Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2008, 09:47 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,027,254 times

Advertisements

It seemed like there were less to me...

Study says global warming not worsening hurricanes - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 08:38 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Don't you sometimes think the experts are confused?

In 2004, their original prediction was for a much-increased incidence of very powerful hurricanes. They actually hadn't predicted the horrible 2004 season, but since then they have very high numbers in their predictions. They keep decreasing that number as the season progresses.

So now they have me confused. Are we still having more then average canes? Are they predicting a lot of canes for this season? IMHO they'll really never figure it out.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:46 PM

120 posts, read 482,104 times
2004 was a very active year in terms of landfalls...that was the year of 'Charlie', 'Frances', 'Ivan' and 'Jeanne'...2005 doesn't require any explanation. 2006 was actually relatively normal historically speaking, and last year was quite active (we got to the 'O' storm). But the last couple of years, we had few strong storms making landfall since they either weakened before hitting the US, missed the US completely, or weren't strong to begin with. So far, it looks like we might luck out again this year, since there's a pretty strong trough along the east coast which might deflect storms out to sea. But it is still too early to say if this pattern will last all summer, and anyway, it only takes one storm to make a season.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:27 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,027,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurrMark View Post
2004 was a very active year in terms of landfalls...that was the year of 'Charlie', 'Frances', 'Ivan' and 'Jeanne'...2005 doesn't require any explanation. 2006 was actually relatively normal historically speaking, and last year was quite active (we got to the 'O' storm). But the last couple of years, we had few strong storms making landfall since they either weakened before hitting the US, missed the US completely, or weren't strong to begin with. So far, it looks like we might luck out again this year, since there's a pretty strong trough along the east coast which might deflect storms out to sea. But it is still too early to say if this pattern will last all summer, and anyway, it only takes one storm to make a season.
Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense. I was wondering if the study was inspired by the '04 & '05 seasons but then lost its impact because of the subsequent seasons. But you are right in pointing out that '07 was active. Because the US got off easy I was remembering it as a quiet year.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:58 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,245,705 times
I live in SE Florida. All of the above named storms went through my area. We were only affected by Wilma in 2005. No power, water, or phone service for a few days....and some trees down.
2006 and 2007 were pretty calm here.
I hope 2008 will be the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes