Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 11:33 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times

Advertisements

With each updated 5-day cone on the NHC website, the predicted path of Ike keeps shifting further and further east. At this point, the center of the projected path puts Ike hitting less than 100 miles southwest of Houston. Considering the northeast quadrant of hurricanes are typically the most fierce part of the storm, and the fact that hurrican force winds are extending out 115 miles from center, I would say this storm will very likely pose major issue for Houston.

The good thing for Houston? Its above sea level, and Ike is expeceted to pick up speed in the coming 48 hours, which means that any storm surge issues will come in the way of temporary flooding and the majority of it will go away as the storm passes.

My company has 5 business locations in Houston, right now only Clearlake is under evacuation orders. Personally, I would prefer everyone who is going to leave to get moving, rather than getting stuck on the interstate for 12-18 hours like they did with Rita.

Galveston is also under the gun and stories of the 1900 storm are a clear reminder of what the gulf is capable of sending to our coastal cities.

I really hope and pray that this storm does not strengthen much more and that it possibly even weakens unexpectedly as Gustav did. That would be the best case scenario, but right now, this looks like a monster that will make Gustav's landfall seem like a lightweight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 06:26 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
TX, I'm sorry to hear that Clear Lake is having to evacuate now, too. Hopefully everyone got out of Galveston. They're the ones who are probably going to get the first strike and it won't be pretty. That irritates me cause I have always said I want to see Galveston some day. Actually though, I just hope that everyone survives this. Things can be replaced if they have to be.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:36 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Yeah, today at work all my co-workers with relatives in Houston didn't seem too concerned believing the storm would be more towards Corpus. But now, yikes!

Old 09-11-2008, 08:43 PM

990 posts, read 3,187,250 times
Best of luck to you guys, stay safe.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:59 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
All 5 of our locations in Houston were closed today. I have a feeling that our Clear Lake location is going to be destroyed. It sits just 2 miles from Galveston bay and is only 7-10 feet above sea level. I will be surprised if it doesn't get inundated with water.

I live and work in Dallas, but even up here we are expected to get 40-50mph winds tomorrow, so we could have some power outages, but nothing major I suspect.

My aunt and uncle are staying in Houston, but they live on the northwest corner about 30 miles inland. I told them they better tape all the windows up and have plenty of canned foods and bottle water. They will likely end up without power for at least a few days.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:11 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Default Houston, We Have A Problem

They do now. It's amazing how weather patterns change over a period of time. I have been praying that Ike's eye would hit a sparsely populated area between Houston and Corpus if it hit the Texas coast. Well, apparently not. It's looking more like Freeport or San Luis Pass taking the direct hit. That eye Ike has is the largest I think I've seen in some time. It's about 120 miles in diameter! The entire eastern half of Texas is going to be affected by this storm, no question. In where I live, the Dallas-Fort Worth area, we're expecting Tropical Storm conditions tomorrow night -- that's how strong those winds will be. Can you imagine tropical depression conditions as far north as Eastern Oklahoma?? That's what we're looking at, folks. Let's just hope Houston gets through this without too much damage. And I don't have to tell you about Galveston.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:15 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
TX, I'm sorry to hear that Clear Lake is having to evacuate now, too. Hopefully everyone got out of Galveston. They're the ones who are probably going to get the first strike and it won't be pretty. That irritates me cause I have always said I want to see Galveston some day. Actually though, I just hope that everyone survives this. Things can be replaced if they have to be.
The way this storm is going, you may get to see part of Galveston, in your back yard.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:16 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
The company I work for also has an office in Galveston. I looked it up on "Google Maps", and it's not on the Gulf side, but at this point I'm not even sure that's going to matter.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:22 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Everyone light a candle, play Glenn Campbell and hold vigil for Galveston.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:21 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Looking at the current loop here it looks like Galveston to points north and east are getting beat up on bad.

Gulf of Mexico Visible Imagery - Satellite Services Division
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes