Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 07:44 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,357,614 times

Advertisements

Just ideas... Ford Fiesta and Focus (both have hatch styles), Hyundai Accent 5 door, Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, Nissan Versa Note (Newly released and very stylish)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 09:09 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,625,580 times
This is honestly a rotten time to buy a car. The 2014 stuff is coming in two months, and mostly has already been announced: 2014 Mazda3, 2014 Kia Forte5, 2014 Kia Soul, 2014 Toyota Corolla (though that isn't a hatch). The Golf redesign should be arriving on our shores soon too. I would recommend anyone looking to buy wait for September. That being said, here's the short list of what's out there and what I think of them, in no particular order.

2013 models with minimal changes for 2014:
Hyundai Elantra GT - Decent feature set, underpowered, transmission hunts, numb steering, I didn't like the suspension much, especially over bumps. Does have Hyundai's OnStar clone, only compact hatch to have telematics, which might make up for the other stuff, unless you're me.
Subaru Impreza - Decent MPGs for an AWD vehicle, soft suspension, but underpowered and the CVT is disconcerting. Needs an engine upgrade but Subaru's afraid to harm their CAFE numbers.
Ford Focus - Nice pickup, handles almost as well as a Mazda3, transmission can be a bit disconcerting but is OK otherwise. Backseat is tiny. Surgeon General's Warning: MyFordTouch can cause high blood pressure, stress, and mental breakdowns. I kid you not, some buyers are suing Ford over the thing. Suspension is less stiff than a Mazda3 but still leans more toward handling than comfort.
Nissan Juke - All-wheel drive, NOT underpowered, but really should use premium fuel, which will cost you at the pump. CVT is a little more refined than Subaru but can still be disconcerting until you get used to it. Comfortable up front, but tiny back seat and cargo area. Handles beautifully, and you still get that SUV seating height. Technically it's a subcompact, but it's priced the same as most compacts.
Hyundai Veloster - Tiny back seat, I don't get the deal with the hatch glass. Sharp looking inside and out. Base engine is underpowered, upgraded turbo engine is the way to go, but you can get the same powertrain in the 2014 Forte5 and get a cooled leather seat while you're at it, so why bother with the Veloster? Oh, wait, it also has Hyundai's OnStar (called BlueLink), guess that counts as a reason. Of course, that's like buying a Chevy just to get OnStar...

A 2013 to think about:
Mazda3 - Great gas mileage with the 2.0L, handles like a slot car, poor cargo space, outdated but servicable interior, exterior grin gives some people nightmares. 2.5L gets rotten gas mileage, stay away. Suspension is a little stiff for some. With the 2014 announced the pricing on these should start getting good.

Re-designed for 2014:
Mazda3 - So far the only ones that have arrived are covered in automotive-journalist drool. They haven't been able to control themselves as they gush about the thing. Can't wait to try one for myself.
Kia Forte5 - Probably bulletproof, interesting set of toys (cooled leather driver's seat, yes!). A little heavy, fuel economy is decent unless you compare it to the Mazda SkyActiv. Kias and Hyundais tend to feel less powerful than their ratings though. Has thorough smartphone integration coming, including navigation with Google Maps. As you noticed, the 2013 is pretty much gone, and good riddance I say.
Kia Soul - This is really a less aerodynamic version of the Forte now, with a slightly detuned 2.0L, and the same transmission. It's actually based on a Euro-only model that they have instead of the Forte (damn them). Larger back seat than the Forte, slightly smaller but more interesting cargo area. If highway MPGs aren't a concern the 2014 Soul could also be a good option, but the Forte will do better on the highway for only a slight loss in rear seat legroom. I wouldn't consider the 2013.

I don't think anyone else has a hatch available in the "common man compact" price range, of which MINI and BMW are not members. Well, Volkswagen has the Golf, but I don't trust their (lack of) reliability. And Fiat has the 500L...but my nearest dealer is 50 miles away, so no thanks.

Of the above, I'd keep an eye on the 2014 Mazda3 and the 2014 Kia Forte5. Both are poised to run away with the segment. CR is already praising the Forte sedan to the skies, and the sport-compact oriented journalists are still slobbering over the Mazda3. The Forte is going to be more appliance oriented, while the Mazda3 will be the more sporty choice. As mentioned, the Soul could also work as a choice if one isn't worried about the highway that often...though it's engine is less powerful than the Forte's 2.0L.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:49 PM

214 posts, read 468,342 times
thanks. good to know. we may not be able to wait, as my son will hopefully (not sure if I want it) pass his driver's license and we will need a second car quickly.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:09 PM

81 posts, read 111,140 times
Default Mazda engine?

As a Mazda5 owner, I am curious about Mazda. Why did they go away from the 2.3? We have the 2.3 in our 2008 Mazda5 and the engine is fantastic. If it were not for the low profile tires and the frequent brake jobs, I would love the Mazda.

It's a strange relationship. On one hand, 27 mpg highway in a mini-van that can hold 6 people, if two are small children age 10 and under. On the other hand, 2 brake jobs so far, and we're 72,000 miles in. Low profile tires, wow, it's pretty easy to get me started cussing if you say those magic words "low profile tires".

I did recently find a good tire shop in McKinney that has a decent price.

The nice low price is right at $101 per tire out-the-door.

This reminds me of either last year or the year before, I got upset again about the low profile tires and called Mazda. The person on the end of the phone said to me "Sir, that is NOT a mini-van". I replied, "Well, we bought it as a mini-van".

If anybody who is reading this wonders, a low-profile tire is designed for sport performance type of activity and the tire itself lasts a shorter amount of time than a regular tire, and costs at least 20% more.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:59 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,625,580 times
It isn't a minivan, it's a tall Mazda3 with two extra seats. Seriously, while it's technically a minivan-like people mover, it's really designed to be sportier than the typical minivan. That's just the way Mazdas are, and I always tell people that. If you're looking for a soft and cushy ride, don't look at Mazda because they have zero interest in catering to you as a customer. An honest Mazda dealer will tell you straight out to go look somewhere else, of offer you whatever other brands they might sell.

I think the 2.5L engine gave them a little more flexibility in design without taking up more room in the engine bay. The original 2.5L was actually the same as the 2.3L, just bored out a little more than before, both that and the old 2.0L were the MZR line of engines, and they're going away (Ford owns them now). The new 2.5L SkyActiv (like in the Mazda6 and CX-5) is an all new high-compression design with direct injection, which gets between 25% and 33% better MPGs than the old 2.3L MZR.

As far as tire/wheel combination...you can buy different wheels so you can use higher profile tires, that might make you like it more. It'll definitely soften the ride some, though it will also soften the handling. There are also Grand Touring tires available in low-profile that will have a longer tread-life while not giving up too much traction (you're probably using performance tires, which have a shorter tread life in exchange for better road grip). Low profile tires are not designed for sport performance, it's the type of tire you're buying that dictates that, though in general the lower profile a tire is, the better the car handles.

But it sounds like the dealer did you a disservice by not making it clear that this is not your typical minivan when you were evaluating it for purchase.

Last edited by npaladin2000; 07-19-2013 at 07:11 AM..

Old 07-30-2014, 08:02 AM

81 posts, read 111,140 times
update on my Mazda. I finally figured out how to handle the tires. I buy new tires for the rear, and used tires for the front.
And whatever I do, I make sure to NOT rotate the tires. Because of the way Mazda specifies the camber/toe, you cannot successfully align the Mazda to drive on standard roads. The camber/toe is set for racing. We now have 85000 miles on the car. We have had one recent problem, can't remember exactly what the "minor" problem was that cost us over $500. Other than that, the frequent brake jobs are the only other thing so far. I've had the coolant and tranny fluid replaced.

Next summer will probably be "timing belt summer", as both of our cars will need timing belt replacement. We also have a 2010 Hyundai Elantra.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:42 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecat1 View Post
update on my Mazda. I finally figured out how to handle the tires. I buy new tires for the rear, and used tires for the front.
And whatever I do, I make sure to NOT rotate the tires. Because of the way Mazda specifies the camber/toe, you cannot successfully align the Mazda to drive on standard roads. The camber/toe is set for racing. We now have 85000 miles on the car. We have had one recent problem, can't remember exactly what the "minor" problem was that cost us over $500. Other than that, the frequent brake jobs are the only other thing so far. I've had the coolant and tranny fluid replaced.

Next summer will probably be "timing belt summer", as both of our cars will need timing belt replacement. We also have a 2010 Hyundai Elantra.
Not sure about your 2008 Mazda5, but my 2010 Mazda5 has a timing chain. Doesn't need service.

Also my car came with Mazda super coolant, doesn't need service until 137K miles. Spark plugs should have been done at 75K, but its a quick and easy job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia