Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 12:10 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times

Advertisements

Was at the Doctor's office and they had a 2009 Consumer Reports new car issue and one of the cars highly recommended in the issue was the Hyundai Elantra. I mention this for all the Korean car haters who regularly cited Consumer Reports. For hatchback lovers, the Elantra Touring is actually a better looking car than the standard Elantra. It's a wagon version of the Elantra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 12:20 PM

366 posts, read 1,374,550 times
yawn.................

Old 07-27-2009, 12:52 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew303 View Post
yawn.................
Consumer Reports top car picks for 2009 - Hyundai Elantra - Los Angeles Times
Consumer Reports top car picks for 2009

Consumer Reports magazine released its list of top new- and used-vehicle picks for 2009.

Best small sedan: Hyundai Elantra SE

Consumer Reports says, "The Elantra SE is a comfortable, roomy small car that provides plenty of features for the money. Only the SE version comes with standard electronic stability control, which is absent on many other small cars."

Price: $18,695.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:56 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,337,548 times
I have learned not to mess with Hyundai owners. It's not that I'm a convert to the brand or anything. I just know they'll come get me. After the car is more "accepted" the defensive nature of the owners will subside. It's all good. I'm sure the early Honda and Toyota owners in the states caught tons of hell and had to be defensive. I remember the older folks called them "rice burners" for the longest. :-)

Old 07-27-2009, 01:08 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,100,903 times
I'm pretty defensive of the brand and I'm not even a current owner! I've seen some ignorant/racist people call any Asian make a rice burner, this includes Honda/Toyota. I don't like the Elantra because it doesn't fit the class of vehicle I look for but I understand it as a very competitive product in its field.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:26 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I've seen some ignorant/racist people call any Asian make a rice burner, this includes Honda/Toyota.
The ones I call "rice burners" are the Too fast too furious wannabees, the ones that have the ridiculous jacked up spoilers, fart can exhausts, lame stickers, mismatching gfx, etc. I know some American cars are like this (Cavaliers, Neons, etc), but the majority are imports. If that makes me seem racist than so be it.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:28 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,887,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I'm pretty defensive of the brand and I'm not even a current owner! I've seen some ignorant/racist people call any Asian make a rice burner, this includes Honda/Toyota. I don't like the Elantra because it doesn't fit the class of vehicle I look for but I understand it as a very competitive product in its field.
There is nothing ignorant or racist about calling them rice burners, it's a common, excepted nick name used by everyone, including asians. If it's a stock car, it's a rice burner, if it's a hot rod, it's a rice rocket.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:34 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,100,903 times
I don't know anyone within my circles that would call a stock car a rice burner and I hang out with a good deal of Asian's/Pacific Islanders. It is racist and not accepted around anyone I know in northern California.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:37 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,337,548 times
Yeah, it is a geographic thing. I didn't mean to strike a nerve by recounting the old farts calling imports "rice burners" back in the 70s. I know that term can be offensive. I was told the term originated from lingering anti-Japanese sentiments, post WWII.

My point is that Hyundai or any "new" brand is going to catch hell among car people for a while. It will take a while for them to be accepted as good cars -- just like the Japanese cars had to deal with back in the day.....

Old 07-27-2009, 02:40 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,284,711 times
I rented a Hyundai Elantra and drove it across the state a couple of times. It was awful. I don't think they've heard of sound deadening, the seats were hard, the armrests in unusable locations, and the whole thing seemed tinny. If it were cheaper, I could understand. But there are better cars out there for the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia