Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 11:11 AM

8 posts, read 52,539 times

Advertisements

I work remotely, all I need is my laptop and Wi-Fi and I'm deciding between the safest and cheapest cities. My list:
Cedar Rapids, IA
Columbia, SC
Wichita falls, TX
Fayetteville, AR
Idaho falls, ID

The city that scores the most, wins for me. At the moment Idaho Falls is #1, then I read in some forums elsewhere that if you are not Mormon you will regret moving to Idaho Falls, because of "bullying". Is that right?

A fun thing is the whole side family of my wife is Mormon, but neither me nor my wife are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 11:29 AM

Nevermind, I did a search in this own forum and found what I needed. Sorry for the repeating question, notice this is a common topic here.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:36 AM

385 posts, read 526,090 times
I'm a non-Mormon who just moved here from a very large city back East. Happy to report that I haven't encountered any bullying. In fact, the Mormon population has been very welcoming. Also nobody has preached to me nor have they tried to pressure me to attend church. And you're absolutely right that Idaho Falls is safe and inexpensive. I've found it's pretty much perfect here and I don't see myself leaving anytime soon

Old 10-25-2013, 11:45 AM

Thank you!

Yes, Idaho Falls looks amazing. If you want to see my list with the 24 safest and cheapest US cities, then it has another sheet with the TOP 4: http://goo.gl/VEvhLn (ok after a thousand edits I realised links don't work).

1st) Idaho Falls
2nd) Fayetteville, AR
3rd) Cedar Rapids, IA
4th) Wichita Falls, TX

Old 10-25-2013, 11:50 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,432,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp4 View Post
I'm a non-Mormon who just moved here from a very large city back East. Happy to report that I haven't encountered any bullying. In fact, the Mormon population has been very welcoming. Also nobody has preached to me nor have they tried to pressure me to attend church. And you're absolutely right that Idaho Falls is safe and inexpensive. I've found it's pretty much perfect here and I don't see myself l eaving anytime soon
Always great to have those who have lived the truth address old rumors.

Thanks tmp4. Hope you got connected with volunteering opportunities you were looking for. As you know, volunteers serve people not a religion. I just hope others want to become involved with the community .

MSR

Old 10-25-2013, 10:21 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,660,903 times
Guess what, I posted a similar post to yours when I moved here in 2006-2007. Nothing has changed. Mormans don't bully.

This thread comes up almost every year. I'm tired of commenting on it. Try looking at some old posts on this. Nothing has changed. Sorry to be so dismissive, but the truth can be found on this site.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:32 PM

115 posts, read 120,249 times
Go ahead and move to Idaho Falls, maybe you'll be on the new TV show that is in the works "Mormon Mafia"

Good Luck, don't forget to carry a Book of Mormon in the outside pocket of your laptop case, hahah

Old 10-25-2013, 10:36 PM

115 posts, read 120,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredbaudisch View Post
I work remotely, all I need is my laptop and Wi-Fi and I'm deciding between the safest and cheapest cities. My list:
Cedar Rapids, IA
Columbia, SC
Wichita falls, TX
Fayetteville, AR
Idaho falls, ID

The city that scores the most, wins for me. At the moment Idaho Falls is #1, then I read in some forums elsewhere that if you are not Mormon you will regret moving to Idaho Falls, because of "bullying". Is that right?

A fun thing is the whole side family of my wife is Mormon, but neither me nor my wife are.

Also, you're list is full of ERRORS.

Wichita Falls is LOCATED in TORNADO ALLEY.

How is that "safest"?

I have lived in boring places in my life, but I wouldn't want to live in any of your top 5 places you have listed. I think you need to rework how you made your list, because it is really an inaccurate list and the cities all are terrible places to live in.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:02 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times
Hi, alfred...
I was born here in I.F., and have lived most of my life here.
I've never been bullied for my non-Mormon religion, ever. Neither have my children, my extended family, and all the other folks I know who are not LDS.

I have many, many very good Mormon friends. As a group, speaking in general terms, the LDS are just like everyone else. They are all Americans and we all share the same culture out here.

The big differences come when the chips are down. If there's a natural disaster or something, the LDS are the first to show up, and the last to leave. If a person becomes disable or sick, his Mormon neighbors will always be quick to check on him or bring a big pot of chicken soup over.

I'm sure you would be very happy living here. Idaho Falls is a beautiful city full of nice people.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:11 AM

6,260 posts, read 5,067,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredbaudisch View Post
Cedar Rapids, IA
Columbia, SC
Wichita falls, TX
Fayetteville, AR
Idaho falls, ID

Alfred, you're a stats and data kinda guy and I understand that after looking over your spreadsheet. Nothing wrong with that at all. Do you plan on visiting your top choices in person as well? The reason I ask is from personal experience.

I was offered a position in one of the most beautiful towns in the country. They flew me all the way across the country for a two day interview process, along with two other candidates. We were chosen as a result of a national search. I was selected as the top candidate. I did a ton of research before flying out there and tons more after I was offered the job. Beautiful town, unlimited access to outdoor recreation, excellent salary and benefits. I accepted the position, and resigned exhausted and dejected 15 months later.

I won't go into the details but suffice to say that I was crushed by both people below me and people above me, the quality of my life deteriorated sharply, and it was the most toxic environment I had ever lived and worked in. The sheer level of dysfunction was stunning. 10 other managers (within our one department) left in the time I was there. From the outside looking in you would never know that. I say that after having actually BEEN there for a few days during the interview process, and I STILL didn't recognize it (although the huge number of inmates who were running the asylum had learned to hide their dysfunction very well so I won't beat myself up too badly). I was living in the most beautiful insane asylum you could ever imagine, and after struggling to make it work for 15 months (actually about 13 months - it went bad fast) when I was done I was done. I couldn't blow out of town fast enough.

My point? Numbers and stats don't tell the whole story. You have to see a place in person (and look at it with a critical eye) to really know if it is a good fit for you and your wife. If it turns out to be one of your top choices and you're planning on visiting IF in person, just disregard my post. Hope you find a great new home that is a great fit for you and your family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
View detailed profiles of: