Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 11:02 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,435,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Alfred, you're a stats and data kinda guy and I understand that after looking over your spreadsheet. Nothing wrong with that at all. Do you plan on visiting your top choices in person as well? The reason I ask is from personal experience.

I was offered a position in one of the most beautiful towns in the country. They flew me all the way across the country for a two day interview process, along with two other candidates. We were chosen as a result of a national search. I was selected as the top candidate. I did a ton of research before flying out there and tons more after I was offered the job. Beautiful town, unlimited access to outdoor recreation, excellent salary and benefits. I accepted the position, and resigned exhausted and dejected 15 months later.

I won't go into the details but suffice to say that I was crushed by both people below me and people above me, the quality of my life deteriorated sharply, and it was the most toxic environment I had ever lived and worked in. The sheer level of dysfunction was stunning. 10 other managers (within our one department) left in the time I was there. From the outside looking in you would never know that. I say that after having actually BEEN there for a few days during the interview process, and I STILL didn't recognize it (although the huge number of inmates who were running the asylum had learned to hide their dysfunction very well so I won't beat myself up too badly). I was living in the most beautiful insane asylum you could ever imagine, and after struggling to make it work for 15 months (actually about 13 months - it went bad fast) when I was done I was done. I couldn't blow out of town fast enough.

My point? Numbers and stats don't tell the whole story. You have to see a place in person (and look at it with a critical eye) to really know if it is a good fit for you and your wife. If it turns out to be one of your top choices and you're planning on visiting IF in person, just disregard my post. Hope you find a great new home that is a great fit for you and your family!
Juneau,

Respectfully, NO ONE should disregard your post. You force critical evaluation by the one who might move somewhere. I love your post!

Relocating when one has options (not being transferred by a company to X city) requires more than internet data.

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 10:14 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,662,795 times
I didn't mean to be disrespectfull of your post. I'm just tired of repeating that the LDS church does not make a habit of bullying non-members. It simply does not exist. Perhaps this image is in major need of a makeover. How do we get there? Not sure, but one way is to have other non-LDS members add their comments here.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:36 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,265,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
I didn't mean to be disrespectfull of your post. I'm just tired of repeating that the LDS church does not make a habit of bullying non-members. It simply does not exist. Perhaps this image is in major need of a makeover. How do we get there? Not sure, but one way is to have other non-LDS members add their comments here.
We relocated here in '91 from the Central Valley of California where it is more of a melting pot. Even with the company my husband worked for up until 2007 being owned by an LDS family we never faced any issues of bullying. I deal with people from many walks of life daily at work and no issues there either.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:35 PM

Default Time to reconsider how WE answer this repeated ? Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post

And so am I after so many years of addressing this outdated question that appears in various ways and titles. LDS and non- LDS HAVE answered this question repeatedly.

I don't disagree with you, pw72, but it is such a non-issue except for those who want to make it an issue, I'm not sure anyone else thinks it is worth the effort.

Perhaps those of us looking at this question for probably the 4-5th time in 2013 have two or three other options:

1. Search ourselves for the similar posts in the past year and paste the links here. Credit is due to this particular OP who mentioned the search feature others can use too. Most don't.

2. Ask Sage if those threads can be merged.

3. Start an Welcome to Idaho Falls basic type of sub-thread that hopefully Sage could post at the top and include a statement about the Ammon vs. I.F. boundaries, where to get weather info, 24 hr. restaurants, the LDS church, the 64 or more different churches, INL, Great Radio Stations to listen to that have lots of community info on their websites, roads to avoid and 24 hr. emergency care for pets etc.

Those are just three ideas but I probably will start to swear in a post if this subject is posted again before 2015. Others may have better or different ideas or not be as fatigued by this question as I.

Sometimes, correction, often I don't think those asking for all the info to have the best move possible understand we are using our off time to answer their questions. Then as they get settled into their new life here we rarely have them join us for discussions or ask how they can give back.

tmp4's thread about volunteering was to give back was so refreshing for me.

Juneau has been a pleasant surprise to join discussions or ask questions that benefit locals and those considering a move. Warden contributed in a unique way that benefits many.

I don't think anyone here sales real estate so what is the payoff to each of us to even answer questions? Each person has to answer that him/herself.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 11-02-2013 at 10:51 PM..

Old 11-03-2013, 07:40 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,948,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Those are just three ideas but I probably will start to swear in a post if this subject is posted again before 2015.
Try hanging out on the Salt Lake City forum if you think the Idaho Falls one has problems this way. (I know, you occasionally do.)

Old 11-03-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Try hanging out on the Salt Lake City forum if you think the Idaho Falls one has problems this way. (I know, you occasionally do.)
Katzpur, I do write in SLC and general. UT posts. I don't post on this particular subject there.

If I remember correctly didn't you post on the latest thread I started about Jon Huntsman, Sr.'s latest donation to The Huntsman Cancer Institute and the significant donation the LDS church made as well? The additional facility will benefit people worldwide regards of their religion or if they don't share any Judeo- Christian beliefs.

One of the posts I still get reps on I wrote years ago about being non- LDS in Logan.

And I cringe when I read the post by the extremely tolerant non-LDS family in West Jordan who attend most LDS functions in their ward, yet were shunned by some while being totally welcomed back to UT and embraced by the rest of their ward. You know the family I'm referencing who chose to return to SLC metro vs. something like five other metro areas.

Maybe we need your outstanding post, IMHO, copied and pasted here with Idaho written instead of UT.

And while slightly off-topic, ty again for your rep you gave me when I posted about UTA and how to use the Green Line from SLC to downtown.

Many don't understand the connections (economic, medical and more) between SLC and Idaho Falls. Assumptions are made it's all about the LDS Church which is not correct. Please feel to post here again.

The nice thing about CDF is one with current knowledge can post from any location. Southern Belle is proof of that. What matters are the facts about the issue of the thread. My knowledge and experiences can be posted from 84109, 84124, 84117 or 84047. You'll know what threads I have just referenced and might find comments from me in some. Likewise, accurate info can be posted from 83404 etc.

Thanks for your post Katzpur

MSR

Old 11-04-2013, 06:59 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,332 times
A general "Welcome to IF Area" thread containing helpful info for newcomers is great, and I can make it a sticky. Someone can get it started, and then others can append to it and I'll keep those merged into the main post.

With regard to LDS posts, in the past I did one "official discussion on LDS" and just deleted all others. But it does come up at other intervals here and again. If necessary we can resurrect that thread and do the same thing again...

Old 11-23-2013, 07:43 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,521,394 times
As an adult, I have never been bullied in SE Idaho by Mormons. I will however say that I personally know people who have experienced workplace discrimination, as well as inappropriate hiring questions. And to say "Mormons don't bully" completely disregards the seriously profound extent of bullying in high schools, especially, in our experience, in Bingham County schools.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:08 PM

8 posts, read 20,178 times
We're not a member of the LDS church. We haven't encountered any bullying or weirdness from people who are from the LDS church. Actually, quite the opposite. We have many families that are LDS that are our neighbors and they are lovely! (of course they are!), they're not strange by any means, their just like the rest of us who want to be neighborly and friendly and that don't push that we need to join their church. They do encourage us, but in a loving way, we did have missionaries come by and we just told them, thank you but no thank you. After that, our neighbors still remain friendly and nice to us. I love it here, in Idaho Falls, we couldn't imagine being anywhere else, quite honestly. So pretty here and the people are very friendly. It's very quiet and relaxing here. We're from out-of-state too, and I can't imagine moving back………EVER…. (God-willing).

Old 12-10-2013, 08:56 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Hi, alfred...
I was born here in I.F., and have lived most of my life here.
I've never been bullied for my non-Mormon religion, ever. Neither have my children, my extended family, and all the other folks I know who are not LDS.

I have many, many very good Mormon friends. As a group, speaking in general terms, the LDS are just like everyone else. They are all Americans and we all share the same culture out here.

The big differences come when the chips are down. If there's a natural disaster or something, the LDS are the first to show up, and the last to leave. If a person becomes disable or sick, his Mormon neighbors will always be quick to check on him or bring a big pot of chicken soup over.

I'm sure you would be very happy living here. Idaho Falls is a beautiful city full of nice people.
Mormons are great people-part of my family lives in Logan, UT (approx 90% Mormon) and are non LDS. They have been treated with great kindness over the years and have been helped on many occasions. You may be not wholly integrated in a heavily LDS area like IF or Logan, but you will not be ignored or forgotten.

Every time I pass through IF, I think it would be a great place to live/raise a family etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
View detailed profiles of: