Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 07:08 PM

16 posts, read 44,937 times

Advertisements

Hello All, I am moving from Massachusetts to Idaho Falls. I was wondering if I can get some information on the town. I have been through it numerous times, and seen the fireworks on the 4th. It seems like a nice place to raise a family. However I noticed the pay is quite low. I would be around 60,000. Can you live in Idaho Falls on that with a family of 4? IS the quality of life decent? Any help or info would be sooo appreciated. I have gotten online but it seems like all the cost comparisons are behind in their data.
Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 08:04 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,891,255 times
Cost of living is much much cheaper than Mass.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:36 PM

121 posts, read 738,471 times
The cost of living here is much less than Massachusetts. A family of four can do ok on 60k if you have a job with good benefits (medical, retirement). I'd recommend a second household income if possible. You won't live like a king but you won't be on public assistance either. The low wages are one reason Idaho Falls has the lowest unemployment rate in the country. The employers can hire more people for less money and still afford their mansions on the hill.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:23 PM

26 posts, read 101,087 times
Where at in Massachussettes? My aunt and uncle just moved here from Burlington.

As far as cost of living, ditto to what everyone else has said. Idaho is much less expensive and a family of four could definitely get by on $60,000/year.

Here's something that's kind of fun. It's a cost of living calculator. You can enter in what you made in Massachussettes and it will show you what you'll need to make in Idaho to maintain the same standard of living. Or, you can do it in reverse, Idaho moving to Mass., and it will show what 60,000 equate to in Mass.

http://www.payscale.com/cost-of-livi...FQUngwodWT41XA

Old 12-30-2007, 09:45 PM

16 posts, read 44,937 times
I am coming from Dudley, MA. 20 minutes south of Worcester. Pronounced wooster. lol. Funny accents out here

Old 12-31-2007, 07:37 PM

57 posts, read 238,686 times
Oddest thing in the world the first time I traveled out of the NW region was to hear I had an accent! And there I thought everybody else did!

Old 01-09-2008, 03:19 PM

215 posts, read 878,669 times
Can anyone provide some info about restaurants and shopping in Idaho Falls? I'm looking into a job in the area and would like a feel for exactly what the area has to offer in terms of shopping and dining.

Thanks.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:47 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,281,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Waffle View Post
Can anyone provide some info about restaurants and shopping in Idaho Falls? I'm looking into a job in the area and would like a feel for exactly what the area has to offer in terms of shopping and dining.

Thanks.
Several chains for both; Olive Garden, Wingers, Pizza Hut, Domino's, Papa John's, Texas Roadhouse, Outback, Circuit City, Walmart, Grand Teton Mall (core stores are Dillard's, Macy's, JCP and Sears), Best Buy, Target, Albertson's grocery and many more along with locally owned businesses.

Hope this helps

Old 01-14-2008, 05:31 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,451,866 times
Smile Local, Regional and National

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Waffle View Post

Thanks.
Some of the best restuarants are those that are locally owned. It can be fun to explore. The same for shopping. Some real hidden treasures, depending on what one is looking for.

Idaho Falls often gets chains from Salt Lake City (Ruby River, Iggy's etc.). Retail often followis the same pattern. However, geographically, the area still gets a nice influence from the northwest. There are more than one Sushi restaurants.

Snake River Landing will have more upscale shopping when it is finished being developed. I've heard a lot of names, but until I see something more official, I can't say.

Rumors of a larger department store, but nothing I'd bank on yet. However, easy access to large metro markets via direct flights.

Cleosmom has given you a good condensed version of what is available.

I hope that helps!

MSR

Old 01-15-2008, 10:39 AM

215 posts, read 878,669 times
^Wow; more than one sushi restaurant? Really!?!? That's great news!

Is there anything in terms of Home Depot or Lowe's?

Also another big one: Costco?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls