Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 08:14 PM

15 posts, read 60,397 times

Advertisements

Me and the family, recently visited Idaho Falls. My wife and three children loved it. I have a few questions, I've had trouble finding answered on this forum. I understand that Idaho is conservative, and leans right. As do my wife and I. As a Ron Paul supporter, I don't believe in the current conflicts, or war in general, when its not needed. I am not into hunting, but see no problem with it. I understand the need, and eat meat We're not crunchy, but we do like to eat healthy, and are anti vaccines. My arms are tattooed, sleaved, but my children and wife don't have any Heres are my questions to anyone that might be able to help.

Is the area mostly pro war?

Are tattoos frowned upon, will I get strange looks?

Is the area predominantly against or for forced vaccinations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 09:04 PM

432 posts, read 533,944 times
Tatoos, don't worry. Plenty of folks have em, we ain't that far right.

Vaccines, you may want to check with the school districts, I believe they are mandatory for most.

And pro war, probably not. I can't imagine any sane person really is.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:52 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,766,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFGuy View Post
...pro-war, probably not. I can't imagine any sane person really is.
I have not read so much truth in so few words as IFGuy wrote here. Well done.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:11 PM

75 posts, read 87,416 times
There are many veterans in Idaho Falls, as the Navy had a training center here from the 50s through the 90s, and many of us married our sweethearts we met here while training. I did 22 years on submarines myself.

I still don't know anyone that is pro-war.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:55 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
I must echo the replies above mine. While not pro war, we do indeed support our soldiers as most sane people do.

Tats? No worries there either, might limit your job placement depending of course what field you're in. I just got my first this Spring, an ode to my pup that I put down three years ago this month. I work in a grocery store and many of my co-workers have ink, but some do have to wear a cover sleeve or it needs to be discreetly placed.

Hunting? I get it when it comes to meat, not a large supporter of trophy hunting, I have several friends that do hunt.

As for vaccinating your children, while it is mandatory for Idaho schools, there are exemptions available from what I've seen.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:43 AM

I should clarify, what i meant by pro war. I meant more in the lines of whether schools are promoting it to the students. Or if theres a prejudice against anti war folks. I respect IF, don't want to change a thing. I'm trying to see if we're the right fit. I do appreciate all the responses, thanks so much!

Old 07-13-2015, 03:09 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifornianWantingOut View Post
I should clarify, what i meant by pro war. I meant more in the lines of whether schools are promoting it to the students. Or if theres a prejudice against anti war folks. I respect IF, don't want to change a thing. I'm trying to see if we're the right fit. I do appreciate all the responses, thanks so much!
I know of no promotion in the schools. I doubt there's any prejudice against anti-war people, but this isn't a topic that is discussed very much, at least that I'm aware of.

There was a lot more pro-soldier display going on in the early years of the century, but as our vets have come home, most of it has disappeared.

But I.F. is a highly patriotic city. You will see flags displayed on all our patriotic holidays all over town regularly. And I think that, in general, our citizens are pretty highly civically engaged as well. While Idaho is a conservative state, and in general I.F. is a conservative town, at the same time it is also very civically progressive and always has been.
it fits well with our entrepreneurial spirit, which has always been very strong here, ever since the earliest founding of the community.

Idaho Falls has always been willing to step up and pass bonds for city improvement- we were the first community to electrify, building our own power plant, the first to dig deep wells for city water, while the rest of the region still pumped city water out of the Snake River, and one of the first to build city parks and civic recreation facilities.
We are still doing all that stuff. That's an integral part of what makes Idaho Falls what it is.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:23 PM

I will say that the people we did meet, out and about, were very pleasant. Which we found quite refreshing! And the best part was seeing a volunteers sign on a little structure being built by the falls. I noticed that each day new people were there helping, thats something special. Something, I think the entire country needs right now. Community pride over personal pride!

Old 07-15-2015, 02:35 PM

5 posts, read 10,787 times
I noticed your comment on vaccines... we have been looking at Idaho about 2 yrs now. BUT with the passing of AB277 we are really, really hoping to move! I homeschool completely independently so the bill does not directly effect us. I do believe it will be only a matter of time before an additional bill will be passed going after the homeschooling community also.
I did find this on Idaho State Requirements site:

EXEMPTIONS:
Idaho law allows a parent/guardian to claim an exemption from immunization requirements for their child for medical, religious, or personal reasons. All exemptions must be documented on the official State of Idaho form provided by the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare, Immunization Program. A medical exemption requires the signature of a licensed physician and certification that the child has a medical condition which prevents him or her from receiving required vaccinations. The law does not allow parents/guardians to claim an exemption because the shot record is lost or incomplete, or because it is too much trouble to contact the physician or clinic and obtain a copy. Schools should maintain an up-to-date list of pupils with exemptions so they can be excluded quickly if an outbreak occurs.

So it looks like they have the same exemptions Ca did...or does currently until 2016.

Hope that helped

Last edited by medic2rn2mom; 07-15-2015 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: more info...ID deosnt require a DR sign for personal or religious exemption

Old 07-16-2015, 12:58 AM

Much appreciated! Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls