Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2023, 08:34 PM

240 posts, read 236,073 times

Advertisements

Living in the Boise area and taking work trips to the SLC region I have noticed natives in Northern Utah tend to be much more outwardly friendly than people in SW Idaho. Not sure if that has to do with Mormon presence, if my experiences have been just incidental or some other 3rd thing. I have have only driven through East Idaho but I wonder if people there tend to be more similar to Northern Utah than folks over in the Trasure Valley and up through McCall, given the stronger geographical and cultural ties.

Is SE Idaho culturally different from SW Idaho in any significant way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2023, 09:46 PM

560 posts, read 435,763 times
I'm willing to bet the SW folks that aren't overly friendly are transplants from other states.

Old 09-22-2023, 10:20 PM

1,066 posts, read 782,609 times
I live in Boise and spent much of summer 2022 in SLC. In my experience people are about equally nice in both places. Boise Nice is a real thing, and SLC has the LDS influence which is a little standoffish but still nice. SLC is a bigger metro and the drivers are crazy. The Wasatch mountains are more dramatic and beautiful than the Boise Mountains, but I think Boise is prettier and nicer within the city. Both great cities filled with nice folks.

Last edited by AnythingOutdoors; 09-22-2023 at 10:47 PM..

Old 09-22-2023, 10:55 PM

240 posts, read 236,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
I'm willing to bet the SW folks that aren't overly friendly are transplants from other states.
Could be the case but in my experience as a transplant, it feels more like reservation towards outsiders. This is a generalization, and I also wouldn't say people here are generally rude. But, I've definitely sensed contempt in some people. There seems to be an interesting generational pattern where I've had no issues with younger people around my age range, and the friendliest people I've interacted here have tended to be seniors who have lived here for decades. The overtly unfriendly people I've interacted with have tended to be middle-aged, sometimes on the lower end but most often on the tail end of that bracket.

Quote:
I live in Boise and spent much of summer 2022 in SLC. In my experience people are about equally nice in both places. Boise Nice is a real thing, and SLC has the LDS influence which is a little standoffish but still nice. SLC is a bigger metro and the drivers are crazy. The Wasatch mountains are more dramatic and beautiful than the Boise Mountains, but I think Boise is prettier and nicer within the city.
No disagreement on the drivers or Boise being a nicer city, although I have heard good things about Lehi where I have not yet ventured down to.

But, a good number of the people I interact with in Boise are transplants. I was moreso referring to the areas surrounding Boise: Nampa, Caldwell, Marsing, McCall, etc. But even in Boise, I've interacted with a fair number of people who seemed to be completely disintereted in socializing. SLC proper I did not like much at all, by SLC-region I was moreso referring to suburbs within that metro.

As far as the Pocatello - Idaho Falls region is concerned, people are generally sociable then?

Old 09-23-2023, 10:48 AM

60 posts, read 38,532 times
You're not likely to get a hello from most people you walk past in East Idaho. People are very reserved here

Old 09-23-2023, 07:10 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude2 View Post
You're not likely to get a hello from most people you walk past in East Idaho. People are very reserved here
I have never found that to be the case, but I grew up here.
I think that if a newcomer becomes civically active there's a much greater possibility they'll find folks aren't as reserved as they may appear to be.

The activity doesn't have to be any big deal- a guy who likes to coach little league baseball, for example, can make lots of new friends by simply joining the local little league and asking for something to do.

The folks who move in and seldom go out to mingle will have a harder time fitting in because they are slower to learn Idaho's social mannerisms.

Old 09-23-2023, 09:08 PM

560 posts, read 435,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealheadrun23 View Post
Could be the case but in my experience as a transplant, it feels more like reservation towards outsiders. This is a generalization, and I also wouldn't say people here are generally rude. But, I've definitely sensed contempt in some people. There seems to be an interesting generational pattern where I've had no issues with younger people around my age range, and the friendliest people I've interacted here have tended to be seniors who have lived here for decades. The overtly unfriendly people I've interacted with have tended to be middle-aged, sometimes on the lower end but most often on the tail end of that bracket.?
As a transplant myself I mostly concur here. Being friendly and willing to integrate to the way of life and behavior here is key. I would agree that the age bracket of 35-50 seems to be where most of the unfriendliness comes from when I experience it. Though my experience is mostly in NID so could be a different data point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I think that if a newcomer becomes civically active there's a much greater possibility they'll find folks aren't as reserved as they may appear to be.

The activity doesn't have to be any big deal- a guy who likes to coach little league baseball, for example, can make lots of new friends by simply joining the local little league and asking for something to do.

The folks who move in and seldom go out to mingle will have a harder time fitting in because they are slower to learn Idaho's social mannerisms.
^ All of this is spot on.

Old 09-24-2023, 01:14 PM

60 posts, read 38,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

I also was born and raised here. I agree that making friends is based on your own engagement. But I do stand by my previous comment. I hardly ever get acknowledgement from strangers I walk by on the street

Old 09-25-2023, 10:25 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude2 View Post
You'll have to explain why anyone deserves to have everyone who walks past them say hello. That's a strange sort of entitlement. Nobody is that important that they have the right to be acknowledged wherever they are, at any time they happen to be there..

Old 09-25-2023, 10:54 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
I think part of the issue is that the towns mentioned are all bigger freeway towns/cities. People are coming and going in both/all directions, so the locals tend to see more people stopping for a meal and gas, and maybe a drive around town before/after checking into a motel for the night. Interacting with these transients is much different than interacting with someone who has moved to the area, or is visiting the area for an extended period of time. Also, off freeway towns that don't see a lot of new people passing through tend to see the uniqueness of a visiting person and might be more open to interacting socially (or possibly closed off completely, but I haven't seen that). For example, we RV often to Arco, McKay, Challis areas. We've always found the local folks very accepting and open to various conversations at local businesses/watering holes, or when we run into people while fishing or rockhounding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls