Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 01:28 PM

72 posts, read 264,453 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I figured I won't have any problem finding one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 07:42 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Question Have You Checked Idaho Falls Magazine Recently? - There is a Change Coming.....

Western Heart,

You wrote, "MSR, I'm sure it's a bit strange in this day and age; but I prefer printed, foldable maps when I'm going to be using them to learn my way around a new area. I like to be able to utilize the entire map at the same time without having to zoom to a specific area.

Too, I don't drive; and having an actual map that I can take with me has always proven to be invaluable."

Not a problem - we all do things differently. Glad you were able to get what YOU liked and needed!

You also wrote the following:

Originally Posted by WesternHeart
Just to give y'all an update . . .

My packet from the Chamber was waiting for me at the post office today.

They did an absolutely wonderful job:
* A great, printed, foldable map
* The current issue of Prospectus
* A relocation packet with very useful and necessary information.

I have a lot of reading to do now.

My thanks to everyone who participated in this thread."

Cleosmom wrote:

"Glad to know you got it. Did they include the current issue of the Idaho Falls magazine?"

Have either of you, Cleosmom, or WesternHeart, visited the Idaho Falls Magazine webpage recently? As of 01/09, Idaho Falls Magazine will no longer be free. Residents can subscribe or purchase one at various locations in the area. Additionally, Harris Publishing will be placing the self-dispense newspaper holders in Boise, Pocatello and Jackson Hole, so residents there can purchase a copy of Idaho Falls Magazine.

The web content will continue to be accessible for free, per the news release. There is a lot of information on their website and their forums are horribly underused. A lot of local discussion could occur if people would register to be users at Idaho Falls Magazine. Unlike one local format, this forum is "watched" a bit, meaning brawls don't seem to occur, from what I've read. I believe inappropriate posts have been removed by the editorial staff supervising the forums.

Anyway, checkout this annoucement for yourselves at: Idaho Falls Magazine.

Personally, I'm glad to see Harris Publishing make this move. The fee is so little for a subscription. I pay the subscription fee already, given that I have one copy sent out of state. I recently "won" a gift certificate for one of the finer dining restaurants in the area, from I.F. Magazine, since I was one of X (unknown to me) users who paid for a subscription.

Let me know what you think about this change with Idaho Falls Magazine. Just to be clear, in no way am I connected with Harris Publishing or Idaho Falls Magazine. However, I have been a fan and promoted their website or previously complimentary copies to those looking to relocate as I thought so much useful information was in each issue and the website.

Please post your thoughts about this change.

Thanks-

MSR

Old 10-19-2008, 08:09 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Western Heart,

You wrote, "MSR, I'm sure it's a bit strange in this day and age; but I prefer printed, foldable maps when I'm going to be using them to learn my way around a new area. I like to be able to utilize the entire map at the same time without having to zoom to a specific area.

Too, I don't drive; and having an actual map that I can take with me has always proven to be invaluable."

Not a problem - we all do things differently. Glad you were able to get what YOU liked and needed!

You also wrote the following:

Originally Posted by WesternHeart
Just to give y'all an update . . .

My packet from the Chamber was waiting for me at the post office today.

They did an absolutely wonderful job:
* A great, printed, foldable map
* The current issue of Prospectus
* A relocation packet with very useful and necessary information.

I have a lot of reading to do now.

My thanks to everyone who participated in this thread."

Cleosmom wrote:

"Glad to know you got it. Did they include the current issue of the Idaho Falls magazine?"

Have either of you, Cleosmom, or WesternHeart, visited the Idaho Falls Magazine webpage recently? As of 01/09, Idaho Falls Magazine will no longer be free. Residents can subscribe or purchase one at various locations in the area. Additionally, Harris Publishing will be placing the self-dispense newspaper holders in Boise, Pocatello and Jackson Hole, so residents there can purchase a copy of Idaho Falls Magazine.

The web content will continue to be accessible for free, per the news release. There is a lot of information on their website and their forums are horribly underused. A lot of local discussion could occur if people would register to be users at Idaho Falls Magazine. Unlike one local format, this forum is "watched" a bit, meaning brawls don't seem to occur, from what I've read. I believe inappropriate posts have been removed by the editorial staff supervising the forums.

Anyway, checkout this annoucement for yourselves at: Idaho Falls Magazine.

Personally, I'm glad to see Harris Publishing make this move. The fee is so little for a subscription. I pay the subscription fee already, given that I have one copy sent out of state. I recently "won" a gift certificate for one of the finer dining restaurants in the area, from I.F. Magazine, since I was one of X (unknown to me) users who paid for a subscription.

Let me know what you think about this change with Idaho Falls Magazine. Just to be clear, in no way am I connected with Harris Publishing or Idaho Falls Magazine. However, I have been a fan and promoted their website or previously complimentary copies to those looking to relocate as I thought so much useful information was in each issue and the website.

Please post your thoughts about this change.

Thanks-

MSR
Hmmm I wasn't aware of that factoid at all and not sure what I think The realist in me knows that one cannot cover all costs via advertising, however I thought it was a kind gesture to have it free. I'm guessing they will either stop sending it to me directly or somehow inform those of us who don't peruse the website of the change in the hard copy.

Hopefully they will send a complimentary copy to potential new residents

Old 10-20-2008, 08:43 AM

72 posts, read 264,453 times
Thanks for the information, Mtn States Resident; I appreciate that.

I haven't been to their website yet, but will check it out.

I'll be in Idaho Falls by the end of the week; I'm pretty jazzed about it.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:36 AM

WesternHeart, if you're in need of finding anything when you arrive, feel free to drop me a direct message as I check this on a daily basis.

Safe travels coming to IF

Old 10-20-2008, 11:18 AM

Question I've Been Thinking.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
WesternHeart, if you're in need of finding anything when you arrive, feel free to drop me a direct message as I check this on a daily basis.

Safe travels coming to IF
Yes, WesternHeart, Cleosmom is the BEST! More consistant than the rest of us, regardless of our schedules.

Did you get connected with the local bus? They have a large new terminal on West Broadway. I know with you not driving, you'll probably make friends with them soon.

Cleosmom,

I have to admit your answer above made me think all during my work of whether or not Idaho Falls Magazine would continue to be sent to people potentially relocating to the area. I think you and I both agree it has been both a great resource and a nice introduction to some of what the area offers, for those who don't know.

My HOPE would be the Chambe of Commerce would have a contract with Harris Publishing to Purchase the magazines so the latest editions could be mailed out complimentary from them, not Harris Publishing. I'm sorry to see that great tool, for those relocating, not be free as well. However, the good news is it will only cost about $12.00 for 6 subscriptions, the 4th Parade Guide, and one other published article. Ironically, I think it is a map of Idaho Falls, but I can't remember for sure.

Western Heart, if I may ask, what was Prospectus like and how large is it? Talk about being so busy I forgot Prospectus was being added in 2007. I'm aware of the photographer who took many of the original pics for it. Whether or not they are being used now, I don't know.

I'm not as much help (and probably not as much fun) as Cleosmom. However, if there are any other tidbits I can share with you Western Heart, don't hesitate to ask. I usually manage to read, at least, the comments weekly on really swamped weeks, even if I can't reply to all the questions.

Take care everyone and get ready for HALLOWEEN (might want to check out that growing 10 Favorite Things to Do List, as I know more Halloween activities will be added. They are annual.).

Enjoy the trip to Idaho Falls, Western Heart!

MSR

Old 11-10-2008, 11:56 PM

3 posts, read 5,113 times
Default Idaho Falls Magazine paid

As an employee of Harris Publishing, I thought I'd give you an update on why the change to paid subscriptions for Idaho Falls magazine. The total press run for the publication is 15,000 copies. The staff at Harris Publishing was surprised that the FREE mailing was quickly approaching 10,000 copies leaving only 5,000 copies on the FREE racks. Once distribution on the FREE racks was complete, the racks would be empty withing 1 to 7 days leaving the racks empty for seven weeks until the next issue was out.

It was necessary to increase the press run, but this additional cost would have to be placed on the shoulders of the advertisers and the staff felt this couldn't happen, and thus we have the paid circulation. It is great to note that in the first week, over 500 subscribers switched over to paid subscribers. All readers have until December 31, 2008 to sign up for the $6 rate (this is good for up to three years). Those already in outside areas can add three years to their current subscription for the $18. You can sign up for a subscription at www.idahofallsmagazine.com.

It is hoped that Idaho Falls magazine will reach 10,000 paid subscribers within a four year period.

It is great to see the interest out there in our publication. The two bonus publications are 1) Summer Fun Guide and 2) Eastern Idaho State Fair Guide.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:57 AM

I'm hoping that Sagle leaves this here as it doesn't seem to be spam or advertising, but rather replying to something already addressed.

Having said that, my question is will Harris Publishing send a complimentary copy upon request to someone who shows strong potential in relocating to Idaho Falls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NufSaid View Post
As an employee of Harris Publishing, I thought I'd give you an update on why the change to paid subscriptions for Idaho Falls magazine. The total press run for the publication is 15,000 copies. The staff at Harris Publishing was surprised that the FREE mailing was quickly approaching 10,000 copies leaving only 5,000 copies on the FREE racks. Once distribution on the FREE racks was complete, the racks would be empty withing 1 to 7 days leaving the racks empty for seven weeks until the next issue was out.

It was necessary to increase the press run, but this additional cost would have to be placed on the shoulders of the advertisers and the staff felt this couldn't happen, and thus we have the paid circulation. It is great to note that in the first week, over 500 subscribers switched over to paid subscribers. All readers have until December 31, 2008 to sign up for the $6 rate (this is good for up to three years). Those already in outside areas can add three years to their current subscription for the $18. You can sign up for a subscription at www.idahofallsmagazine.com.

It is hoped that Idaho Falls magazine will reach 10,000 paid subscribers within a four year period.

It is great to see the interest out there in our publication. The two bonus publications are 1) Summer Fun Guide and 2) Eastern Idaho State Fair Guide.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:18 PM

3 posts, read 5,113 times
"will Harris Publishing send a complimentary copy upon request to someone who shows strong potential in relocating to Idaho Falls"

I will ask the circulation department and get back to you on this one. We are in the process of setting up digital copies on line and we can send a password to someone so they can view the publication before subscribing. I'll keep you posted.

This is something that we are doing on some of of our other publications and Idaho Falls should be one of the next ones.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:53 PM

Lightbulb Give Us More Info, Please

NufSaid,

I also hope Harris Publishing can work out an arrangement with either the Chamber of Commerce or City of Idaho Falls etc. so those who would benefit from a complimentary copy of Idaho Falls Magazine could receive one. I think many don't really understand what all the magazine has to offer those looking to relocate.

Sage, Cleosmom makes another good point (doesn't she always?): I'd second her request Sage that this info stay in place. Idaho Falls Magazine isn't advertising here. I alerted readers that no longer could they now request a complimentary copy. Both Cleosmom and I, in dozens of threads here, have recommended to those looking at Idaho Falls they utilize the magazine as a resource for further decisions.

NufSaid, It's good to see the number of people who have subscribed. I remember taking a past issue to a friend, for the wife of one of the MD's she works for to see. The MD's wife is a niece of the Ucon "Candy Makers," featured in one article. After I finally got my copy returned months later............I heard all sorts of comments of what a quality publication Idaho Falls Magazine was. The above-mentioned niece was blown away by the article about her aunt and uncle and LEARNED information she didn't know.

Wow, were they impressed with the magazine! They had spent about 8 years in the New Orleans area and didn't somehow didn't think Idaho Falls could produce a publication like IF Magazine.

The glossy magazine has a wealth of info for those wishing to relocate to the area. However, what is nice, is there is balance with articles highlighting important issues such as growth in schools, Idaho Meth use, business, healthcare, and so many salient topics along with info about local treasures (be they people, restaurants, shops or traditions) etc.

I'll be interested in your response, NufSaid. One thing I'd like to see created is a way to store the magazines permanently. Information I've found NO WHERE else is in some issues. It gets a little old moving copies from 2-3 years ago from one stack of papers to another. Seriously, I've kept the copies as I doubt many realize how many freelance journalists, or former anchors of ID and UT television networks write for the magazine, how much info I can't find elsewhere, and it is such an easy reference for certain goods and services in the Idaho Falls area.

Again, I have no connection to Harris Publishing or Idaho Falls Magazine, except I do subscribe to the publication. Sometimes a product exceeds expectations and is worth telling the world it exists, IMHO.

Finally, be it politics, the economy, religion or entirely different topics where many want to argue, I compliment Idaho Falls Magazine for finding a way to address issues that doesn't create enemies of those of varying opinions. Overall, I think the publication represents the feel of who the people of eastern Idaho and Idaho Falls are. Now if the website forums were utilized.............. ...............the potential.

Thanks for posting.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls