Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 06:25 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,023,721 times

Advertisements

Sure hope no one on the forum is being threatened by all the fires raging. The smoke here in Spirit Lake is so thick you could cut it with a knife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 06:43 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,281,547 times
We've had a few to the east, west and southwest of us. So far, so good. Hope your end of the state stays out of people's homes being in the path of danger.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:48 AM

7,386 posts, read 12,689,597 times
I just read about all the wildfires--apparently we made it from 55 up 21 to Stanley just in time, less than 2 weeks ago! What a glorious ride, and what mountain views! Now they're propaply completely obscured by smoke. The Banner Fire has closed 21 on and off the past week. Hate to think of the habitats lost, fleeing animals, cabins and campgrounds in danger...but that's the reality this time of year. Let's hope for a short fire season in ID.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:16 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,285,220 times
I'm considering retiring to Idaho. Is it mostly north Idaho that is plagued with fire danger?

I have no clue yet where I'll end up, but I'm looking at Salmon right now. I listed some criteria a while back and from that, one poster thought Hagerman would be a good place for me. Now I'm thinking a tad more snow is something I wouldn't mind. I cannot wait to visit your beautiful state again. I haven't been there since 1978, driving to Coeur d'Alene while visiting family in Washington.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:53 AM

1,353 posts, read 2,432,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I'm considering retiring to Idaho. Is it mostly north Idaho that is plagued with fire danger?

I have no clue yet where I'll end up, but I'm looking at Salmon right now. I listed some criteria a while back and from that, one poster thought Hagerman would be a good place for me. Now I'm thinking a tad more snow is something I wouldn't mind. I cannot wait to visit your beautiful state again. I haven't been there since 1978, driving to Coeur d'Alene while visiting family in Washington.
Here's a good site for keeping track of wildfire InciWeb the Incident Information System: Idaho Incidents

Old 08-28-2010, 10:11 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,285,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
Here's a good site for keeping track of wildfire InciWeb the Incident Information System: Idaho Incidents
Thank you.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:03 PM

7,386 posts, read 12,689,597 times
Quote:

Hi CC, and welcome back! If you'll remind us of your criteria, we'll weigh in. As you can tell from the wildfire website, anywhere there's forest/dry vegetation there's a danger of wildfires, but (I could be wrong) it usually isn't a threat to entire towns and suburbs like in SoCal . Except of course something like the Big Burn of 1910...

tdna, that is a great website! Thanks!

Old 08-28-2010, 05:25 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,281,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
It won't allow me to rep you yet... thanks for the link

Old 08-28-2010, 08:17 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,023,721 times
Hi CC...love your name, by the way! I think any place with forests or wildlands is going to have some fire danger, but as was mentioned, it doesn't seem as destructive to cities and communities up here. I retired here (Spirit Lake) almost seven months ago...best decision I have ever made!

Old 08-28-2010, 09:07 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,404,249 times
Quote:

There is no one area of Idaho that's less or more prone to fire. There have been major fires in the northern, central and southern parts of Idaho in the past, as all areas of the state have forests.

As an example- Salmon had several big burns in 2000 and following years, and Hagerman is now having a large range fire just southwest of the area. In thje past, Northern Idaho was part of the Big Burn, the largest wildfire recorded in recent history (in 1910).

The range fires suffered in the southern areas of the state can be just as severe as a forest fire, and faster moving.

Fires are a part of living in the West. No state, from the Pacific coast to the eastern slope of the Rockies is immune from fires, and what states may be most prone in a particular year is very hard to predict, as minor shifts in temperature, winds and humidity can make huge differences in either starting or preventing wildfires.

However, not all wildfires end up being big burns. Weather, proximity to effective firefighting, and many other factors limit most wildfires from becoming huge.

The thing is awareness of fire potential. Homes and cabins are too often built right in the middle of a tree stand, veiled from view by roads through forest, and have areas around the buildings that tall grasses, sagebrush, and other low fuel for fires allowed to grow, in the desire for 'naturalness'. A grass fire can wipe out a cabin just as fast as a tall forest fire. When precautions are taken to minimize the chances for a fire to reach a home, the chances are much decreased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho