Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 08:43 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,286,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Hi CC, and welcome back! If you'll remind us of your criteria, we'll weigh in. As you can tell from the wildfire website, anywhere there's forest/dry vegetation there's a danger of wildfires, but (I could be wrong) it usually isn't a threat to entire towns and suburbs like in SoCal . Except of course something like the Big Burn of 1910...

tdna, that is a great website! Thanks!
Thank you. I'm always reading Idaho forum threads, but I just don't post too often. I'm from southern CA, but I moved to Texas. I honestly don't remember so many fires in the 28 years I lived there.

I will visit Idaho before retirement and take several weeks driving the state to see what truly appeals to me but what I'd like is:

fantastic air quality
no more snow than up to 24" average ... less would be better
about 15" of rain ... I like green. Salmon's average is only 10", so I'm not too sure about so little.
mountains in view
small town ... prefer living outside of town
lots of trees ... don't like desert areas
mostly sunny days
summer temperatures 80s or 90s
area that is not growing in population ... prefer uncrowded area ... kind of being steered away from North Idaho due to increase in population

I know nothing about Idaho except what I've been reading. I just looked into Riggins so right now, I have two places on my list, Riggins and Salmon.

I truly believe the west is best. I really don't like the south. It's a different world! I would consider Utah, Montana, or Wyoming too but for some reason, I think Idaho may be better for me. I've gathered such from reading the other forums.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 08-29-2010 at 08:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
Hi CC...love your name, by the way! I think any place with forests or wildlands is going to have some fire danger, but as was mentioned, it doesn't seem as destructive to cities and communities up here. I retired here (Spirit Lake) almost seven months ago...best decision I have ever made!
Thanks! My canine pals "rule the castle." I love the photo you have on your profile. The mountains rock. I think I saw your house too that you posted on one thread ... very lovely. Yes, I know fires to exist in forests (very sad). As someone said I didn't have to live in the middle of a forest. I'm glad you're loving Spirit Lake.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
There is no one area of Idaho that's less or more prone to fire. There have been major fires in the northern, central and southern parts of Idaho in the past, as all areas of the state have forests.

As an example- Salmon had several big burns in 2000 and following years, and Hagerman is now having a large range fire just southwest of the area. In thje past, Northern Idaho was part of the Big Burn, the largest wildfire recorded in recent history (in 1910).

The range fires suffered in the southern areas of the state can be just as severe as a forest fire, and faster moving.

Fires are a part of living in the West. No state, from the Pacific coast to the eastern slope of the Rockies is immune from fires, and what states may be most prone in a particular year is very hard to predict, as minor shifts in temperature, winds and humidity can make huge differences in either starting or preventing wildfires.

However, not all wildfires end up being big burns. Weather, proximity to effective firefighting, and many other factors limit most wildfires from becoming huge.

The thing is awareness of fire potential. Homes and cabins are too often built right in the middle of a tree stand, veiled from view by roads through forest, and have areas around the buildings that tall grasses, sagebrush, and other low fuel for fires allowed to grow, in the desire for 'naturalness'. A grass fire can wipe out a cabin just as fast as a tall forest fire. When precautions are taken to minimize the chances for a fire to reach a home, the chances are much decreased.
Great information. Thank you.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:17 AM

39,876 posts, read 26,554,573 times
We just rode over the McGruder Corridor between Darby, MT and Elk City, it's between 2 wilderness areas. It's amazing how much of that country has burned over the last couple of decades. I'd say at least 1/3 of the ride was through burns. There were several going on while we were there. At least this has been a mild fire season, at least in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho