Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 06:11 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,965,291 times

Advertisements

Is the train line being talked about here the same one that runs through downtown Spokane? I lived about 3 football fields away from the tracks, and they run pretty much non-stop it seems. You get used to it, and if it bothers you when you sleep you can find a way (fan) to drown it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 10:44 PM

103 posts, read 311,099 times
as for the cold it's about 5-8 degrees colder at my house then in town as for the snow nobody has any right now and he trains by us are 4 -5 times a day but not really that bad

Old 11-11-2010, 11:29 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,754,492 times
I can't even imagine moving here and having to listen to trains. Wouldn't it just be more pleasant to move somewhere away from the tracks? I love not being able to hear anything but an occasional vehicle on the county road and the sound of the river.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:34 AM

7,386 posts, read 12,689,597 times
Misty, I've been wondering about expensive homes between the tracks and the water, too. There are several along the CF River, too. We've stayed at a place where it sounded as if the trains were coming through the hotel at night--no amount of water view could make me put up with that! But a train in the distance actually sounds lovely to me--I spent summers in a cabin a mile from a train line, and the soft rumble in the distance was soothing.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:49 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,754,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Misty, I've been wondering about expensive homes between the tracks and the water, too. There are several along the CF River, too. We've stayed at a place where it sounded as if the trains were coming through the hotel at night--no amount of water view could make me put up with that! But a train in the distance actually sounds lovely to me--I spent summers in a cabin a mile from a train line, and the soft rumble in the distance was soothing.
My husband and daughter were at a reception at one of the homes in Snug Harbor and said the house shook when a train came through. The homeowner is hugely into boating and waterskiing though, so I guess the lake and the easy access to highway 2 makes it worth it to him.
It would drive me crazy...though I agree with you, the sound of a far-off train whistle is a lovely and haunting sound at night.

Last edited by mistyriver; 11-12-2010 at 03:16 PM..

Old 11-13-2010, 11:39 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,846,422 times
We chose our location for that reason. Decades ago I lived about 100' from some busy tracks in suburban SoCal and my whole apartment would shake 3x an hour, all day, all night. Learned a hard lesson about location...although the price was right. Yeah, you got used to it, but I never came to just be able to ignore it.

Here we're about 4 miles from one set of tracks, and about 2 miles from other tracks nearby. So we hear the somewhat distant train whistle but it's a pleasant sound in the distance, and we don't even hear it at all most of the time unless we're outside or late at night when all is quiet.

We have friends with waterfront, with tracks about 150' from their house. Honestly you couldn't give me that house. I just couldn't live there. It's not just the sound (crossing nearby so a LOT of horn blasts), it's the rumbling that I hate too.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:25 PM

30 posts, read 76,552 times
Default Train Noise

Thanks to all for your info regarding the train situation.

There is a property just south of Silverwood Theme Park and west of 95.
The people selling say you can't even hear the train inside the house and that while you can hear it outside it is muffled and not loud.
The map (on the link below) shows the house to be quite close to the tracks. Are these the same tracks that get 75 trains a day? From what you can tell from the map could they be far enough from the property that the sound seems distant and muffled? It seems that the tracks are 1/4 mile away but I can't tell exactly.

Thanks,

Cliff

24719 Hunters Grove Court, Rathdrum ID - Trulia

Old 11-15-2010, 08:18 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,280,067 times
It looks like it is the main artery to me that goes up the 53 through Rathdrum and along Diagonal. Looks like 500 feet to me which you can probably feel never mind hear. You can probably hear the 95 from there too. I think Diagonal is dirt on that section too.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:06 PM

30 posts, read 76,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
It looks like it is the main artery to me that goes up the 53 through Rathdrum and along Diagonal. Looks like 500 feet to me which you can probably feel never mind hear. You can probably hear the 95 from there too. I think Diagonal is dirt on that section too.
Yeah I kinda thought so, it was such a nice house I just didn't want to think so. Moving on to the next house. Thanks !

Old 11-15-2010, 09:23 PM

7,386 posts, read 12,689,597 times
We're about twice as far from the tracks (Clark Fork) as the property you're looking at; we're up on higher ground, so the rumble seems further away, and while we can hear it, we're not bothered by it. But anything closer, I'd think twice. Also, do you know what is in store for that nice wooded area to the north between Hunter's Grove Ct and E. Brunner? Just make sure you check with the Planning and Zoning Department what the zoning is, and whether there are plans to develop the area. You don't want to end up with a new subdivision in your backyard...

PS I was writing my response as you were posting your "moving on" message. I think that's a wise move. Good luck--there are some great places out there, available right now. You'll find the perfect one, don't worry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho