Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 10,080 times

Advertisements

hey!
i am moving to pocatello in about 2 months.. i'm pretty excited.. looks like a great town! i've been living in a small town in the mountains in california.. crime is almost non-existent here. so i am a little nervous about having to worry about crime again.. i have a young child and really want to move to the right area of town...
someone please help me and tell me the good areas in town and the bad areas.. zip codes or something.. i dont know, and i am quite nervous of finding a house in the wrong area.
i've looked at many websites and nothing tells me about pocatello.
so.. where does majority of the crime happen??!! please??!!!
thank you sooo much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 11:03 AM

4 posts, read 38,061 times
Hey Cassymex,

It looks like I'll be heading to Pocatello in April for work, let me know your thoughts once you get there!

Thanks

Old 02-26-2012, 01:06 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
SoCalPhil, welcome to CDF and the Idaho forum! When you respond to a post, just take a look at when it was posted. Cassy has probably lived in Pocatello for almost a year now, and she hasn't been back to the forum since January 2011. But the rest of us are looking forward to your questions and comments!

Old 02-26-2012, 09:36 PM

Default Wow, That's Right

Thanks for the heads-up. I didn't even look, and I hope she's doing well regardless.

I'll continue to scan this forum, my move isnt 100% yet, but after what I have read, it looks like a nice place.

Thank You,

Phil

Old 03-02-2012, 10:55 PM

17 posts, read 56,840 times
Pocatello is a groovy little town. Not a whole lot of crime (way too much DV though) anyway.....

The west side (old town and foot hills) can be a little shady. Lots of renters and people move around a lot. Also, more poor = more crime. But seriously, this is a safe community in general.

I would suggest the Indian Hills area (south of town) as it has a GREAT elementary school, access to trails, Scout mountain, fishing pond, parks, and other outdoor recreation. Also, anything in the "Historic University District" is nice and safe, Washington Elementary is rated okay. The Green acres neighborhood is another highly rated school and safe with slightly less expensive housing.

I would not raise my kids in the Satterfield of Chubbuck areas, not because of crime, but because of the phony social scene in those areas. Not nice kids. Sorry to say.

Oooops I think I've shared too much. Good luck. Welcome to Ptown.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:14 PM

Thanks

It'll just be me coming out for a few years, and if I like it maybe I'll stick around. I sure hope I like it.

I'm a outdoors sort of guy, but not very familar with living in cold climates, but I'm willing to learn.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:58 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,665,161 times
No real bad areas compared to many cities of Pocatello's size. Sketchy? Perhaps the area just north of old town, but even there you will find many families just trying to live the good life. Pocatello gets a bad rep, but not sure why. It is family friendly, affordable, and growing. Perhaps its isolation and maybe even its name sound like something out of Green Acres or Petticoat Junction. But it really isn't anything like that. It is a progressive, college town that is growing and and doesn't cost an arm and a leg to live there. (One more thought on the isolation: It is closer to Salt Lake City than Boise...about a two and a half hour drive).

Old 03-07-2012, 10:52 AM

8 posts, read 32,821 times
I moved to Pocatello 4 months ago from LA and I don't get out much as I'm caring for my wife but I can tell you my likes and dislikes so far.
Inexpensive: Houses are about 1/5th to 1/3rd the cost of LA houses. Gas and food are about 25% less.
Uncrowded: About 54,000 people in Pocatello. Enough to have most of the big chain stores but you can still drive 10 minutes in any direction and be alone in the country. I went to the local DMV Office a few weeks ago and had 2 people in front of me. A very happy experience after waiting in LA DMVs for hours.
Pretty country: The city is tucked away between mountains on the east and west with the Snake River plain out to the north and west beyond the hills.
An Outdoors man's dream: Fishing, hiking, skiing , snowboarding and snowmobiling, hunting are all big up here. My personal favorite is Adventure Biking. Thousands of miles of trails and forest roads to ride on.
DISLIKES:
I like good Mexican food and haven't been able to find a place yet that knows how to cook it.

As far as which area is better I really haven't been here long enough to form a valid opinion although North Pocatello and Chubbuck just feel better.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:23 PM

Default Thanks Commalot

I'll miss the Mexican food

Living in San Diego, Mexican food is what I eat most often and being so close to the border, I'll miss running south for nice weekend get aways.

But, getting away from southern California is something I'm fine with and I'm looking forward to Pocatello and settling in

A do a lot of adventure riding on my motorcycle. so from what I've read there are plenty of trails to explore.

Thanks

Old 03-14-2012, 10:29 PM

17 posts, read 56,840 times
Blackfoot has some awesome Mexican food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho