Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 05:06 PM

34 posts, read 89,849 times

Advertisements

I was a little disappointed to learn that there was not a decided Park/Rec department. I emailed the city to inquire, and received a reply from the super of public works (much appreciated) and was told that there is just little league and then HS sports. What do parents of younger age children do for activities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 06:03 PM

382 posts, read 1,033,331 times
Take them fishing hiking biking. Your looking at a very small town that does not have the tax dollars that the big city has to play with. It's rural Idaho. Just the way the residents like it. Long live the small towns with nothing to do I say....

Old 05-11-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay View Post
Take them fishing hiking biking. Your looking at a very small town that does not have the tax dollars that the big city has to play with. It's rural Idaho. Just the way the residents like it. Long live the small towns with nothing to do I say....
Really? I like fising and hiking too, but there is nothing wrong with good organized social sports for children. This has nothing to do tax dollars, small towns like Rathdrum have support of local businesses for these types of activities. How is it, the mines make can make a huge profit in the Sliver Valley, but are not expected to contribute to the social structure of the community in any way?
I worked at a large (largest in the state I lived) landfill for 7 years; when this, fully titled, permitted LF came in the area (way before me), the people freaked... nevermind it created jobs aka revenue; but the company ended up putting the next 4 generations of locals through college, supports every local event and still contributes today. I guess you get what you ask for-

Last edited by stacileigh; 05-11-2011 at 06:55 PM..

Old 05-12-2011, 12:11 PM

541 posts, read 1,224,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacileigh View Post
How is it, the mines make can make a huge profit in the Sliver Valley, but are not expected to contribute to the social structure of the community in any way?
Providing jobs and putting food on the families of the community while providing health insurance and essentially driving the local economy isn't providing "social structure" to the local economy?

Maybe it's just my community where I grew up, but most of the sporting leagues where I'm from were founded by parents who organized leagues.

What is it, exactly, that you are wanting? And why are you expecting mines (whose business it is to collect minerals) to provide it? If one small business in one community is kind enough to provide a service, why should another company in anyway feel obligated to provide the same? That sort of attitude seems to serve as a disincentive to do anything, less you create an eternal and frankly unappreciated expectation to provide a service that your business has no real obligation to provide.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:47 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
I'd agree with CM, this sounds like a good opportunity for the OP to get together with other parents in the area and develop a league if there is sufficient interest. It's not the cities responsibility (let alone businesses in the area) to provide babysitting services. (sorry if this comes out rude, I don't mean it to be)

With all the outdoor opportunities (hiking, fishing, biking, hunting, dirt biking, camping, swimming, atving, etc) I don't know how much interest there would be among the kids for organized sports, when there are so many more interesting things to do. Every kid is different, I suppose there could be, especially during the fall/winter/spring months.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMartel2 View Post
Providing jobs and putting food on the families of the community while providing health insurance and essentially driving the local economy isn't providing "social structure" to the local economy?

Maybe it's just my community where I grew up, but most of the sporting leagues where I'm from were founded by parents who organized leagues.

What is it, exactly, that you are wanting? And why are you expecting mines (whose business it is to collect minerals) to provide it? If one small business in one community is kind enough to provide a service, why should another company in anyway feel obligated to provide the same? That sort of attitude seems to serve as a disincentive to do anything, less you create an eternal and frankly unappreciated expectation to provide a service that your business has no real obligation to provide.
I have no problem starting a sports league, and you are right, parents are the ones that volunteer their time to coach etc.

I apologize if I have offended you with my questioning of a Parks and Rec. system. I thought that is what these forums were for- to ask questions.

As far as the support of local businesses, "the mines" in particular, I was just reiterating what I had read on the City of Rathdrum web site, which was how they provide recreational opportunities for their youth. I do not think the companies should feel obligated to contribute it is their choice. Obviously some choose to invest more in their communities than others, which is telling in my opinion.

Again, I was just wondering why the Sliver Valley did not do the same.
So, you just might see the emergence of a little girl soccer in the valley, after all girls can kick butt too

Old 05-14-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Really? I like fising and hiking too, but there is nothing wrong with good organized social sports for children. This has nothing to do tax dollars, small towns like Rathdrum have support of local businesses for these types of activities. How is it, the mines make can make a huge profit in the Sliver Valley, but are not expected to contribute to the social structure of the community in any way?
I worked at a large (largest in the state I lived) landfill for 7 years; when this, fully titled, permitted LF came in the area (way before me), the people freaked... nevermind it created jobs aka revenue; but the company ended up putting the next 4 generations of locals through college, supports every local event and still contributes today. I guess you get what you ask for-

Have you ever been to the silver valley? Do you know what the lead levels are like up there? That most of the town is owned by Dave Smith or the silver mountain resort. That most of the place is a ghost town now. A shell of what it used to be? The mines you speak of are barely making it. Most of my family at one time or the other either worked in those mines or did something to support their operations. People in Idaho the locals who have been here for decades keep to themselves. It has historically been a loner mentality. Live and let live. So big groups of people hanging out was not the norm. The churches have sports groups. I know the LDS Church up there does anyway. And in the summers people go into the wilderness. Your not going to learn how the world works and see Gods wonderful creations playing sports.

North Idaho was for the rugged individual. Now it's just a place to live because somebody knows somebody who lives there and they are tired of where they live now. People come here to run away from the city. Your not going to find any city in the silver valley. You will find rugged individuals just barely getting by. Living pay check to paycheck. No one respects them for that. Or understands how much they lost when logging and mining left the towns up here. The place is in a slow unsettling decline. A real bummer for those who have stayed and tried to make it there.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Have you ever been to the silver valley? Do you know what the lead levels are like up there? That most of the town is owned by Dave Smith or the silver mountain resort. That most of the place is a ghost town now. A shell of what it used to be? The mines you speak of are barely making it. Most of my family at one time or the other either worked in those mines or did something to support their operations. People in Idaho the locals who have been here for decades keep to themselves. It has historically been a loner mentality. Live and let live. So big groups of people hanging out was not the norm. The churches have sports groups. I know the LDS Church up there does anyway. And in the summers people go into the wilderness. Your not going to learn how the world works and see Gods wonderful creations playing sports.

North Idaho was for the rugged individual. Now it's just a place to live because somebody knows somebody who lives there and they are tired of where they live now. People come here to run away from the city. Your not going to find any city in the silver valley. You will find rugged individuals just barely getting by. Living pay check to paycheck. No one respects them for that. Or understands how much they lost when logging and mining left the towns up here. The place is in a slow unsettling decline. A real bummer for those who have stayed and tried to make it there.
Thank you for your honest assessement- No, I have never lived there; however, my husband has and went to school there and my MIL lives there now...

Old 05-15-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your honest assessement- No, I have never lived there; however, my husband has and went to school there and my MIL lives there now...

Well you should really talk to them I am sure that they could help you more than this forum ever could. If your going to move there they would be the resource of the best information. Every one I know that has lived there has left for the same reasons. No work opportunities. Really sad when you think back 25 years and the place was a thriving little community. If you want the best food go to Humdingers. I always stop and grab some food for my trips into the woods. Just there the other day....

Old 05-16-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Well you should really talk to them I am sure that they could help you more than this forum ever could. If your going to move there they would be the resource of the best information. Every one I know that has lived there has left for the same reasons. No work opportunities. Really sad when you think back 25 years and the place was a thriving little community. If you want the best food go to Humdingers. I always stop and grab some food for my trips into the woods. Just there the other day....
I wish I could say you helped in anyway, but you didn't.... thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho