Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 08:40 PM

70 posts, read 267,524 times

Advertisements

What time of year are the Hobo Spiders most active?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2006, 08:42 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Right about now is mating season. There's an informative website which I think is hobo.org?? If you Google you'll find it easy.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:01 PM

Default Creepy Crawly

Thanks for the info Cloesmom.
What steps do you take to keep your spider invasion under control?

Johnny Quest

Old 09-07-2006, 11:12 PM

You're welcome!

I squash them with my foot Well, so that's not the complete control I use. Out in the garage I have four tin cats (they have stickies in them). Might be overkill but I have an uncontrollable fear of mice So in a one car garage I have four of these and not only do they catch the rare mouse, they grab the Hobos as well.

We also preserve "daddy long legs" as they kill the Hobos. I don't think I've ever had one in the house.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:35 AM

The good old fashioned way.

Good job. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:45 AM

313 posts, read 833,977 times
I read about these before but went back and read about them again on hobospider.org. YUCK! I hate spiders!! We have Black Widows out here and we had to get pest control out here cause they were so bad. The web site said not to use that as a way to get rid of them cause it may not work too well on them but would on the good, killer spiders. We are looking at rural areas...I'm nervous about these now!

Old 09-08-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinTami View Post
I read about these before but went back and read about them again on hobospider.org. YUCK! I hate spiders!! We have Black Widows out here and we had to get pest control out here cause they were so bad. The web site said not to use that as a way to get rid of them cause it may not work too well on them but would on the good, killer spiders. We are looking at rural areas...I'm nervous about these now!
They don't worry me much. As I stated, I just stomp 'em out. Now if there was a mouse anywhere nearby, you'd see me running for the hills... probably not the right direction to run to either LOL

When we first moved here, we were told they can't climb higher than four inches, don't buy that idea! So long as they have a surface with traction; brick, mottled walls inside the home, fabric then yeah they can climb.

It's a good idea to shake your shoes out, clothing if you've left it set on the table, couch whatever before you hang it. Just basic precautions

Old 09-08-2006, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest View Post
The good old fashioned way.

Good job. Thanks for the info.
You're welcome JQ. I've noticed my neighbors kitten must be in mouser training as they are having a field day with any bug, spider that crawls along the ground. So they are a big help too

Old 09-08-2006, 11:58 AM

313 posts, read 833,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
They don't worry me much. As I stated, I just stomp 'em out. Now if there was a mouse anywhere nearby, you'd see me running for the hills... probably not the right direction to run to either LOL
I'm more nervous about my little ones meeting one while playing outside or something. I also didn't like the thought about one climbing into bed with me (talked about that on the site). ICK! It said that cats like to play with them/ kill them...we may be getting a few more cats!

I don't know if they are really that big of a deal but they just scare me. Those bites looked nasty!

Old 09-08-2006, 12:38 PM

You do want the kids to be educated about them that's for certain. Most parents I know don't allow their kids to play outside barefoot due to Hobos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho