Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 07:51 PM

3 posts, read 16,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner View Post
It is like any other indian reservation, it has it own rules and bylaws that are different than just being rural. I wouldn't call it a bad thing, its just something you need to have your REALTOR get you the info on. Most of the time, they have to approve you.
Wow, this is a strange post. "Like any other Indian Reservation" is like saying "like any other country." As if, when you've been to Japan, you pretty much know what Germany is like... And "they have to approve you" seems to indicate that in order to buy a piece of private property that is located inside the boundaries of the Coeur d'Alene Indian Reservation, you have to get the permission of some group of natives - maybe the Tribal Council. But that is certainly not the case on this reservation (where I have lived off and on for almost 50 years). Maybe that is so on some other reservation - since they are not all the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 08:28 PM

3 posts, read 16,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieLady View Post
That would be a big issue. I would not want someone shooting a rabbit or a deer on my property without my knowledge. The size shouldnt matter. That would be putting other people in danger. Especially if there will be younger children around. Unacceptable. I would love any other information about this if anyone has any!
Thank you!
Although I have lived on a very accessible part of the Coeur d'Alene Indian Reservation off and on for almost 50 years, and although between my parents and I we own over 100 acres (some of which I am willing to sell, by the way), I am not aware of any occasion where a Native has hunted on our property, with or without our permission. While it may be their legal right to do so, and I have heard of Natives occasionally hunting on private property near here, it is probably more common that non-Natives are hunting on private land without permission (i.e. illegal trespassing). But in either case, hunting happens here, and if you're very uncomfortable with that and think that hunters are going to be careless enough to endanger the children playing in your yard, maybe you should consider living elsewhere (i.e. some big city).

Old 05-03-2016, 03:14 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Careless hunters are plenty, no matter where you live in the country here. Learning how to deal with them is a fact of life to varying degrees. If gunshots alarm you in country life, you have to adapt to being alert when you hear one, but not afraid of them, depending on how close they are. Alarm is reserved when they're close and you don't know who's shooting.

Even so, don't think that hearing gunshots is a common occurrence. They're not, but they are to be expected during hunting seasons in the more remote countryside areas and in ranch and timber country. In those times, it's more likely, in my experience, to hear shots fired by road hunters than genuine hunters.

There are always some folks here who use hunting season as a chance to go party down in the boonies and and go kill a few road signs along the way. This is especially true in our national forests, so if some property has a boundary by one, some trespass can be almost inevitable, depending on the location.

The hunters who really want to chase game may trespass, but they're much more careful about letting themselves be known if they do, and they seldom harm livestock.

Many will seek permission, especially if a person's land is posted properly, and will most often treat the landowner right if given permission by closing the gates, restricting their hunts to suggested areas, etc.

At the same time, any landowner who believes the deer or other game that has been feeding on his property is 'theirs', and they can go shoot them anytime they want, is badly mistaken. Any landowner who wants to hunt on his own property must buy legal tags and licenses, and follow them to the letter. If not, then they are considered poachers, and poaching has some extremely severe penalties in this state.

If a wild animal such as a moose or a herd of deer is a genuine nuisance to a property owner, the best thing to do is to call the Idaho Fish & Game and talk about it. I've known property owners who were allowed to harvest some wildlife after being given permission and a special license to do so, but there's no guarantee this will happen. More often, a F&G agent may come check out the situation and decide on other ways of eliminating the problem, after deciding the severity of the nuisance.

Wild game is one of Idaho's greatest resources, and it makes millions of dollars for the state annually. So reporting offenses is a good thing here, as is obeying all hunting and fishing laws. No matter how close to a city a rural property is here, encountering wild life is to be expected. In all it's many forms. It's another part of country life here everywhere in the state, and it's nothing unusual to see just about any critter who lives here show up in any town from time to time as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho