Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 10:53 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,927,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joryjim View Post
Huntington Beach is great because the beach is several miles long and you can bike/run for very long distances along a paved beach path. The wind comes right off the ocean and it's clean as can be.

I work at home so traffic not really a concern. I've made several trips lately and traffic isn't bad at all unless you're traveling on the 405 during rush hour.

North County San Diego beaches suck as do South Orange County. No beach as nice as HB for running and biking.

Our economic problems are bad but a Mad Max scenario is remote at best. I'm certainly not going to hunker down in Northern Idaho winters again waiting for an event that likely will ever occur.

Northern Idaho is overrated. Weather sucks big time for 8 months of the year. I'm out.
i hear ya. i come from northern cal. and have been in southern oregon the last almost seven (hellish) years. finally decided i can't take this any more, and our weather certainly must be a bit better than yours. i envy that you have the means to easily move back. it might take me a year to get things worked out to return, but one way or the other i'm out of here too. i just have a small challenge with so many pets! (and i won't give them up.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 11:24 PM

23 posts, read 71,843 times
I agree with some of the comments from Jolly Green Fello. Out of control spending is a big part of the problem with the mountain of debt that exists. The can keeps getting kicked down the road, and hopefully the politicians will be more realistic in addressing the major issues that exist today. As Gerald Celente says, "When people lose everything and they have nothing left to lose, they lose it." Financially I hope it doesn't get any more challenging than it is now; unfortunately I have not seen the kind of progress as of yet that we are all anticipating.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:47 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Jory's attitude is: The economy is sketchy everywhere, so why not enjoy living for the day?

While I'm happy living in Idaho, I see nothing wrong with his desire to move back to the place where he was happier. I never liked Moscow's weather when I went to the U of I either; I much prefer the sunnier and clearer skies of S. Idaho, and I like the wide horizons down here better as well.

All of us are living one day at a time. We have free choice as to how to live our lives, and I doubt there is anyone here who can change the economy in any meaningful way. Whether a person hunkers down, waiting for what may or may not come, or whether a person takes joy in long walks by the beach is up to them. One is essentially living in a constant state of worry and fear, and the other is finding whatever personal happiness and peace that today may present.

Personally, I prefer to be happy. I know we have deep problems, but I prefer to see the cup as half full, not half empty. I'm just being careful with my spending and I believe there is a better time ahead, not a worse. The factors that got us into this mess were a long time developing, and it will take a long time to work our way out. Expecting some over-night miracle or an over-night catastrophe is equally ludicrous to me.

And I think that the economic problems in Europe could well turn out to be an advantage for us. Most of the world is in a mountain of debt, but we are still doing better than most of our competitors.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:57 AM

674 posts, read 1,459,337 times
Survivalists are a bit ridiculous, in my opinion.

While it never hurts to be prepared, if the economic doomsday scenario they're preparing for actually happens, you're looking at a life that looks a lot like the Road, Mad Max or the Walking Dead... where you're constantly guarding against intruders trying to get whatever you have stored away. Really... not much of a life.

Short of that, I guess I don't see much of the point. Do you think Northern Idaho gives one enough of a growing season to ration away for 7 months of frosty cold weather?

--------

As an aside, California is nowhere near as bad as people here make it out to be.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hp1167 View Post
Survivalists are a bit ridiculous, in my opinion.

While it never hurts to be prepared, if the economic doomsday scenario they're preparing for actually happens, you're looking at a life that looks a lot like the Road, Mad Max or the Walking Dead... where you're constantly guarding against intruders trying to get whatever you have stored away. Really... not much of a life.

Short of that, I guess I don't see much of the point. Do you think Northern Idaho gives one enough of a growing season to ration away for 7 months of frosty cold weather?

--------

As an aside, California is nowhere near as bad as people here make it out to be.
Yup. I come from a long line of folks who spent most of their lives in isolation as sheepherders and cowboys. The thing they all cherished most was time spent with other people.

One relative was a poet. Here is one of his poems on the subject:

SOLITUDE
An eagle flies in the empty air
Quiet solitude everywhere
It's a hell of a theme to write about
For them that's never tried it out.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:53 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yup. I come from a long line of folks who spent most of their lives in isolation as sheepherders and cowboys. The thing they all cherished most was time spent with other people.

One relative was a poet. Here is one of his poems on the subject:

SOLITUDE
An eagle flies in the empty air
Quiet solitude everywhere
It's a hell of a theme to write about
For them that's never tried it out.

Love the poem!

Old 06-01-2012, 03:22 PM

I think I dropped out a stanza, but the point of it is clear enough.
He was my grandfather's cousin, and got a degree in English Lit, but preferred the life of a rancher. Oddly, I have a nephew-in-law who is just like him; he has a Master's in English Lit, but loves the cowboy life the most.
Our cabin on the summer range is filled with books, as they all are up there. Radio and TV, even satellite, is spotty at best in that country. But the book collection in our place is full of serious literature. No romance novels or Louis D'Amore westerns up there! He turned our neighbors into big Hemingway fans. Everyone who lives up there swaps books all the time, and a lot are dropped off at the Bone Store. It's all one big informal library.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:28 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times
Idaho would be a good place to be at the end of the world. I totally agree.

However, and this a big however, the end of the world is not happening anytime soon. Please reply to this email in January 2013. Or even 2023, if this media still exists.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:49 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Interesting thread!

I did not expect it to get so philosophical. And nonjudgmental! I hope joryjim is happy in S. Cal.

I spent a couple years there in my youth. Great weather, most of the time, but I must say, I found it oppressively aseasonal. I like to have weather that is variable enough to complain about! S. Oregon is great that way. Winters are cold and dark enough that spring is welcome. Summer is hot enough that fall is just as welcome.

But I agree with those who choose to believe in our country and themselves. If you can, go to where you will be happy. Don't hunker down waiting for Armageddon.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:34 PM

7,382 posts, read 12,673,025 times
There is an update!

//www.city-data.com/forum/idaho...cal-sucks.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho