Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2007, 12:46 AM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,216 posts, read 6,788,057 times

Advertisements

I too was scared that anywhere I moved I would be disliked for being from CA, but I've lived in Boise for the past 18 months and not once have I experienced any issues with being from CA .

Now, I consider myself good natured and did not come here to change Idaho or talk about how things were better where I came from. If you do not do your research and come here and complain to everyone who'll listen that you hate it here and how you wish you never left CA, then expect to not be liked by Idahoans and transplants . Some things here are not as nice as where I'm from, but on the whole, most things are much better IMHO .

I can't speak for every city and every town here, but for the most part, if you are a decent person/family, you will definitely fit in and be welcome in most parts of Idaho. Please don't let what you hear about "Californians" not being liked deter you from Idaho. I think the biggest 'dislike' may be for outside investors from CA and other states who drove up home prices and turned entire subdivisions into either rentals or ghost towns .

I love it here and will only leave if I can't find work. That my friends is what I find to be the biggest negative here. The very real lack of good paying jobs . If you can get over that hurdle (and many do), I think you'll find Boise and Idaho a great place to live !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 05:06 PM

777 posts, read 3,197,868 times
Interesting though that no one from ID has responded to your thread yet HMMmm. Maybe they don't agree. LOL. It is amazing how it takes 100 positives to offset one negative. I am hoping to be a positive when I finally get there.
As far as good paying jobs goes.....well I will try to be debt free when the move comes

Old 02-17-2007, 03:00 PM

66 posts, read 309,372 times
That's one of the weaknesses of a forum like this. Reality becomes a bit exaggerated or skewed based on who responds.

I've never had a problem with Californians per se, but I do run up against people who did not grow up here who come here thinking we are just waiting for the enlightenment they bring. As if we can't read the newsmagazines and the newspapers, and have never heard of the ideas they carry in. It can be very frustrating, because these kind of people see us as backwards (cf. how many times on this board Idaho is said to be "10 years behind") rather than simply recognizing that we value different ideals.

My own sister, a near-native of this state, lived for a few years in Los Angeles and came back with biases that stunned me. It took a long time for her to remember that Idahoans aren't all of a mold ("...except you, you're different," she would tell me, while I wondered exactly how I was different and from whom, because I didn't know ANY Idahoans like the ones she was always complaining about) and that to recognize that she was substituting a skewed stereotype for real people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho