Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 06:12 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,836,727 times

Advertisements

The majority of the Puget Sound region of WA has turned into a third world country. It seems like no matter where you go, there are either ghetto neighbors living 10 to a house or entire blocks of ghetto, mixed amongst 300K homes. I am not allowed to say why they have turned into ghettos since I will get a "warning" but I think if you read the news you will know why.

I just don't know where to escape to, but have always thought of ID. I haven't been there for probably 20 years, other than a brief stop at Boise International Airport 5 years ago.

I am curious if I am going to run into similar ghettos in ID as well. I work in IT so I generally commute to the city, but prefer to live in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 10:06 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
The majority of the Puget Sound region of WA has turned into a third world country. It seems like no matter where you go, there are either ghetto neighbors living 10 to a house or entire blocks of ghetto, mixed amongst 300K homes. I am not allowed to say why they have turned into ghettos since I will get a "warning" but I think if you read the news you will know why.

I just don't know where to escape to, but have always thought of ID. I haven't been there for probably 20 years, other than a brief stop at Boise International Airport 5 years ago.

I am curious if I am going to run into similar ghettos in ID as well. I work in IT so I generally commute to the city, but prefer to live in the country.
Is this a new "shipping area" for unwanted people from other countries to arrive?

I would say no city in Idaho compares to Western Washington or Western Oregon. I think cities outside of Boise that are questionable would be Nampa and Caldwell. Those towns seem to only reflect this within the city limits, outside of each town is country living.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:34 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,276,566 times
Two years ago I was in Tac-Sea area it was indistinguishable from LA and that is not a good thing. Completely different than when I used to come for meeting at Boeing in the 80s. Northern ID at least is like that step back in time.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:35 PM

186 posts, read 240,043 times
I remember how those areas were in the late 1970's and early 1980's. It sickens me to think what has become of them.

Isn't it funny how those who praise diversity the most are usually the farthest from it?

Old 06-22-2014, 05:39 AM

382 posts, read 1,033,331 times
Yes they move to Idaho complaining of the diversity they just left.......

Old 06-22-2014, 02:11 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
I think it's good to try to keep the pink cloud at bay when anyone is thinking of moving.
The Pink Cloud is my term for imagining that someplace else will be perfect, with none of the problems that exist where a person is living now.
I know the Pink Cloud well- I've fallen victim to it many times myself, as it isn't limited to only moving. Romance, a new job, and lots of other stuff creates pink cloud fantasies just as much as desiring a new place to live.

There is always something lost for something gained, and the losses aren't always appreciated until the gains don't prove to be as great as the pink cloud leads a person to believe they will be. I've been trapped by my own pink clouds, and I've known many folks who made great big moves and soon regretted them. Leaving a long established home is expensive, but trying to move back again is even more expensive, and both have realities like finding a job, family disruption, and other relocation problems that can be severe and long lasting.

Moving around when a person is young is a lot different than later on, for sure. I don't ever want to discourage anyone from considering moving to Idaho, but it's always best to be just as realistic as possible before committing to a move. Moving is a very big deal, and no place is all bad or all good, ever.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:45 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,276,566 times
Not to mention we are all crazy... haha ... haha

Old 06-22-2014, 10:18 PM

197 posts, read 515,948 times
Unfortunately, most of the country is becoming third world. I'm currently living in Georgia and am experiencing the same thing. I moved to Georgia in 2005 and the changes that have taken place where I live in just under ten years is astonishing.

I'm currently searching for a new place to call home. From my research it seems that the states that have both a colder climate and high elevations are still relatively free of this problem. I'm not really sure why that is, but it appears to be the case.

Idaho is one of the states on my short list. Although at the rate that things are changing I'm not sure how long states like Idaho will remain free from this "phenomenon"

Old 06-23-2014, 06:58 PM

186 posts, read 240,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamKeeper View Post
Unfortunately, most of the country is becoming third world. I'm currently living in Georgia and am experiencing the same thing. I moved to Georgia in 2005 and the changes that have taken place where I live in just under ten years is astonishing.

I'm currently searching for a new place to call home. From my research it seems that the states that have both a colder climate and high elevations are still relatively free of this problem. I'm not really sure why that is, but it appears to be the case.

Idaho is one of the states on my short list. Although at the rate that things are changing I'm not sure how long states like Idaho will remain free from this "phenomenon"

It seems the "problems" don't do very well in such geographical settings, as they are so radically different from the lands of their ancestrial origin.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:13 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times
Let's bring this back to reality. The Puget Sound region, (including Seattle/Tacoma/Everett/Bellevue) is one of the healthiest and fastest growing areas in the country. Please believe me, and if you don't, look up the facts.

However, that being said, major metros will have poorer areas.

WA state has few slums. Have you been to Detroit? St. Louis? Cleveland? Buffalo? South side of Chicago?

Do your research and find out what cities and neighborhoods are less desirable. Oh, and if you don't want to live there, expect to pay more. As is the case in almost every major US metro.

The OP's original thought is perhaps a reality to him/her, but Seattle doesn't fall into the category the OP is mentioning...not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho