Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 06:44 AM

138 posts, read 269,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
Not to worry, I have never owned a vehicle with <8 cylinders. Ooops sorry, my Dodge Ram only has 6, but it is a 1-ton diesel and can tow a few dozen Prius cars. If you catch me in a tie-dyed shirt that means I actually died.
LOL, awesome.

banjomike- good to know!

Bernadette- I was curious if a downtown arts market was a representative sample of the population, thanks for clarifying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 08:26 AM

297 posts, read 1,035,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernadette_ View Post
The key from the OP's post is that they visited during Art on the Green/tourist season. Though AOTG hosts a lot of local folks, many of the vendors are not locals... possibly > 50%. Being downtown during Art on the Green is not necessarily an accurate representation of CDA as a whole.

I don't think we have a higher concentration of Prius driving bohemians than other places, but I have only ever lived here
That thought crossed my mind as well Bernadette. However most of the vendors we interacted with were local. A few were from the Spokane area.

Also we stayed north of I-90 so we also got to experience CDL away from the downtown tourist/art scene. Like Aiden_is said it's very big and commercialized. Vast strip malls and new housing developments everywhere. However the Prius were in the suburban part of the city too and it's definitely non-threatening to city folks

Old 08-06-2014, 08:39 AM

39,870 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagnyT63 View Post
Hmmm. Good to know. This is disappointing, we were hoping to get AWAY from Santa Fe. Not that I'm into old hateful white dudes, but I was hoping to get away from the prius bohemians, lol. Thanks for the heads up.
Don't worry too much, Art on the Green really brings out the Granolas. There is normally a pretty good mix and it's a pretty live-and-let-live, libertarian area. Car-d-Alene brings out the real art-lots of high-HP muscle cars and hot rods, and we still have gun shows a couple times a month.

Honestly though, I tend to stay away from downtown CDA much anymore. It's gotten far too commercialized and "touresty". I don't see that much there that draws me any more. Plus it's gotten too big and is suffering from the same bland "sameness" of strip-mall towns everywhere. The surrounding area is still beautiful and exciting, with plenty of interesting smaller towns. Sandpoint, while it does occasionally look like a Granola convention (especially when the Panada lets out), still retains a bit of rural charm, plus has a great brew pub. Wallace is really nice.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:19 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,840,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagnyT63 View Post
LOL, awesome.

banjomike- good to know!

Bernadette- I was curious if a downtown arts market was a representative sample of the population, thanks for clarifying.
What you'll find with voting is that Kootenai County outside of CDA votes about 70% red, but CDA (city) votes nearly 55-45 (red-blue) so the whole county is about 60/40 red/blue in national races, and about 65/35 to 70/30 in state races. State/local races can be really skewed because often times in Idaho Republicans run unopposed for various offices.

So in the city, especially the closer you get to downtown, the more bohemian and artsy it gets. Then again, this is common in an awful lot of places, where it seems that the suburbs tend to draw more families (especially families of size) and downtown areas tend to draw more singles, students, and couples without kids (or very young families in apartments or rental houses). In our personal circle of friends, this paradigm is reflected pretty accurately.

But ANY time you go somewhere with art "fairs/festivals" of any sort, you're going to run into the crunchier/artsier elements we have to offer. Same would be true (conversely) if you went to a Remington factory truck day at Black Sheep Sports or a gun show at the fair grounds. You have a pretty good idea of which demographic you can expect to see.

I feel like we all do a much better job of getting along up here than most anywhere else I've been. I have my church friends, I have my sports friends (we don't generally discuss politics), I have my kids' activities friends (I have found that I gravitated toward like minded people over the years but get along well with others with whom I disagree), and I have my general like-minded hobby friends (where we don't discuss politics since some of those groups are obviously very mixed and we're not there for politics...we're there for the hobby).

So while I'm conservatively WAAAY to the right, I can go to the Art on the Green, run into people we know exhibiting and have nice conversations, watch my daughter perform on the stage, etc. And conservative and conservative-leaning libertarian people who make up the 65-70% majority in the county are perfectly comfortable enjoying the art walks, fairs, and festivals because everyone is way more friendly and laid back here.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:00 PM

138 posts, read 269,937 times
We don't even have gun shows here, so you're already sounding better!

Thank you Sage and Toyman.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:46 PM

288 posts, read 204,478 times
Coming from Orofino I am glad that "small town attitude" has become "Libertarian". Of course that only applies to the newcomers (3 or less generations); if you grew up there, your parents grew up there & their parents grew up there you don't have a private life. Can't wait to get back home!!!!

Old 08-07-2014, 06:40 PM

7 posts, read 11,410 times
We purchased a Prius so we could afford more, guns, ammo and hunting tags-so far it's working out great...

Old 08-08-2014, 01:17 AM

288 posts, read 204,478 times
People think it is amazing that gun safety was actually taught to every 6th grader in my school. AND that on the 1st day of deer hunting season the school is closed; or @ least it used to be.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:11 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,840,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frydazechild View Post
People think it is amazing that gun safety was actually taught to every 6th grader in my school. AND that on the 1st day of deer hunting season the school is closed; or @ least it used to be.
Yeah. Our church summertime family camp includes a hunter safety course...of course. This is north Idaho!

Old 08-08-2014, 08:52 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frydazechild View Post
First day of hunting season was a school holiday where I was a kid in northeastern PA too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho