Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 09:25 PM

297 posts, read 1,035,459 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

You might remember me from a month or so ago. I'm the guy from Seattle who was apprehensive about coming to Coeur D'Alene due to Idaho's conservative reputation. I thought it would be a bunch of stuffy old white retirees playing golf and complaining about Obama.

Well my wife and I came to Coeur D'Alene for three day over the weekend art and street fair and we had a great time. We were pleasantly surprised. There were so many people with tie dye shirts and bohemian type people with cool booths. Lots of people had tattoos, maybe even the majority. It was much more diverse that we thought too, and we heard multiple languages spoken both at the street fair and at the lake itself. Finally it was great to see so many Prius' as we drove around the city!

To top it off the storm Sunday night was a real treat since we rarely see lightning in Western WA. Overall a really great experience and some really nice people. Thanks for proving me wrong and we will definitely try to be back next year for the art and street fair.

La Fuerza
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 09:36 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,951,328 times
Most "supposedly scary" places are like that.

Glad you had a great time.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:21 AM

820 posts, read 1,740,425 times
Awesome to hear. Now don't tell too many people =)

Old 08-05-2014, 06:23 PM

138 posts, read 270,019 times
Hmmm. Good to know. This is disappointing, we were hoping to get AWAY from Santa Fe. Not that I'm into old hateful white dudes, but I was hoping to get away from the prius bohemians, lol. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:15 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,748,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagnyT63 View Post
Hmmm. Good to know. This is disappointing, we were hoping to get AWAY from Santa Fe. Not that I'm into old hateful white dudes, but I was hoping to get away from the prius bohemians, lol. Thanks for the heads up.
Some of us come here as conservatives and become progressives.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:44 PM

332 posts, read 483,270 times
Quote:
While I found the OPs original statement to be incredibly stereotypical and racist, I decided to move past it because surely he is capable of looking beyond such divisive constructs.

Regardless, people see what they choose to see. CDA is much bigger than I expected, and I don't doubt the urbanites from the coast find it "refreshing". I find it to be too big and commercialized, and I'm from Dallas. I've found Sandpoint to be much more bohemian than I would prefer, but that is coming from a different perspective. And as Misty so eloquently pointed out, many of us change our positions as we age.

So far, this area of Idaho is living up to my expectations as a libertarian community, where live and let-live is the common thread. I hope that trend continues, and others who move to the area recognize its uniqueness without trying to change it to fit their idea of utopia. Sometimes the only change that's necessary comes from within.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:53 PM

19 posts, read 27,681 times
Quote:
The key from the OP's post is that they visited during Art on the Green/tourist season. Though AOTG hosts a lot of local folks, many of the vendors are not locals... possibly > 50%. Being downtown during Art on the Green is not necessarily an accurate representation of CDA as a whole.

I don't think we have a higher concentration of Prius driving bohemians than other places, but I have only ever lived here

Old 08-05-2014, 11:07 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,277,653 times
Quote:
Not to worry, I have never owned a vehicle with <8 cylinders. Ooops sorry, my Dodge Ram only has 6, but it is a 1-ton diesel and can tow a few dozen Prius cars. If you catch me in a tie-dyed shirt that means I actually died.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:44 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Coeur d'Alene is NOT Santa Fe. Know the difference.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:41 AM

138 posts, read 270,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiden_is View Post
So far, this area of Idaho is living up to my expectations as a libertarian community, where live and let-live is the common thread.
That is what we are looking for. You have to understand that where I am, the "progressives" are the vast majority and they rule with an equally vast government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho