Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 09:01 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frydazechild View Post
People think it is amazing that gun safety was actually taught to every 6th grader in my school. AND that on the 1st day of deer hunting season the school is closed; or @ least it used to be.
We used to have a rifle club in school, with rifles and ammo provided by the CMP. The range was in the school's basement. That was in rural NYS. How times have changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 12:13 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
I found this (and variants) online, and wanted to pass it on... Wait to the last line...

Quote:
Advice for urbanites from the good people of Eastern Oregon

Because of misunderstandings that frequently develop when people from the Willamette Valley or, even worse, Californians cross into Eastern Oregon, the folk of rural Oregon have developed the following informational list:

Be Advised and Forewarned:

1. That slope-shouldered farm boy did more work before breakfast than you do all week at the gym.
2. It's called a "gravel road." No matter how slow you drive, you're going to get dust on your Navigator. I have a four wheel drive because I need it. Drive it or get it out of the way.

3. We all started hunting and fishing when we were seven years old. Yeah, we saw Bambi. We got over it.

4. Any references to "corn fed" when talking about our women will get you whipped...by our women.

5. Go ahead and bring your $600 Orvis Fly Rod. Don't cry to us if a steelhead breaks it off at the handle. We have a name for those little 13-inch trout you fish for...bait.

6. Pull your pants up. You look like an idiot.

7. If that cell phone rings while a bunch of mallards are making their final approach, we will shoot it. You might hope you don't have it up to your ear at the time.

8. That's right. Whiskey is only two bucks. We can buy a fifth for what you paid in the airport for one drink.

9. No, there's no "Vegetarian Special" on the menu. Order steak. Order it rare. Or, you can order the Chef's Salad and pick off the two pounds of ham and turkey. Yeah, we have sweet tea. It comes in a glass with two packets of sugar and a long spoon.

10. You bring Coke into my house, it better be brown, wet, and served over ice.

11. So you have a sixty thousand dollar car. We're real impressed. We have quarter of a million dollar combines that we use two weeks a year.

2. Let's get this straight. We have one stoplight in town. We stop when it's red. We may even stop when it's yellow.

13. Our women hunt, fish, and drive trucks - because they want to. So, you're a feminist. Isn't that cute.

14. Yeah, we eat catfish and sturgeon. You really want sushi and caviar? It's available at the bait shop.

15. They are pigs. That's what they smell like. Get over it.

16. The "Opener" refers to the first day of deer season. It's a religious holiday. You can get breakfast at the church.

17. So every person in every pickup waves. It's called being friendly. Understand the concept?

18. Yeah, we have golf courses. Don't hit in the water hazards. It spooks the fish.

19. That Highway Patrol Officer that just pulled you over for driving like an idiot...his name is "Sir"...no matter how old he is.

20. When you're done here, you can choose east or west, and we suggest west, because east is Idaho, and we're liberal compared to them.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:54 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
I found this (and variants) online, and wanted to pass it on... Wait to the last line...
You do realize of course that the only person on this board who remotely resembles this admirable native westerner is Banjomike and he's not exactly a tea partier from what I've read.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:22 PM

288 posts, read 204,478 times
ROTFLOL send the rest of my family really needs to see this.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:30 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
That's an interesting list.
The problem with it is the folks it is addressed to are probably people who don't have most of the interests mentioned in the list.
And those who do already understand how modern country life is. They're the ones who were often raised in the life, left it, and are now seeking a return in their retirement.

Personally, a lot of the very conservative people I grew up with would love to have an Orvis rod (or better). Some do, and those I know who have them are just as finicky about damaging them as anyone else would be. No fisherman worth his salt would ever pack a fly rod out for salmon hunting anyway, so I thought that one was way off the mark.

And while the guys might be contented with a well-used pickup, if one can afford a nice car for their woman, they'll get it bought for her. And then do all the driving on road trips. And being a $60,000 car isn't common in very many places in this country. Those who can drop that kind of money on a car most likely won't ever want to live in the boonies among strangers. If they want a cabin in the boonies, it will be in some development where they are among their own like Sun Valley of Jackson Hole.

Anther thing that was way off: I've been drinking whisky for over 40 years now, and I've never known anyone who bragged about drinking cheap whisky. or bragged about paying too much for a shot at a bar either.

Really, what the list is about is respecting the locals. Newcomers from big cities might have never been exposed to living the life here, but ignorance alone is not dis-respect. Folks who seek a country life most often are more polite than folks who have lived it all their lives, in my observation. They often need help at first, of course, but so would I if I was to move to Seattle or someplace large. Respect is a 2-way deal; the more it's given the more comes back.

In all, that list sounds like it's someone's old idea of how it once was out here many years ago. Sure, some of it still applies, but a lot of it never existed out here in the first place. This isn't new, for sure; westerners have had bones to pick with well-heeled easterners ever since the west was first settled. Charlie Russell used this theme for lots of pictures over 100 years ago.

Last edited by banjomike; 08-10-2014 at 01:40 AM..

Old 08-11-2014, 07:48 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Where can you still get a combine for $1/4 mil these days?

Old 08-11-2014, 11:19 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
A fixer-upper... bet you can find one rusting in a equipment yard somewhere in Idaho...hehe

Old 08-12-2014, 11:41 PM

98 posts, read 233,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
You can get the smaller model Case on Farming Simulator for around that.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:43 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagnyT63 View Post
Hmmm. Good to know. This is disappointing, we were hoping to get AWAY from Santa Fe. Not that I'm into old hateful white dudes, but I was hoping to get away from the prius bohemians, lol. Thanks for the heads up.
Same here. "Progressive" is not what we want.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:24 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Same here. "Progressive" is not what we want.
Don't expect to ever get a realistic picture of what life is like here in Idaho from the internet. The fact is, folks will find what they look for anywhere here. If someone is a conservative, he will find others, and if someone is progressive, so will he.
Just like anywhere else, Idaho is not, and has never been, a state where political agreement by everyone exists.

And life is much more than just politics. As it is elsewhere, Idahoans are no more or less political than anywhere else. Most folks don't care that much about politics here; they just lead their daily lives without paying much attention to it.

Historically, Idaho has switched back and forth between progressivism and conservatism ever since it became a state. That our state is currently more conservative only means it won't last forever. The longer one philosophy rules, the quicker the change happens.

Idaho is also very singular. Life here is full of natural and social challenges that aren't seen in other states. A liberal here could be considered to be a conservative elsewhere, and the same is true with a conservative. Traditionally, the Idaho panhandle has always been more progressive than southern Idaho. Most is due to big societal differences between north and south, and the fact that each is physically separated from the other by a huge belt of mountains that cuts the state in half.

I'm 70, and a native. I've seen it switch back and forth 4 times since I've been old enough to pay any attention to this stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho