Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 12:56 PM

278 posts, read 1,001,840 times

Advertisements

OK I've posted on here in the past week and now I've come to an issue on another thread so I will throw this out here in ID and see what happens..

I am of a Pagan religion. For those who dont know what that means... I am wiccan, pagan or follow an earth based religion. Basically I am not christian or believe in "God" as many other do. I dont dislike others that are not of my faith. I dont push it on others and I have strong morals. I believe that religion is a very private matter and dont agree with pushing it on others and dont like to debate with others about it.. So please dont try to preach to me... Thats not the point of this thread.

Part of my family that would be moving to ID (if I choose to move there) is gay (male).

How much of an issue will this be for us if we choose to move to ID??? Where would it be best? ...any more open-minded areas or are these issues not a huge problem in ID?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 02:02 PM

993 posts, read 3,253,112 times
I'm just guessing but if you loose the labeling of yourself and family members you can fit in anywhere.
Just be an American and all else will work itself out.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:03 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,193 times
Of course you will be accepted. There are areas of the state that you would be better off choosing such as the Boise area and if you are wealthy the Sun Valley area and if you want to live in the evergreens then look at northern Idaho. I am not Wiccan but I know there is a large following that is always growing in Boise. Boise has plenty of new age stores, religious centers, and a new Vegan cafe which is frequented by pagans, wiccans, and tree spirit lovers Boise also has a fairly large gay and lesbian community and is an open city. It is not uncommon to see a lesbian couple or gay couple holding hands as they walk around downtown. This is not Seattle or San Fran by any means, but Boise is a tolerant little city. There is a large Christian population of course, but there is enough non Christian views and religions to foster a healthy balance.

For example there is a Goddess Fest held each year in a downtown park, next weekend there is a Holisitc Wellness Faire and several other new age yearly events. I think you would do fine in Boise.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:00 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRYDER View Post
I'm just guessing but if you loose the labeling of yourself and family members you can fit in anywhere.
Just be an American and all else will work itself out.
Great reply and I ditto

Old 04-11-2009, 11:16 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,848 times
And I "tritto!" I'd also like to put in a vote for IF. There might not be a big gay scene here, but there are gay people. Really you should choose based on the area you want to be and will enjoy and not on concerns about other people. Just my .02 cents.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:08 AM

278 posts, read 1,001,840 times
Thanks.. I DONT label myself or anyothers but after reading some people on here who DO and was told NOT to move such and such place because of voilence towards then I thought I'd throw this out there.. Thanks for the info

Old 04-12-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needing more View Post
Thanks.. I DONT label myself or anyothers but after reading some people on here who DO and was told NOT to move such and such place because of voilence towards then I thought I'd throw this out there.. Thanks for the info
I always view such comments as being suspect, myself, as they don't reflect my experiences at all, and my own personal lense was formed over a lifetime in Oakland/Berkeley/SF so I think I am about as sensitive to these issues as one can be.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:10 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
Just what the good folks of Idaho need. More GAY PAGANS moving in. Idaho will absorb you and you will go through a transformation that will change you into a more mainstream lifestyle or you will get fed up and move back to the place that spawned you. The alternative lifestyle folks living in the inland northwest are deluding themselves in thinking that they are being accepted by the locals.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:38 AM

464 posts, read 1,111,504 times
I have to agree with Desertryder. I am not big on labeling people either. I don't move into a new neighborhood or proclaim at a new job that I am a freedom loving Constitution adhering Patriot. Nor do I tell them that anyone who votes Democrat or Republican is deluding themselves into believing there is a difference and that they are truly the problem with America today. The only answer is the Constitution, but everyone wants their way or the highway.

You see, if I went around proclaiming my closely held beliefs then i probably wouldn't have many friends...nor would I have a job for that matter. Of course, there is always a danger of being victimized by some ignorant fools who think being gay is a crime or something. Just don't go around proclaiming to the world and you should be fine.

I have seen reports of hate crimes against gays in California ALL THE TIME, yet California is supposedly a haven for gays. Not true...there is no haven anywhere for anyone. Random violence can occur to anyone. My own step father had two armed men break down his front down and gunned him down with two shotguns...he fought back with his revolver and came out on top(alive). He wasn't gay, but what happened to him is no less insidious than four guys beating the crap out of another guy just because that guy is gay. To me there is no distinction, both crimes are hateful in intent.

My overall point. Random violence can happen anywhere and to anyone...it only takes one hateful or spiteful individual to spark violence upon an innocent person. The best course of action, in Idaho anyways, is to take advantage of the open carry law there. I doubt any hate crime will occur upon a gay dude if that dude is packin' heat...ya know? That's my two cents.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Just what the good folks of Idaho need. More GAY PAGANS moving in. Idaho will absorb you and you will go through a transformation that will change you into a more mainstream lifestyle or you will get fed up and move back to the place that spawned you. The alternative lifestyle folks living in the inland northwest are deluding themselves in thinking that they are being accepted by the locals.
IMHO, that is horse stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho