Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 01:09 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,526,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTown11 View Post
I have to agree with Desertryder. I am not big on labeling people either. I don't move into a new neighborhood or proclaim at a new job that I am a freedom loving Constitution adhering Patriot. Nor do I tell them that anyone who votes Democrat or Republican is deluding themselves into believing there is a difference and that they are truly the problem with America today. The only answer is the Constitution, but everyone wants their way or the highway.

You see, if I went around proclaiming my closely held beliefs then i probably wouldn't have many friends...nor would I have a job for that matter. Of course, there is always a danger of being victimized by some ignorant fools who think being gay is a crime or something. Just don't go around proclaiming to the world and you should be fine.

I have seen reports of hate crimes against gays in California ALL THE TIME, yet California is supposedly a haven for gays. Not true...there is no haven anywhere for anyone. Random violence can occur to anyone. My own step father had two armed men break down his front down and gunned him down with two shotguns...he fought back with his revolver and came out on top(alive). He wasn't gay, but what happened to him is no less insidious than four guys beating the crap out of another guy just because that guy is gay. To me there is no distinction, both crimes are hateful in intent.

My overall point. Random violence can happen anywhere and to anyone...it only takes one hateful or spiteful individual to spark violence upon an innocent person. The best course of action, in Idaho anyways, is to take advantage of the open carry law there. I doubt any hate crime will occur upon a gay dude if that dude is packin' heat...ya know? That's my two cents.
Great post, Sactown!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 02:30 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,845,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
IMHO, that is horse stuff.
Well now...maybe we should look at this though. There is some truth in the statement that if they're seeking acceptance in Idaho it WILL be some degree on not being "way out there" to where an alternative lifestyle is offensive to the mainstream heavily Christian population. That's just a fact. Rickers makes a good point that how much they are accepted will probably hinge on HOW gay and HOW pagan they are, since wearing that on your sleeve grates on people, no matter how otherwise accepting they'd try to be.

We have gay friends here and they don't hide it, but neither are they way out there with it. And I had some friends who WERE that way in SoCal, and they WOULD NOT have fit in at all around North Idaho.

I have to say there's truth to the statement that living in Idaho will either mold people to be Idahoans or they may get fed up and leave too. We knew some yuppie types that we met in Sandpoint. They felt everyone else should bend to make THEM feel better, and they just never really fit in. They only lasted a year before they "left this backward state".

So NCM101, while we may take umbrage with several of those comments, I think there is also some truth in there...

Old 04-13-2009, 02:55 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,546,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
Well now...maybe we should look at this though. There is some truth in the statement that if they're seeking acceptance in Idaho it WILL be some degree on not being "way out there" to where an alternative lifestyle is offensive to the mainstream heavily Christian population. That's just a fact. Rickers makes a good point that how much they are accepted will probably hinge on HOW gay and HOW pagan they are, since wearing that on your sleeve grates on people, no matter how otherwise accepting they'd try to be.

We have gay friends here and they don't hide it, but neither are they way out there with it. And I had some friends who WERE that way in SoCal, and they WOULD NOT have fit in at all around North Idaho.

I have to say there's truth to the statement that living in Idaho will either mold people to be Idahoans or they may get fed up and leave too. We knew some yuppie types that we met in Sandpoint. They felt everyone else should bend to make THEM feel better, and they just never really fit in. They only lasted a year before they "left this backward state".

So NCM101, while we may take umbrage with several of those comments, I think there is also some truth in there...
Once again, Sage states things far better than I will

Needing More, people in the area are pretty independant, and for the most part don't care about what you do in your personal life. I think it's unlikely that you would be actively harrased for being gay or wiccan. However, as I think you surmised, the area has a strong, traditional christian base. While not harrased, you might not be as readily welcomed as you might like and have trouble making friends, especially as Sage puts it, depending on how "out there" you are with your lifestyle.

My thoughts are that you would want to look at some of the more (I hate to use the word) "liberal" areas, such as Moscow, with the university, or Boise. It may be easier to build a circle of friends in those areas than NID.

The one thing you (or anyone else) will want to avoid is trying to "force" your lifestyle choice on others, or demand acceptance. That's equally true rather that choice is gay, pagan, born-again, LDS, athiest, etc. Lifestyle choices are a personal decision, it always pays to be considerate of the "audience".

Old 04-13-2009, 03:53 PM

I don't disagree with either of you, but from my experience here very few people have questioned my personal religious or sexual orientation. The gay and pagan folks I know who live here seem perfectly happy. I don't think being christian or conservative necessarily translates into being nosy or judgemental, although certainly these traits can be concurrent. I agree about not labelling oneself and making issues where there are none. I don't want to hear about wicca any more than I want to hear about the book of mormon, and don't care which others embrace as long as they leave me alone about it. The quality of life is different here than in metropolitan areas, where it has already been noted there is a greater incidence of violence against gays. I've found the people I have had the pleasure of interacting with in SE Idaho to be for the most part decent and reasonable. Be decent and reasonable too and it shouldn't matter who you are.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:11 PM

31 posts, read 78,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Just what the good folks of Idaho need. More GAY PAGANS moving in. Idaho will absorb you and you will go through a transformation that will change you into a more mainstream lifestyle or you will get fed up and move back to the place that spawned you. The alternative lifestyle folks living in the inland northwest are deluding themselves in thinking that they are being accepted by the locals.
I tried to look at this message and gain value, but I couldn't get past how laden it was with demeaning innuendos. Gays and Pagans aren't spawned, they are born like you and me. And I would welcome more decent people to this area regardless of their life and religion choices, to me I would pose this statement back at you - Just what the good folks of Idaho need, more intolerable ignorance corrupting the perception of others who are forming a view of our culture. These people aren't deluding themselves in thinking they are being accepted by us locals, they simply see the strong majority of us that won't pass judgment on them and welcome any positive contribution they can bring to our society.

To the OP - I have quite a few gay friends, and even more agnostic / atheist friends who fit in quite well. The key most of them have found is what others have already pointed out. If you don't want it to become an issue, don't make it an issue. We have pride parades in town, a gay bar, Wiccan groups, and various other support groups to celebrate your lifestyle. Outside of that, most people just choose to focus on what kind of person you are, rather than what kind of religious and sexual choices you make. Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for. BTW - I live in Pocatello.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:06 PM

464 posts, read 1,112,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsomniac66 View Post
I tried to look at this message and gain value, but I couldn't get past how laden it was with demeaning innuendos. Gays and Pagans aren't spawned, they are born like you and me. And I would welcome more decent people to this area regardless of their life and religion choices, to me I would pose this statement back at you - Just what the good folks of Idaho need, more intolerable ignorance corrupting the perception of others who are forming a view of our culture. These people aren't deluding themselves in thinking they are being accepted by us locals, they simply see the strong majority of us that won't pass judgment on them and welcome any positive contribution they can bring to our society.

To the OP - I have quite a few gay friends, and even more agnostic / atheist friends who fit in quite well. The key most of them have found is what others have already pointed out. If you don't want it to become an issue, don't make it an issue. We have pride parades in town, a gay bar, Wiccan groups, and various other support groups to celebrate your lifestyle. Outside of that, most people just choose to focus on what kind of person you are, rather than what kind of religious and sexual choices you make. Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for. BTW - I live in Pocatello.
You know, I couldn't quite wrap my head around that post either. I was thinking he/she was being sarcastic or coy, but it also could be very genuine. So rather than make the mistake of assuming the authors intent, I choose to ignore it.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:29 PM

278 posts, read 1,002,434 times
I consider myself an American. I dont push things on others and I keep these matters very private. But if I wear a necklace with a religious symbol to me I wanted to make sure I wasnt going to get called out about it. I dont wear any shirts thats say "Hey There I'm Pagan"...LOL
As for the gay couple.. They are very very private about their lifestyle.. They dont dress any different or talk any different then any other male I know. So they wont be out there listening to Elton John full blast in their pink polos kissing on eachother in town square... Not that I would mind that at all in any city I lived in..

I just want to make sure that we will be able to live a normal life, be able to make friends and not be the black sheep once we open up to our new friends about our lifestyles.

BTW you can check my other posts about our business ideas and where to live in ID on SW MI to ID???
Thanks for everyone who posted.. Always nice to hear from all kinds of people

Old 04-14-2009, 05:21 PM

420 posts, read 1,194,651 times
I have read all of the aforementioned posts and have to give my two cents worth. I worked hate crimes in Southern CA as a Detective. I have worked with the gay community in several different cities.

You run into problems when males start meeting each other for dates in the local woods where kids play. The locals call these guys creepers because they sneak up and down the hiking paths to meet other guys and then do their 'thing' right in the bushes.

They also meet at the local parks and do the same thing in the restrooms. This is a vice issue and we clamped down pretty hard on them due to the kid factor. Keep your stuff out of other peoples faces and you probably won't have a problem. Advertise it and hang around where kids play and your gonna have a whole bunch of guys like me to answer to.

I know a lot of people in the gay community who are great. They don't run around shoving it in your face. The Pagan aspect is simple. You have the right to worship how and where you want to, as long as it works no ill or harm to your neighbor.

I am a Born Again Christian who believes Jesus Christ died on the Cross to save mankind from all sin. However, I do not run up to everyone I meet and tell them I am a Christian and try to convert them.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:17 PM

993 posts, read 3,254,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman 100 View Post
You run into problems when males start meeting each other for dates in the local woods where kids play. The locals call these guys creepers because they sneak up and down the hiking paths to meet other guys and then do their 'thing' right in the bushes.

:
Man I am really hoping my first encounter in the bushes of Idaho is with a big old buck not some fool shakin his junk at me

Old 04-14-2009, 06:28 PM

I buy coffee at a fast food drive through where the chick always has her wiccan jewelry on and well, she has a job working with the public and seems just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho