Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2014, 11:52 AM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times

Advertisements

I'm headed up to the Rathdrum Prairie on Wednesday and while there, will be visiting with a realtor who has agreed to "show me around".

For the purposes of establishing residency, is it worthwhile purchasing a bare plot of land?

(I do not expect to ever build upon it.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 12:00 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
I suppose the answer depends on residency for what purpose: kids for school disctrict, state for driver's licence, college for tuition, etc.

But I can't imagine a bare lot with no residence being enough to get residency for any example I can think of. The very word "residence" means the place in which a person lives. So unless you can show that you are parking a trailer on the property and living there (which may not be legal in some areas), you are not a resident, and therefore should not be able to get residency.

You get residency for the place in which you reside.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:13 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Hi, Volosong…
From your previous posts, it's pretty apparent that you intend to live in Idaho once you make the move here.
Buying a piece of undeveloped ground may be a help in establishing residency, but I think it is a question that you should ask the county clerk about.

If you don't expect to ever develop the property, there may be better ways of establishing residency that could make better use of money in regards to your future plans. It may be better for you to live here as a non-resident for a while first.

I don't know enough either way to offer any reliable help, but the County Clerk will. Idahoans being who they are, I'm pretty sure you'll get good advice that is specific to your individual plans and desires. If she can't help you, our Secretary of State will. That's a big part of the job.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:55 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,061 times
Is it to get a driver's license? The ITD has this:

"You must reside inside Idaho’s borders to be issued an Idaho driver’s license or ID card. Proof of residency can be shown with documents such as lease or rental agreements, utility bills, school enrollment records, etc. Your home address (where you live) cannot be your workplace, vacation residence, a part-time residence, P.O. Box, mail drop, or general delivery (that have been mailed to the applicant.) "

Old 12-01-2014, 04:02 PM

820 posts, read 1,739,471 times
You cannot establish residency without a address, and bare land does not qualify. :/ sorry bud.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:57 PM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Thanks for the feedback. The property does have an address and is within the city limits. It just doesn't have utilities to the lots yet. I'll ask around when I'm up there this next weekend.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:04 PM

213 posts, read 343,222 times
What about buying some land that already has basic utilities? I'm thinking one with power supply. Use a timer to run the power once a day. There you have a utility bill, opt for paperless bills. Then I'd take that to the DMV, allude that I live in a trailer as I'm working towards getting my house up.

Another idea would be to rent a room in a house for a month, use the rental agreement papers as your proof of residency. Sometimes you can find month to month rentals. $400 is cheaper than buying some land.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:00 PM

276 posts, read 643,998 times
Residency is, by definition, where you reside.
If you don't reside in Idaho, you're not a resident.
Why are people always trying to game the system?

Old 12-01-2014, 08:25 PM

820 posts, read 1,739,471 times
There is no need to ask around. Residency is verified every couple of years, and just having utilities to the property is not sufficient. There needs to be a habitable residence. If there is not, then there is no way to gain residency. Simple as that.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:00 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
It has to be your primary residence, like Elousv points out. For hunting permits, gun purchases, driver's licenses etc, a second home doesn't count, let alone bare land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho