Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 09:38 PM

3 posts, read 4,098 times

Advertisements

My job is with a contracting company out of the country so I will not be reliant on the local economy. I can live anywhere I want to, but I choose to live in a place consistent with my values. I can get along with most people, hippies and liberals included, until they start taxing me for their silly unicorn dreams or restrict my constitutional rights.

At this time I live walking distance to pubs and eating places with a 45 minute drive to the Cascades, 20 minutes tops to gun ranges and a ferry ride away to good bear hunting. I would like to find something like that in Idaho sans the liberal authoritarian taxes and gun laws.

I am used to being held in contempt for being a vet, white, straight and Christian, it does not bother me, people have a right a to believe what they want. So that being said I am ok around universities and granola enclaves, but I do not want to relocate where the lefties are actually passing laws and meddling in infrastructure ( Seattle traffic is a shining example of what happens when you let progressives manage something)

Winters are not an issue for me, in fact I miss a good winter, I grew up in Michigan and worked the boats in Alaska. For the record I will not be bringing the values of the place I am leaving behind. As a matter of fact I would prefer to avoid the deserts and dry areas

I am also considering opening a business in the next few years depending on where I end up. I plan on working for myself in a few years, however I would be very cognizant of opening something that contributes rather than " fundamentally transforming" an area.

After seeing what the invaders have done to my state, my wonderful state, I am very cognizant about how my actions would affect others and do not want to do that to anyone else. I am respectful and adaptable and a good neighbor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 10:55 PM

186 posts, read 240,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browncoat762 View Post
My job is with a contracting company out of the country so I will not be reliant on the local economy. I can live anywhere I want to, but I choose to live in a place consistent with my values. I can get along with most people, hippies and liberals included, until they start taxing me for their silly unicorn dreams or restrict my constitutional rights.

At this time I live walking distance to pubs and eating places with a 45 minute drive to the Cascades, 20 minutes tops to gun ranges and a ferry ride away to good bear hunting. I would like to find something like that in Idaho sans the liberal authoritarian taxes and gun laws.

I am used to being held in contempt for being a vet, white, straight and Christian, it does not bother me, people have a right a to believe what they want. So that being said I am ok around universities and granola enclaves, but I do not want to relocate where the lefties are actually passing laws and meddling in infrastructure ( Seattle traffic is a shining example of what happens when you let progressives manage something)

Winters are not an issue for me, in fact I miss a good winter, I grew up in Michigan and worked the boats in Alaska. For the record I will not be bringing the values of the place I am leaving behind. As a matter of fact I would prefer to avoid the deserts and dry areas

I am also considering opening a business in the next few years depending on where I end up. I plan on working for myself in a few years, however I would be very cognizant of opening something that contributes rather than " fundamentally transforming" an area.

After seeing what the invaders have done to my state, my wonderful state, I am very cognizant about how my actions would affect others and do not want to do that to anyone else. I am respectful and adaptable and a good neighbor
I'm guessing that you'd like North Idaho, since you don't mind the snow. Check-out the Coeur D'Alene area, as well as Sandpoint and possibly Bonner's Ferry.

Boise's awesome, too. But, they don't get much snow.

Thank you for your service!

Old 12-14-2014, 12:15 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,840,763 times
Browncoat762, you'll find that NID will be a great fit for your values, especially with your desire to "live and let live" with those who disagree with your politics. I think right in Sandpoint (city) you may find yourself annoyed by the crunchy/artsie/new-agey folks, but I think anywhere else in Bonner County or anywhere in Boundary County you'd be pretty happy.

CDA (city) is IMO becoming more progressive, but most other parts of that county shouldn't annoy you much.

And yeah...thank you for your service. One thing you will like is that we have an strong retired military presence in NID.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:32 AM

10 posts, read 17,343 times
Browncoat762...you'll LOVE it in Shoshone County. Bear hunting??? Wolf??? Elk/deer whatever ya want....right out the back door of my house. What are you looking for house wise? 4br? 2? How much are ya willing to spend? Private message me and I can tell ya ALL about what lifes like here and from what you've posted as what your looking for....ya found it....fresh 8-10 inch brook trout are literally 60ft out my back sliding door as are my spring and fall turkeys and grouse.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:17 PM

186 posts, read 240,090 times
I, too, like the idea of a strong retired military presence in NID. And, as retirees go, it it also my understanding that "The Thin Blue Line" is pretty thick in NID, as well. Would that be fair to say, Sage?

Old 12-15-2014, 01:45 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,840,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnw2016 View Post
I, too, like the idea of a strong retired military presence in NID. And, as retirees go, it it also my understanding that "The Thin Blue Line" is pretty thick in NID, as well. Would that be fair to say, Sage?
Yes. In the western USA, Bullhead City AZ (for those who like the heat) the CDA-Sandpoint corridor (for those who like cold) have the highest per capita of retired cops. At least, they did when I left the department 15 years ago. But there are still a lot of cops retiring up here (based partially on conversations with people here, partially just on how many DM's I get right here on CDF from other cops considering this area), so I don't see that changing any time soon.

One very nice thing...and I've said this probably much more eloquently in other threads, is that here in NID while we lack racial diversity, we are high in racial tolerance/acceptance. White, black, hispanic, asian...we're all just Idahoans.

That is something that appeals to me as a retired cop...because regardless of race...we were all tan and green together (in uniform) and that came first. When a guy will risk everything to back me up in a firefight I really don't give a rip what color his skin may be.

I think our biggest problem with prejudice is sports towns and rivalries here. Seriously, that can get pretty ugly here.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:21 AM

356 posts, read 520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browncoat762 View Post

Browncoat: I agree with what others have said re. your ideological fit in North Idaho. It's only the above that might be an issue for you. Bonners Ferry is quite small (But totally fabulous-my number 1 pick, BTW, but too small for Daddy Lion and the Cub. ) Sandpoint is walkable, but, as Sage said, probably not the best ideological fit. CDA, I'm not so familiar with, because it's tooooo big. I'll leave that for Shaner to sell to you. I think you might want to look outside the towns; they tend to lean left (well, as left as it gets up here.)

So, thank you for your service, from a left-wing state, former law enforcement refugee family, and welcome to the forums! (We love it here, BTW. It's a completely new experience, being a moderate. Looking forward to my fourth winter, should it ever arrive. )

Old 12-15-2014, 05:44 PM

820 posts, read 1,740,155 times
Truthfully, I would say it depends on what type of residence you want. If you want to remain a city dweller with ability to go out and do your thing, I would says midtown or downtown CDA. If you want a little space and don't mind driving a bit, I would says north Hayden Lake, Rathdrum, Athol, or Garwood areas.

Everything exists here that you want, you just need to decide which type of life you want up here!

Old 12-15-2014, 10:35 PM

I'll say it again...Shoshone County is EXACTLY what you say your looking for. I noticed in the Montana forum you posted the same question...Missoula is 125 miles away from Kellogg and Spokane is 70 and everything not in "the valley" is the city to us here...we have pretty much every convenience we need here except maybe a movie theater we try to shop local and only go over one of the two passes to "the city" if we have to or want to. In January the longest it will take you to get to downtown Coeur d'Alene is an hour max...hour and half to Spokane but again if you have no reason to go why would you right? Come visit and you may not leave...I was on my way to Montana and stopped here and decided to look at houses....nine days later I was moving my furniture in.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:49 PM

Oh...I forgot we don't have much "fast food" either..McDonalds and Subway and a couple mom & pop burger and shake places that make you never want McD's ever again (I haven't eaten there in 4 years) but plenty of real quality restaurants...when I say quality I'll put it this way...the market here isn't big enough for a place to survive being just OK here you better get what you pay for and be happy with it and the service or people won't eat there it's that simple. And being in one of the most beautiful places in North America (My opinion of course) having to drive a few miles is always someting I tend to look forward to. The fishing is blue ribbon as well as the hunting,the scenery is AMAZING and the people are great. Wish I would've moved here sooner really. Another plus in my book...we can drive snow mobiles,atv's,side by sides and just about whatever on the streets here (not I-90 but anywhere else) as long as you have the minimum stuff i.e. horn,mirror,head and brake lights I think your good to go so your never "stuck" someplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho