Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 04:54 PM

6 posts, read 6,950 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am planning to move to Idaho soon from Arkansas. I will be moving with my wife and our two daughters. We would like to find property and build somewhere that is private and has easy access to outdoor activities like kayaking, backpacking, hunting and fishing. But we also would like to be within an hour from a decent sized city. My daughters are active in gymnastics and I do jiu jitsu so I would prefer a place that has good gyms. I prefer mountains and trees over high desert so I've been leaning towards Coeur D Alene so far. I would love to find property that backs up to BLM land or something like that. Coeur D Alene also seems to be the most scenic. But I'm still having a hard time making a decision so any advise, suggestion and information on these three areas would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 09:37 AM

212 posts, read 308,885 times
Come visit CDA. It sounds like it would best meet your criteria. I've never been to IF so I can't comment on that. We moved to CDA from Georgia and we love it here. You will love leaving those awful, humid summers behind in Arkansas. We really liked Boise but it was too dry and scrubby for us. I would rather live in Boise than Atlanta but the panhandle was more what we were looking for.

There are gymnastic places here but I don't know about jiu jitsu. Whatever amenities you are looking for, if CDA doesn't have it a relatively short drive to Spokane will likely take care of it. As always, you just need to come visit each place and see for yourself. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:05 AM

448 posts, read 813,289 times
Quote:
There are gymnastic places here but I don't know about jiu jitsu. Whatever amenities you are looking for, if CDA doesn't have it a relatively short drive to Spokane will likely take care of it.
While there are numerous places in Spokane, there are also two Jiu Jitsu schools (academies/gyms/etc.) in CDA:

Iron Lion Jiu Jitsu in Dalton Gardens
Warhorse Karate Jiu Jitsu in Post Falls

Both are branches of other/larger schools based in Spokane. Additionally, if you were looking a little farther out from CDA, there are two schools/gyms in Sandpoint, although I'm sure they are smaller than the CDA offerings:

Black Bear Martial Arts Center
Team Grappler's Guild (website hasn't been updated in a while, but the group appeared pretty successful from news articles, their facebook page, etc. Can't tell if they are still operational.)

Old 02-22-2015, 12:11 AM

Thanks a lot for the information! I'll def have to come to CDA and visit first but after these two replies I'm feeling pretty confident that'd it's the best place for me. And the gym info was very helpful. Thanks!

Old 02-22-2015, 08:48 AM

356 posts, read 520,540 times
The only other big question is employment. The job market is pretty tough.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:18 AM

Well I'm a fluids engineer. I work out of town on an oil rig so the idaho job market won't affect me.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:29 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Default Visit All

Hi JAS,

I'd encourage you and your family to visit all the areas you listed. Especially since your employment is outside Idaho, I believe it is important your family, living in Idaho while you're at work elsewhere, feels at home and that their needs can be met regardless of your location. Gymnastics are easily available in all the areas you mentioned.

As you plan your visit to all the locations, please let us know what others in your family voice as what services and other they would want to feel at home. We might be able to give you additional information to help.

Good luck in your search for "home."

MSR

Old 02-22-2015, 12:47 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Hi, Jas…
Truly, the only way you will know for sure which town is right for you is to come visit all of them.

I live in Idaho Falls; we have several girl's gymnastic studios and groups here, and the same is true with martial arts studios. All 3 communities have rural properties surrounding them so it won't be hard to find a piece of ground to build a home if that's what you want, and all the outdoor stuff you like to do can be easily done from all three.

There are a few things about Idaho that is always true, no matter where you are or live: no matter where you are, wilderness is no more than a half hour away. When you are out in wilderness, you won't ever see a crowd of other people unless you go to an event. The winters here aren't any colder than they are all over the Intermountain states.

But most of all, nothing you now think what Idaho is like is accurate. Idaho is impossible to explain in words or pictures.
Take your time and read through this forum, take a look at the photos and all, and you will get a bit more of what life is like here, but trying to really make a decision of where is best for you can only be answered by a family vacation out here. The more you look around, the more you'll find.

If you make plans for a visit, come back and let us know what the plans are- I've met a few folks who came to check out I.F. and gave them a brief tour of town, and I'm sure other folks in Boise and C d'A would do the same. I recommend planning to spend a few days in each, and coming by car will allow you a chance to see some of the many natural wonders we have here.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:34 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Here's a good website that shows off Idaho's natural scenery.
It's an Idaho PBS show that has been produced for years and has won a lot of awards. It has episodes that feature every part of the state.

Outdoor Idaho | Watch Online | PBS Video

Old 02-24-2015, 11:02 AM

46 posts, read 66,689 times
Thanks a lot for that, BanjoMike. I don't watch much tv, and had no idea there existed a PBS series devoted solely to Idaho. Now I know another good diversion when I need a break in the evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho