Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 02:09 PM

181 posts, read 270,987 times

Advertisements

Anyone on here have horses in Sandpoint? I know horses can handle the snow, just want to know some pointers from others.My horses have never been in the snow.

Thanks
Semper Fi
USMC/Ret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 04:01 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,754,492 times
I've had many horses for 14-15 years in Priest Lake and Sandpoint. What kinds of info are you looking for? If you're coming from a warm climate yiu might want to blanket them. Waterproof turnout rugs and stable blankets are best...leg straps if they are turned out in them. If you're planning on riding in snow and your horses need shoes, you might need borium shoes to stop slipping, bare feet are best in snow...they don't tend to gather snowballs as easily as shod hooves do.
Best way to keep horses warm is keeping good grass hay in front of them. Their digestion process keeps them warm. And keep water unfrozen and easily accessed as well as free choice salt to encourage them to keep drinking even when it's cold and wet. Impaction colics are never fun.
This might help: http://www.thehorse.com/articles/226...ng-horses-warm

Feel free to ask away.

Last edited by mistyriver; 05-09-2016 at 04:35 PM..

Old 05-09-2016, 04:26 PM

5 posts, read 17,710 times
SURPRISING UPDATE FROM ORIGINAL POSTER:

Many, many thanks to all those who replied, especially Sage and Cog. Here's a long overdue update...

I'm happy to report that we actually did it! We are now Sandpoint locals :-) .

Last summer, we took a deep breath, left the Bay Area with our three kids, and moved on to 18 acres in the Selle Valley.

We survived our first winter without incident (though everyone assured us it was yet another mild winter.) In fact, we loved it. Sage, I think often about when you said you "LOVE LOVE LOVE" having real seasons, and we agree. We were sledding on Xmas eve, skied weekly, and thoroughly enjoyed the cozy downtime imposed by the winter. Yes, the gloom was finally starting to get old just about March, but hey, just when we needed it, a new season is here and I've never experienced one quite so beautiful.

We have been overwhelmed by how welcoming our neighbors have been -- and for the record we are left-leaning moderates, and our neighbors are all very conservative, yet they have embraced us and we now socialize regularly.

We keep waiting for the moment of regret to kick, but 9 months in, we are just loving it and pinching ourselves that we are here. And yes, I gotta use the cliche: we only regret that we hemmed and hawed for so long.

Again, I'm very grateful to everyone who participated in this thread for your no-bull advice. I can't thank you enough. Cheers!

Old 05-09-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphils View Post

Many, many thanks to all those who replied, especially Sage and Cog. Here's a long overdue update...

Last summer, we took a deep breath, left the Bay Area with our three kids, and moved on to 18 acres in the Selle Valley.

We survived our first winter without incident (though everyone assured us it was yet another mild winter.) In fact, we loved it. Sage, I think often about when you said you "LOVE LOVE LOVE" having real seasons, and we agree. We were sledding on Xmas eve, skied weekly, and thoroughly enjoyed the cozy downtime imposed by the winter. Yes, the gloom was finally starting to get old just about March, but hey, just when we needed it, a new season is here and I've never experienced one quite so beautiful.

We have been overwhelmed by how welcoming our neighbors have been -- and for the record we are left-leaning moderates, and our neighbors are all very conservative, yet they have embraced us and we now socialize regularly.

We keep waiting for the moment of regret to kick, but 9 months in, we are just loving it and pinching ourselves that we are here. And yes, I gotta use the cliche: we only regret that we hemmed and hawed for so long.

Again, I'm very grateful to everyone who participated in this thread for your no-bull advice. I can't thank you enough. Cheers!
Good for you and welcome! Who is Cog?

Old 05-09-2016, 04:43 PM

5 posts, read 17,710 times
Thanks, mistyriver, and thank you also for all ofyour comments as well!

As for "cog", I was referring to "coginthewheel", who posted one of the longest answers to my question.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:20 PM

Default Same boat

Quote:

I'm here in SoCal, so ready to leave. I'm more Conservative but with an open mind. I love the outdoors, fishing, hunting, skiiing, hiking, my horses of course, retired Marine Corps. I'm looking slightly north of Sandpoint or even in Sagle. Looking for at least 10 acres with a house or more acreage with a house. I'm only bringing furry baggage, three dogs, 2 horses. I was thinking about boarding my horses and taking my three dogs and I to a camp ground while I search for a house.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:08 PM

7,386 posts, read 12,689,597 times
Quote:

That's great news! I think we all appreciate follow-up posts, and particularly when they are as positive as yours. I hope Sage will read your input at some point. He is apparently taking a hiatus from C-D.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:11 AM

356 posts, read 521,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelshund20 View Post
Anyone on here have horses in Sandpoint? I know horses can handle the snow, just want to know some pointers from others.My horses have never been in the snow.

Thanks
Semper Fi
USMC/Ret.
Hi Teufelshund. I've been in DC for the past week and a half, and I missed your post. I moved 2 horses from Central California 5 years ago. I'm a bit foggy right now-we just got back last night and I'm on my first cup of coffee - so this is just a quick reply. I'll (hopefully remember to) come back later and write something coherent.

In the meantime, any specific questions?

Mama Lion

Old 05-16-2016, 10:33 AM

Default Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionFamily View Post
Hi Teufelshund. I've been in DC for the past week and a half, and I missed your post. I moved 2 horses from Central California 5 years ago. I'm a bit foggy right now-we just got back last night and I'm on my first cup of coffee - so this is just a quick reply. I'll (hopefully remember to) come back later and write something coherent.

In the meantime, any specific questions?

Mama Lion
I just need to know if there are good hay and feed stores, competent farriers, in Sandpoint. I would imagine I need to buy a water warmer during the winter, so the horses can drink.

Recommended shelters for the winter, e.g. small barn, or enclosed protective shelter or something.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelshund20 View Post
I just need to know if there are good hay and feed stores, competent farriers, in Sandpoint. I would imagine I need to buy a water warmer during the winter, so the horses can drink.

Recommended shelters for the winter, e.g. small barn, or enclosed protective shelter or something.
Harvey Lippert is a great person to buy hay from by the ton and he will stack it for you too if you pay him for it. Carter Country, The Co-op and North 40 have everything you'll need as far as feed, and carter country does sell hay by the bale as well.

Tim Nichols is the best farrier in the area, bar none ...or his son Caleb. Tim was a rodeo bulldogger and Caleb rides Broncs.. They know horses feet like nobodies business. And do the best horses in the area...the big trainers, etc. Triton Vet (Jenny Grimmet) is the best horse vet.

A three sided shelter (loafing shed) is really all you need. You don't want a horse in the wet and wind when it's really cold...that's what is dangerous to them. Most of the above stores will sell decent blankets, etc.

I moved from Arizona to Sandpoint so though it's not from California it was from a warm, desert climate.

Last edited by mistyriver; 05-16-2016 at 02:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho