Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 05:26 PM

318 posts, read 439,898 times

Advertisements

They do not drive and there is no public bus service in those towns, which is another gripe I have about Idaho.

Nothing in Hayden, where there is a bus...there are a few extended stays in Kellogg that is serviced by Greyhound but they cannot go of CAD and back to Kellogg on the same day.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I wonder where the carpetbaggers are going, next.

Last edited by clearwater66; 07-08-2015 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: Addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 06:37 PM

271 posts, read 392,982 times
I sympathize with your situation and we had similar struggles, but this is also the absolute worst time of year to be looking. It does speak to the popularity and growth of CDA.

What could be done to help the situation really?

Old 07-08-2015, 07:34 PM

What would really help is to do what other cities/states have done. Before developers are allowed to completely overtake an area with expensive housing, they need to be required to build an equal number of senior and low income housing for workers. That is only the fair and right thing to do...be a part of the whole community, not just the upper, low percent or newcomers.

Whereas, I sometimes read on this forum that people fear government, I fear the exploitation of Idaho is coming from corporations, who see us only as consumers and may be encouraging us to focus on government as a detraction, so they can sneak in the back door and not be noticed, until it is too late.

Don't like regulation? me too but we need to boycott. I would like to see all the minimum wage employees in the hotels and restaurants in CDA just walk off their jobs in the middle of a busy summer weekend for one day, as a way to draw attention to the problem. Then,if something does not change, schedule another walkout and once people start losing money, they will get the message and they will do something.

This way, we don't need to legislate because the people will be in control.

I hope we can protect Idaho...where will we go?

Last edited by clearwater66; 07-08-2015 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 07-09-2015, 08:48 AM

742 posts, read 1,136,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwater66 View Post
WOW!

For the past 2 days, I have been trying to find affordable housing for a older (66) man and his wife (68) in Coeur D' Alene because he needs to be an outpatient at Kootenai Hospital for 4 to 6 months.

The hospital owns an 8 bedroom house that is only available 1 or 2 days at a time.

Northern Panhandle Assisted Housing has a waiting list of 39 months. That was only one of a dozen calls and Internet searches showed waiting lists for all reasonably priced apartments.

How about this for horrible news about the displacement of students, seniors and low wage workers, in favor of resort, trendy and overpriced nonsense in a town, where one can only enjoy peace and quiet for 6 or 7 months out of the year because the remainder of time, the place is overrun by strangers? And there isn't even that much property on the lake or with lake views?

So, I am recommending that if you find yourself needing reasonable rent in Coeur d' Alene, save your time and money move on; it isn't worth the time. Spokane has amazing medical care and many, many extended stay housing apartments, nicely furnished and within this man's budget of $900.

There are a few older motels with weekly rates, in Coeur a' Alene but the ones with kitchens almost never become available.

This is getting to look disgustingly like La Jolla, California, where housing is so high, people cut back on better food. As a retired accountant, I can tell you that a house payment or rent should not exceed 35% of your gross income and if you cannot mange that, move on.

So, I say to the greedy real estate knuckleheads....congratulations, you have done a good job. Hopefully, the rich people will have only themselves to talk to and they can kick the indigents, they have driven onto the streets. And they will probably have to serve themselves in restaurants and clean their own houses.

Poor dears.
Hi, welcome to Idaho in the past 15-20 years (with a brief moratorium during the recession).

Old 07-09-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
What would really help is to do what other cities/states have done. Before developers are allowed to completely overtake an area with expensive housing, they need to be required to build an equal number of senior and low income housing for workers. That is only the fair and right thing to do...be a part of the whole community, not just the upper, low percent or newcomers.

Whereas, I sometimes read on this forum that people fear government, I fear the exploitation of Idaho is coming from corporations, who see us only as consumers and may be encouraging us to focus on government as a detraction, so they can sneak in the back door and not be noticed, until it is too late.

Don't like regulation? me too but we need to boycott. I would like to see all the minimum wage employees in the hotels and restaurants in CDA just walk off their jobs in the middle of a busy summer weekend for one day, as a way to draw attention to the problem. Then,if something does not change, schedule another walkout and once people start losing money, they will get the message and they will do something.

Unfortunately, this isn't the product of greedy corporations or developers. This is purely a result of growth and demand. Period.

If enough people want to live in a certain area, and there's only so much room to grow, prices go up. When prices go up, and wages do not, people get displaced.

Your suggestions about senior and community housing are well placed, and one would wish our planners and city councils would have the foresight to address that, but at the same time, those projects aren't without their problems either. There will never be enough senior and low income housing to meet demand.

One of my good friends works for the state housing department, and he deals with this on a daily basis. They've transitioned from a waiting list (which would sometimes be over 2 years long) to a lottery system. But where does everyone else who doesn't get low income housing go?

Old 07-09-2015, 12:12 PM

29,253 posts, read 22,560,368 times
Quote:

What you are asking for boils down to government regulation on private enterprise. Trying to say it can happen without regulation is simple nonsense. Please remember that you are talking about the entire state, not just the microcosm of C d'A. If anything, the possibility of your idea is even more remote in the panhandle, as its the region of Idaho that has the weakest economy, is the smallest, and least connected to the rest of the state.

Is required construction of elderly and low income housing fair and right? Maybe. Maybe not. Cheap housing is… cheap. Since all construction is now expensive, corners will be cut, causing housing durability problems if such a requirement was ever to be realized, and durability would cause even more problems, as those living in such housing are the least able to take care of repair and maintenance themselves. More regulations would follow.

Required regulations by government, whether it's local, county, or state, runs deeply against the grain of all Idahoans. Do we need a higher minimum wage? Sure. And we will get it, in our own good time, and on our own good terms. It may not arrive in all corners of this state at the same time, and the wages may not be equal all over the state when a raise comes.

Free enterprise is always a 2-edged sword that cuts equally. For every success, there is a failure. That's the way it has always been here, and that's the way we have always wanted it, from our earliest beginnings.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:31 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,037,504 times
Mandated low cost housing via state regulation has been implemented in California (and perhaps elsewhere), and yet all the urban areas of California still have huge problems with affordable housing. I don't think these sorts of regulations will solve the problem.

Regarding minimum wages, there is only one true minimum wage regardless of any attempts to dictate otherwise: $0. If you make hiring unskilled labor uneconomical for businesses, they will not hire the employees. They will turn to automation, or choose not to grow their business, or locate their business elsewhere in a more favorable regulatory environment.

Dave

Old 07-09-2015, 01:25 PM

271 posts, read 392,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
What you are asking for boils down to government regulation on private enterprise. Trying to say it can happen without regulation is simple nonsense. Please remember that you are talking about the entire state, not just the microcosm of C d'A. If anything, the possibility of your idea is even more remote in the panhandle, as its the region of Idaho that has the weakest economy, is the smallest, and least connected to the rest of the state.

Is required construction of elderly and low income housing fair and right? Maybe. Maybe not. Cheap housing is… cheap. Since all construction is now expensive, corners will be cut, causing housing durability problems if such a requirement was ever to be realized, and durability would cause even more problems, as those living in such housing are the least able to take care of repair and maintenance themselves. More regulations would follow.

Required regulations by government, whether it's local, county, or state, runs deeply against the grain of all Idahoans. Do we need a higher minimum wage? Sure. And we will get it, in our own good time, and on our own good terms. It may not arrive in all corners of this state at the same time, and the wages may not be equal all over the state when a raise comes.

Free enterprise is always a 2-edged sword that cuts equally. For every success, there is a failure. That's the way it has always been here, and that's the way we have always wanted it, from our earliest beginnings.
VERY good post! It represents the Idaho way very well! Most Idahoans want minimal government regulation/oversight and I think government mandated low-income housing would just bring things down even further, way faster.

If there is a demand that can be profitable, then the need will be filled. No need to force something via government that maybe the area doesn't need.

Last edited by Disciple1975; 07-09-2015 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: Added quote.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple1975 View Post
VERY good post! It represents the Idaho way very well! Most Idahoans want minimal government regulation/oversight...
Not to nitpick, but I don't think this is entirely accurate.

Like anyone else, Idahoans want minimal government regulation / oversight for the issues they find important.

Idaho is not a libertarian state; we are (increasingly) a social conservative state. Idaho makes a lot of laws, rules, and regulations as to what people / businesses can or can't do that run afoul of the "minimal government regulation / oversight" mantra that a lot of people like to cheer.

Just an aside, but it's far more accurate.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

I don't see how, in this present environment of too big to fail, corporations should not be closely monitored and regulated, since they taking more than giving. And I don't think that it will serve Idaho citizens, in the short or long term to give those monstrosities the impression that Idaho is up for grabs...that unsafe oil tankers, or big box stores in the wrong places or predatory loans, etc are ok here because in Idaho doesn't like regulations...that was a good idea in a different time but now, it looks like an invitation to "just do anything you want here and we will roll over and let you."

We have people to protect and a precious environment to protect and there are fish and game laws, so what is the difference?

I am really grateful for all the wonderful intelligent consversations on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho