Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 06:17 PM

5 posts, read 10,789 times

Advertisements

So I have read and understand that most people in Idaho do not want outsiders moving in, in particular from ....dare i say....California. I cant speak for others but for my family and myself we promise to never act like Californians. So if you can get over the fact that we currently live in California and are considering moving to Idaho. Could you provide some information for us?
We live in a rural (closest store/business is 30 min from us), horse property, chickens etc. with a few acres in southern part of California.
Im wondering if there are areas of Idaho that we may mesh with better than others. Here is a little of what we are like: Protestant, gun totting, fishing, mostly organic eating, home birthing, non-vaccinating, homeschooling, Republican's. Yes, my hubby says Im weird,which is ok because I believe Im doing the best for my family. . As for employment my husband is looking to transfer to a state that actually prosecutes crimes, unlike California. He is a detective with our local county Sheriffs department. I am a retired paramedic and an RN who has chosen to stay home full time with the 3 kids under 10 yrs.

As my hubby says 'We are Idaho transgenders, we identify with Idaho, but we are stuck in California's body!'

If someone familiar with Idaho could list a few areas that we could research and visit I would appreciate it.
Thanks for your time and opinions....I think !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 07:25 PM

271 posts, read 390,476 times
You sound like you will thrive here culturally. Can you handle the climate (search this forum)? Just change your plates asap upon arriving here. The transgender metaphor did reek of Californian though, FWIW ��.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:11 PM

332 posts, read 483,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple1975 View Post
The transgender metaphor did reek of Californian though, FWIW ��.
Yeah, that caught my eye too. It's not really about WHERE you're from so much as it is the mindset you bring with you. If you truly wish to come here and become an Idahoan by accepting what is here already, you'll do just fine. Just don't bring California politics and social agendas with you.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:23 PM

212 posts, read 309,037 times
From my understanding of things, it would be very unlikely that your husband could transfer in a department here (NID) as a detective. He'd most likely have to start over as a patrol officer which can be a hard pill to swallow for some. Going back to shift work, nights, weekends, holidays.... It's hard. But then again no more call-outs at 3 am. I reckon there are trade-offs

Old 07-12-2015, 09:28 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,969,781 times
Well played.... Sucking up to your new state.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:51 PM

LOL! Yes the 'transgender' comment was completely sarcastic and meant to be a joke on Californian's. Gosh now I sound so mean towards Californian's.
As far as the climate goes we are planning on visiting during the winter along with the fall time, not sure that will be enough to really tell if we can handle it or not. We live at 4000 ft elevation so we get snow well, a few inches does that count? LOL

Old 07-12-2015, 10:03 PM

Hmm Sydney123 ...you catch on quickly!

Publius4 I see you seem to understand his ....hesitation. I really think it would have to get pretty bad here, which it has with Prop 47 passing we have chatted about the District Attorney Office as a possibility. Anything you would like to add regarding this please do.

aiden_is WE are so fed up with Ca politics and agenda.....its actually top reason for moving. Junk politics is every where and the world isn't perfect, but we don't want to be in the ...epicenter of it anymore.
Thank you for all the responses.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:47 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,773,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2rn2mom View Post
As far as the climate goes we are planning on visiting during the winter along with the fall time, not sure that will be enough to really tell if we can handle it or not. We live at 4000 ft elevation so we get snow well, a few inches does that count? LOL
Sounds like you're somewhere near the Tehachapi Valley. Nice area. As to visiting NID in the Autumn or early Winter, the past two years I have spent some time in the CdA area in early December and the western drought has resulted in hardly any winter the past couple years, at least in early winter. This next winter, if El Niño persists through the summer, maybe real winter will return. The times I drove with ice on the roads wasn't a problem. You just have to go slower and leave extra room between you and the car in front of you. AWD or 4WD is highly recommended in situations like that.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:36 AM

212 posts, read 309,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2rn2mom View Post

Publius4 I see you seem to understand his ....hesitation. I really think it would have to get pretty bad here, which it has with Prop 47 passing we have chatted about the District Attorney Office as a possibility. Anything you would like to add regarding this please do
Just FYI - the DA's Office is just called the county prosecutor here. Anyway, an investigator job with the DA would be a good gig but those jobs are hard to find up here in NID. I recommend going to the state of Idaho website and signing up for state LE job posting notifications. There are several state investigator positions (usually fraud) that are posted each quarter but they are all down south (Boise) and NEVER up north.

Do you have a preference yet for a particular region of Idaho?

Old 07-13-2015, 02:58 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,841,788 times
Northern Idaho won't have much in way of job openings. But several LEO's who come up here needing work go to Spokane for work: https://www.governmentjobs.com/caree...fficer-lateral

Politically speaking, I think you'd like the northern panhandle. While you'll find Bonner and Boundary counties to be much more solidly "red" than Kootenai County, even that county is overwhelmingly "red".

The California thing has some truth to it, and it also tongue-in-cheek. It's social death up here to say "Well I'm from California, and we did it better down there" (applied to any structure of any event, organization, sport, etc). We changed our license plates on our first trip up to our new property not because we feared problems, but because we wanted people to get to know us on our terms, not just have us be defined on where we came from.

But northern Idaho certainly checks all the boxes in your general requirements and self-assessment, barring good employment. And quite frankly, that's a huge obstacle. Most of us in law enforcement up here are retired (me included).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: