Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 02:34 AM

16 posts, read 30,132 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. So I have fallen in love with Northern Idaho based on all my property hunting online, and time spent speaking with Idahoans. It really is remarkably beautiful.

But of course, I actually need to spend some time there before I relocate I am planning on taking a 2 week vacation there next year and spend our time split between doing "tourist activities" and "living like a local." We also will be working with a realtor and looking at land and homes.

I will be driving from Ohio so, we do not want to go in the winter, and since we will be spending a lot of time outdoors, comfortable weather is desired. For us, comfy weather is in the 70's or low 80's and not too humid.

We will be spending time around the Coeur D Alene and Sandpoint areas, so if you could recommend some activities as well that would be swell. I am not picky, I like outdoor and indoor activities. We are both 27 years old.

I really want to go at a time that really show cases the beauty of Idaho (so maybe I can bring back video and pictures to convince some of my family members to move as well )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 04:53 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzii View Post
Hello everyone. So I have fallen in love with Northern Idaho based on all my property hunting online, and time spent speaking with Idahoans. It really is remarkably beautiful.

But of course, I actually need to spend some time there before I relocate I am planning on taking a 2 week vacation there next year and spend our time split between doing "tourist activities" and "living like a local." We also will be working with a realtor and looking at land and homes.

I will be driving from Ohio so, we do not want to go in the winter, and since we will be spending a lot of time outdoors, comfortable weather is desired. For us, comfy weather is in the 70's or low 80's and not too humid.

We will be spending time around the Coeur D Alene and Sandpoint areas, so if you could recommend some activities as well that would be swell. I am not picky, I like outdoor and indoor activities. We are both 27 years old.

I really want to go at a time that really show cases the beauty of Idaho (so maybe I can bring back video and pictures to convince some of my family members to move as well )
Fall is always a good time of the year around Idaho. Kids are back in school and you will see the towns on a normal scale. Plus, most of Idaho is full of color, the temps are cool. Just remember when thinking of how to dress in Idaho, layers do real well. Good luck on your visit.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:16 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,774,697 times
The past two years, I have visited in the first two weeks of December. Was hoping to 'experience winter'. In both cases, it was a bust. One year had snow piles pushed up in remote corners of parking lots and the other year had a minimal amount of ice. I guess 'real' winter comes later in the calendar. Hardly needed anything more than a lightweight jacket.

With the likely persistent and strengthening El Niño, which is calculated to be a pretty intense one, all weather bets are off. In the Pacific Northwest, it could be a very mild and dry winter this year. Or, revert back to 'normal'.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:42 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,677,822 times
I'd say July--summer at its best, long twilight, everything is fresh and green. We also usually love August, but this year we've had one heat wave after another. 3 days in a row with temps around 100!

2 weeks will be just enough to determine whether NID lives up to your inner vision. But if you can, you should plan on several visits at different times of the year.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:06 PM

271 posts, read 390,529 times
Don't fool yourself. Come in the worst part of the winter and decide if you can handle up to 6 months of it.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:12 PM

117 posts, read 92,731 times
I do like to visit especially in summer not in winter.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:14 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,677,822 times
But if the OP lives in Ohio, she knows all about harsh winters! She wants to be wooed by the beauty of Idaho, and have a great vacation with awesome pics to take home, and memories of 75 degree days and low humidity. Right? So, July!

Otherwise, you're right, of course. The "worst" should not be ignored.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:34 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,774,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
But if the OP lives in Ohio, she knows all about harsh winters! She wants to be wooed by the beauty of Idaho, and have a great vacation with awesome pics to take home, and memories of 75 degree days and low humidity. Right? So, July!

Otherwise, you're right, of course. The "worst" should not be ignored.
This is 'off topic', but related.

Among Idaho retirees, how many would you guess are 'snow birds' who escape the worst of the winter in the southern tier states?

Old 08-14-2015, 12:45 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Come in the last couple of weeks of September into the first couple of weeks of October. The nights will be cool, so bring a warm sweater or jacket.
All the scenery will be dry by then, but it's my favorite time of the year by far here.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:42 AM

16 posts, read 30,132 times
Thanks for the replies!

Yes being from Ohio, I am no stranger to harsh snowy winters. The past few have been particularly brutal I like winter as well, and winter activities, but for my first trip there, being unfamiliar with the terrain, roads, etc....and my poor mazda 3 (I will get a truck before moving to Idaho! My mazda can handle snow on flat roads which is primarily what central Ohio is, but I do not think it would handle steeps inclines and grades well) I think it would be best to avoid winter for the first trip.

So July/August/September/October then? I do love the fall in Ohio, and I am sure it will be even more beautiful in Idaho. I'll consult with my fiance and see if he prefers a summer or fall trip

And yes, I do plan on vacationing during all 4 seasons, but this first trip will likely be the longest of them.

Thanks again everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho