Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 07:02 AM

8 posts, read 23,575 times

Advertisements

I'm a military wife and husband is heading BACK to Iraq for another long year. I don't work nor do we have kids to restrict places in which to lay my hat for this adventure. Sadly the time spent away from my spouse these past 4 years - have only seen him maybe 4 months out of those long years, due to the war has taken a huge toll on my 20 year marriage. Not to belabor personal trivialities, he told me this past weekend he wants out of the marriage and has proceeded in the separation process. Trust me, it makes no sense, but none the less it provides an opportunity for me to go anywhere in part two of my life. Career wise, I haven't worked in many - many years and will need to start from square one and re-educate myself and find my place. As far as my interest I like cool weather, coastal areas, mountain ranges. Also, enjoy snow sports; snowboard - snow-kiting and a broad range of outdoor activities. Plus my dog needs a lot of outside time in which to burn her energy. Note she is a pit-bull breed, so I'm aware of certain areas and the breed specific legislature that exist within it's confines.

Thoughts so far: ID: Boise <?>. CO: Ft Collins, Durango Bolder, outside of Denver limits. UT: Salt Lake City area due to closeness to winter play. Lastly I'm also looking at CA: San-Luis-Obispo area or northern coastal regions. If I could swing it I'd make my way back to England but with the exchange rate as is and their economy flatter than a bad hair day it's not feasible. I've thought about NZ and even NW Canada to relocate.

Cost of living is an issue, and for the next 3 years my support will consist of a rent cap of 1k/month. I've traveled all over the world and find that I don't desire the limited culture extremities of many smaller towns but yet I'm not yet driven to those areas that have more than enough affluent culture wealth in its faces and places for artificial mentalities.

Lots of personal information in this thread, I hope it affords a clear idea where I'm at and what I'm seeking. I would welcome all suggestions to areas within your state and any others that come to mind. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2006, 09:25 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,189,269 times
Default Where To Go!!

Jodanna,
I am so sorry for the loss of your marriage. This seems to be happening too many of our military families. This is hard on ones watching from the side and please know that many Americans pray for the soldiers away at war and for their families to be strong while at home waiting for their return.

Starting over after 20 years I have been married that long and I would feel so alone but, all you can do now that the decision has been made is be the strong women that your husband fell in love with and move on. I am 2 hrs north of Boise in a small town of about 2500 we have a new resort you can go online and find it its Tamarack Resort. There are all kinds of jobs here right now and if you like the snow then this is a great place to live.

You might want to go online and see the housing prices there are some rentals and you would be looking at around $800.00-$2000.00 for a place. Our local paper runs a lot of rentals and is mostly full of homes for sale. We are a quite little town with great opportunity.

Hp[e this helps if you get to Boise you might drive a little further into the mountains and see what we are like. I wish you the best of luck keep your head high. God Bless

Old 11-14-2006, 11:26 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodanna View Post
Thoughts so far: ID: Boise <?>. CO: Ft Collins, Durango Bolder, outside of Denver limits. UT: Salt Lake City area due to closeness to winter play. Lastly I'm also looking at CA: San-Luis-Obispo area or northern coastal regions. If I could swing it I'd make my way back to England but with the exchange rate as is and their economy flatter than a bad hair day it's not feasible. I've thought about NZ and even NW Canada to relocate.

Just a thought but have you considered Ireland? Don't know how nuch daily life would be like England but from what I read the economy is booming.

I was just looking at a site this AM that matches helpers with the owners of mostly farms who need help. You basically volunteer varying amounts of labor in exchange for room & board. Seems like a good way to get to know an area and its people if you don't have a lot of debt or family responsibilities.

Although I'd like to move from NJ to ID when I sell my house I'm hoping to do a farm stay in Italy or Spain for a month or two.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:31 PM

218 posts, read 1,487,181 times
You have my prayers and my hope for your future (and your spunky pet).
You're in a tight spot, and I admire your for looking ahead and making it happen!

Probably already have a great list of options made, so forgive me if I am redundant: May I suggest you look seriously into community colleges for sprucing up your resume and educational skills? Also, many companies offer tuition reimbursement programs, so you might look at an entry-level job with potential for such fringe benefit possibilities.

Cost of living in CA is very high! Rent for a little place is not uncommon to be over $2000/mo - A friend of mine just left there for TN, and affordability.
Can't say about your other regions mentioned in your note. The only part of Idaho I really know is the north/panhandle region, which is pretty rural, unless you end up around the Coeur d' Alene area, and then the rent might get a bit pricey - but there could be a few bargains, now that the bubble seems to have burst a little in the real estate world. Wish I had more for you.
Good luck. Hang in there! You are making positive strides in researching your possible next 'hometown' - that's 80% of the battle! Kudos!

Old 11-15-2006, 03:10 AM

393 posts, read 1,881,303 times
Default Farmers helper?

Burdell can u put the link for the farmers helpers on this forum or private message it to me, I could do that.......LOL I wonder if they will pay for moving expenses also? LOL
Thanks

Old 11-15-2006, 05:19 AM

480 posts, read 2,829,486 times
Your husband goes to IRAQ with the possibility of getting his head shot off, and you're back home not working... Is there a reason for that?

Old 11-15-2006, 06:08 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
Your husband goes to IRAQ with the possibility of getting his head shot off, and you're back home not working... Is there a reason for that?
When you don't know the dynamics of the family, do you really have room to judge? Afterall, even though it's 2006 there are still families that prefer the mother to stay at home and raise the kids, especially when there's a parent who works out and away from the home.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:16 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygal View Post
Burdell can u put the link for the farmers helpers on this forum or private message it to me, I could do that.......LOL I wonder if they will pay for moving expenses also? LOL
Thanks

Yeah, I guess it's OK as it's info and no commercial interest.

Look at: helpx.net

Some of it sounds pretty interesting as a way of seeing how 'real' people live in an area versus doing the usual tourist things.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:33 AM

480 posts, read 2,829,486 times
The post states there are no children. It also states that she is returning to work after many years of not working. Was there a medical issue all those years that prevented her from working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
When you don't know the dynamics of the family, do you really have room to judge? Afterall, even though it's 2006 there are still families that prefer the mother to stay at home and raise the kids, especially when there's a parent who works out and away from the home.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:58 AM

318 posts, read 1,317,306 times
Couples that have been married 20 plus years often live a more traditional lifestyle. If that works for them...who are we to say it is or isn't okay. Your family dynamics are different from theirs. Doesn't make yours right and theirs wrong.

My mom worked in the 60's when most moms didn't. My father felt it was a reflection on his ability to take care of his family. He didn't want her to work. She liked working and having her own money. Traditional ideas and values.

Izzy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho