Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 10:17 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times

Advertisements

I just came in from taking the dogs for a walk. Got a new led headlamp yesterday after running into some moose on our property the other night. Had the 9mm on be because, well, I always do. Anyway, head outside-it's foggy, the headlamp mostly lighting up the fog, visibility sucks. Dogs start making a ruckus a little in front of me. I can see their eyes glowing in the dark...as well as a pair of eyes glowing about 8 feet in the air...heading my way! Yelled at the sob, she didn't come closer, but couldn't drive her off either. Had the 9mm out, but didn't want to waste $1 a round ammo as a noise maker. Went inside, grabbed the .22 pistol, headed back out and put a few rounds in the ground near her. Finally did the trick, she got. Her and her yearling have been hanging around for several days-nearly hit her with the bike yesterday morning. I seriously like seeing wildlife, including moose, but enough is enough. For both our safety I hope they moved along. Love Idaho, beats 2 legged critters any time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 11:20 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Glad your dogs (and you!) are safe. But I've heard that moose eyes don't glow--?

Old 11-10-2016, 11:53 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Glad your dogs (and you!) are safe. But I've heard that moose eyes don't glow--?
They do, but, from what I saw, not nearly as brightly as deer, or dogs. More faint dots than the bright glow of a deer's eyes.

Old 11-11-2016, 01:44 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,829,741 times
A 9mm would have certainly been a fancy noise maker and nothing else against a large animal like a moose. Moose are dangerous and unpredictable.. You are lucky you are not hurt.. Seriously, how can a person who lives among dangerous wildlife not have a large caliber rifle or shotgun available at a moment's notice.. If nothing else, you can have a 44 mag handy for the moose. I keep my 44 mag with me at all times in the forest and if I am in bear/moose country I have that 44 ready..

BTW.. I had a run-in with a momma moose and her baby while hiking in Glacier National Park and it was not a fun situation. I was hiking with a bunch of guys from Minnesota who are all to terrified and paranoid of moose. Moose have killed I think more people in Minnesota than bears. They are the most dangerous land animals around here and you should never underestimate them. Unlike bears, their behavior is very hard to predict and they can attack with the least indication and provocation.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:03 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,011,522 times
We've seen a couple moose around our place in Sagle in the past few weeks. All from a safe distance so far, but it does make you think. What's been somewhat surprising is how close to the house they get. They certainly don't seem to have any fear!

I was talking to a retired police officer friend who has had quite a few moose hanging around his place in Athol. He is planning to get some bean bag rounds for his 12 GA, which he hopes will be a way to encourage the moose to move on without causing them any injury. Sounded like an alternative to consider.

Dave

Old 11-11-2016, 09:40 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,281,874 times
Glowing eyes, 8 ft tall...
I'm going with Sasquash.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:45 PM

69 posts, read 69,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I just came in from taking the dogs for a walk. Got a new led headlamp yesterday after running into some moose on our property the other night. Had the 9mm on be because, well, I always do. Anyway, head outside-it's foggy, the headlamp mostly lighting up the fog, visibility sucks. Dogs start making a ruckus a little in front of me. I can see their eyes glowing in the dark...as well as a pair of eyes glowing about 8 feet in the air...heading my way! Yelled at the sob, she didn't come closer, but couldn't drive her off either. Had the 9mm out, but didn't want to waste $1 a round ammo as a noise maker. Went inside, grabbed the .22 pistol, headed back out and put a few rounds in the ground near her. Finally did the trick, she got. Her and her yearling have been hanging around for several days-nearly hit her with the bike yesterday morning. I seriously like seeing wildlife, including moose, but enough is enough. For both our safety I hope they moved along. Love Idaho, beats 2 legged critters any time.

This is a question/situation that I've been pondering. I have a black lab and we hike 3-5 miles most every day here on the East Coast. We're fortunate to have some great "parks" locally with lakes, ponds and mountains to explore. The only risk to us is deer ticks and yes I've had lyme disease. Even dogs vaccinated against lyme can get it. No need to "carry" and it is illegal here on the east coast to do so. We only encounter deer, squirrels & beaver.

What would you recommend to someone who wants to get out and explore NI with their dog who is 99% off leash, I only leash up if I find someone who is leery of a goofy well behaved lab. I will be not far from you in the Edgemere area, National Forest across the road, Long Mountain and Hoo Doo Mt, creek and lake to explore. My dog wears a safety vest for visibility.

What do most people do? Carry a 9mm (got one)? Bear spray? Does bear spray work on moose? How best to keep a dog safe? Do people carry/wear bear bells? Should a dog wear one?

I'd like to hear what you all recommend.

How are the ticks in NI! They've been terrible here lately! I've had 2 tick bites in the past 3 weeks.

I like biking too! That's another situation to ponder.

Sorry I rambled on! I was pondering the same situation you experienced and what to do just this morning

Be Safe!

Old 11-11-2016, 01:29 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,829,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker6 View Post
No need to "carry" and it is illegal here on the east coast to do so. We only encounter deer, squirrels & beaver.
WRONG! In fact, outside of a few states, New Jersey, Maryland, Connecticut, you can carry a firearm for self-defense on the "East Coast", even in most of the very liberal Northeast, you are allowed to carry a firearm for self-defense. That would even include, New York (if you are a resident of the state).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker6 View Post
What do most people do? Carry a 9mm (got one)? Bear spray? Does bear spray work on moose? How best to keep a dog safe? Do people carry/wear bear bells? Should a dog wear one?
Bear spray on a moose can be effective, but it is not nearly as effective as on a bear and a charging and mad moose with 50mph head wind may leave you in dire straits..

A 9mm would be good if you want to put yourself out of your own misery after being stomped silly by the moose and needing to euthanize yourself. Anything less than a 44 magnum on any moose is a very risky proposition. They are very large, fast and agile animals and you better have a good quality lead or at very least JSP round loaded, as penetrating the hide/bone on an animal that size is not always easy.

Even a 44 magnum is no guarantee you will take a big mean bull moose down when its charging you. Ideally, you would want a high caliber rifle or a shotgun loaded with 12 ga slugs..

Last edited by RotseCherut; 11-11-2016 at 01:39 PM..

Old 11-11-2016, 02:21 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,061 times
The biggest concern for dogs off leash in the forest is becoming ensnared in traps. I see those stories in the paper. I often come across moose on a dog walk (leashed) and we either turn around or give the moose wide berth with no problems. Carrying a weapon is a given since it is IDAHO after all!

Old 11-11-2016, 04:26 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
David Thompson, Canada's Lewis & Clark (except he was alone and went twice as far), encountered every animal in the west. The only one he feared was "the mitey moose-deere" according to his journals.

I was once run up a sapling aspen by a yearling cow, along with a buddy of mine. She kept us up the tree all afternoon, and we were fortunate it was there, and strong enough to hold us both, even though it was only barely strong enough, and she wasn't infuriated, just irritated. if she had been really mad at us, she could have taken the tree down, but she never gave it her all.

Once angry, moose prefer a fight. They are fast, very heavy and strong, and are mean as rattlesnake whiskey. They are also persistent and have been known to stalk a person for days, just like a predator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho