Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 10:18 AM

212 posts, read 308,972 times

Advertisements

I used to pronounce Dufort the same way you did in the video. Over the last few months I've heard several locals pronounce it "Dufert".

There's also a small grocery in Oldtown where 41 and 2 merge. I can't think of the name. It's no bigger than Mitchel's though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 11:53 AM

7,380 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Absolutely "dufert"!

Old 09-18-2015, 01:42 PM

271 posts, read 390,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Absolutely "dufert"!
More like "Dooofert"

Old 09-18-2015, 08:04 PM

199 posts, read 316,061 times
I figured I'd get something wrong in the vid. I'm learning some things are not as they appear in Idaho. I had to look up Pend Oreille (pronounced: pond-ə-ray) to get the correct pronunciation when I first started looking in the area, looks like it should be pronounced as Pend Oreally. Oh well live and learn, and I'm more than willing to learn.

Closed on the house today and it is all paid for.....WooHooo, we are officially Idaho property owners, and only thing I have any plans on changing is stuff on my property and even that would be minimal , like Idaho just the way it is. Soon Ca. will only be a memory from the past.

In my life I have lived in many places, born in Az., lived in Ca. top to bottom, lived in Conn, Mass and RI. Lived in the desert, the coast, high in the mountains, flat woodlands and my favorite has always been the mountains. Figured where I currently live would be the last place I would live but 20+ years later Idaho won me over, goodbye El Dorado National Forest and Hello Kaniksu National Forest.

Thanks to everyone who posts on the Idaho forum, I've learned a lot and will continue to learn about Idaho and it's past history.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:45 PM

7,380 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra don View Post
I figured I'd get something wrong in the vid. I'm learning some things are not as they appear in Idaho. I had to look up Pend Oreille (pronounced: pond-ə-ray) to get the correct pronunciation when I first started looking in the area, looks like it should be pronounced as Pend Oreally. Oh well live and learn, and I'm more than willing to learn.

Closed on the house today and it is all paid for.....WooHooo, we are officially Idaho property owners, and only thing I have any plans on changing is stuff on my property and even that would be minimal , like Idaho just the way it is. Soon Ca. will only be a memory from the past.

In my life I have lived in many places, born in Az., lived in Ca. top to bottom, lived in Conn, Mass and RI. Lived in the desert, the coast, high in the mountains, flat woodlands and my favorite has always been the mountains. Figured where I currently live would be the last place I would live but 20+ years later Idaho won me over, goodbye El Dorado National Forest and Hello Kaniksu National Forest.

Thanks to everyone who posts on the Idaho forum, I've learned a lot and will continue to learn about Idaho and it's past history.
A great day! And all paid for, too! That's wonderful.

Pend Oreille, Coeur d'Alene, all memories of a colorful past involving French trappers and local Indian tribes. I love Idaho history. I love CA history, too--just not so much the recent part...

About shopping: You'll love Yoke's in Ponderay, and Super 1 Foods across from Safeway, a few streets over. And there's a big new natural foods supermarket over by Dub's. When we're in CF we also go to Sandpoint to stock up, about once or twice a week. I can see us going to CdA or Spokane once a month when we get settled. And then we'll complain about having to go to the Big City!

Old 09-19-2015, 10:04 AM

69 posts, read 69,773 times
Awesome video and congratulations to you Sierra Don!

I have a cabin in the Hoo Doo Valley between Priest River & Spirit Lake. Your video crossing the Pend Oreille River and along Dufort is making me miss Idaho even more than I do now. We're a year and a half away from making Idaho our new home from the East Coast.

Good Luck to you and keep posting. I do appreciate all that I learn from this forum!

Thanx

Old 09-19-2015, 10:17 AM

212 posts, read 308,972 times
[quote=Clark Fork Fantast;41254440][And there's a big new natural foods supermarket over by Dub's./[quote]

That's WinterRidge. It's a much smaller version of Pilgrim's Market but they still get the job done. I spent some time talking to the butcher and he seems real switched-on about providing non-conventional, healthy meat.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:47 PM

235 posts, read 375,613 times
I am so incredibly happy for you, Sierra Don. You are going to have so much fun with your new home.

As a side note, I just ordered "Legendary Lake Pend Oreille" for hubby for Christmas. I think he's gonna love it. He's really interested in the history of North Idaho, like lots of folks on the forum.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:30 PM

199 posts, read 316,061 times
Thanks everyone for watching my video and glad ya'll liked it. Also thanks for information of some of the local stores and such, will have to check them out.

Native Idahoan, thanks for the pointing in the direction of the book "Legendary Lake Pend Oreille", I have added it to my Amazon wish list to purchase at a later date, looks interesting.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend....

-Don

Old 09-20-2015, 05:15 PM

551 posts, read 804,202 times
Congrats! That's a very nice place you found. Thanks for posting the great video. Hope you get to move to your new house very soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: