Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 01:13 PM

20 posts, read 22,902 times

Advertisements

What advice/suggestions/must haves would you give to people that have never lived in the snow???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 01:47 PM

181 posts, read 270,538 times
Default Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Nitti View Post
What advice/suggestions/must haves would you give to people that have never lived in the snow???
If the snow is yellow,don't eat it.

A least a snow blower.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:12 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
If you ignore it, it will go away.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:02 PM

6,355 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Have an "emergency kit" in the trunk of your car. To include at the minimum a blanket, food, water, folding camp shovel, waterproof or water resistant gloves, a strong/powerful flashlight with good batteries, and a knit cap. An extra jacket is probably wise also, down with a hood is preferred. Drive slower than normal and along with giving extra room between you and the car ahead, always be cognizant of an "out". You can't be in a hurry. If your car has an external thermometer display, closely watch the temperature; and drive appropriately. Keep the gas tank more than half-way full, but don't run the engine if you get stuck somewhere. Watch for downed trees, (learned this one the hard way while driving on the 97 south of the freeway at 1:30 in the morning this past December). Not a bad idea to let someone know where you're headed. Keep out of the wind.

Others will have more suggestions. The above is what I do. Ice is "fun", but I haven't had any problems getting around. Sux that I can't ride my bike, but then it cross-country ski time.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:55 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Have an "emergency kit" in the trunk of your car. To include at the minimum a blanket, food, water, folding camp shovel, waterproof or water resistant gloves, a strong/powerful flashlight with good batteries, and a knit cap. An extra jacket is probably wise also, down with a hood is preferred. Drive slower than normal and along with giving extra room between you and the car ahead, always be cognizant of an "out". You can't be in a hurry. If your car has an external thermometer display, closely watch the temperature; and drive appropriately. Keep the gas tank more than half-way full, but don't run the engine if you get stuck somewhere. Watch for downed trees, (learned this one the hard way while driving on the 97 south of the freeway at 1:30 in the morning this past December). Not a bad idea to let someone know where you're headed. Keep out of the wind.

Others will have more suggestions. The above is what I do. Ice is "fun", but I haven't had any problems getting around. Sux that I can't ride my bike, but then it cross-country ski time.
That's all real good travel info.
For general wear, it's better to layer than buy a single very warm coat if you will be going in and outdoors all day. Forget fashion and buy good insulated winter boots, gloves and a muffler and/or a cap and you'll be fine.
Winter is all just a matter of common sense. Just like summer, except in reverse.

If you try to get used to being just a tad cold all the time, you'll soon find yourself uncomfortable when you're too hot.

You'll know you're good when if you are nicked a little, your blood will ooze, not flow.

Don't pat the buffalo, and don't hit a cow at night on the highway; they have the right of way here. The sagebrush is free- pick all you want.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post

Thank you so much! This is great information.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
That's all real good travel info.
For general wear, it's better to layer than buy a single very warm coat if you will be going in and outdoors all day. Forget fashion and buy good insulated winter boots, gloves and a muffler and/or a cap and you'll be fine.
Winter is all just a matter of common sense. Just like summer, except in reverse.

If you try to get used to being just a tad cold all the time, you'll soon find yourself uncomfortable when you're too hot.

You'll know you're good when if you are nicked a little, your blood will ooze, not flow.

Don't pat the buffalo, and don't hit a cow at night on the highway; they have the right of way here. The sagebrush is free- pick all you want.

Great information! Thank you so much. Hit a cow at night?? Wow, I have so much to learn lol. Those are things I would have never thought about, so I really appreciate that information.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:20 PM

6,355 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Oops. Forgot to mention to keep tire chains in the trunk. I always carry them in winter, however I've never had the need to use them. Got stuck once, but it was my own damn fault. I had no business being on a steep, snow covered one-lane half asphalt/half dirt road on South Pass in Wyoming.

Thank goodness for AWD, backing up and going 'full gas' to get through the deeper snow. Later that day, after I dropped off the mountain, I stopped at WalMart to pick up a Coleman folding camp shovel. It would have been so easy to just shovel a little bit of snow off the road and then go on my way.

Yes. There are free range cattle pretty much 'everywhere' away from urban areas. Gotta pay attention. And, (a minor nit-pick that personally drives me nuts), don't pet the "bison". We don't have 'buffalo' around here, unless it is in a zoo. The genus/species of those big, lumbering beasts is "Bison bison". However, I will accept 'American buffalo', as 'Bison bison' are sometimes called.

These majestic bovines passed me one day when I was riding my bike. (During the transition season between winter and spring, Yellowstone is open to bicycles before the park is open for cars/trucks.) When I saw them coming toward me, around a curve, I went to the low side of the curve and put the bicycle between me and them, (as if that would have protected me). I just waited patiently while they passed before continuing on my ride.

Last edited by volosong; 04-20-2016 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: misspelled word

Old 04-21-2016, 08:51 AM

356 posts, read 520,423 times
Your post is a bit broad, OP. What type of advice are you looking for? I agree with the posters above who have answered your question in the context of traveling during winter weather. As for day-to-day stuff, that's a bit dependent on where you'll be. For example, my advice would be somewhat different for someone planning to live in town vs. someone planning to live on acreage. Could you narrow down a bit what it is you're looking for?

Old 04-21-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionFamily View Post
Your post is a bit broad, OP. What type of advice are you looking for? I agree with the posters above who have answered your question in the context of traveling during winter weather. As for day-to-day stuff, that's a bit dependent on where you'll be. For example, my advice would be somewhat different for someone planning to live in town vs. someone planning to live on acreage. Could you narrow down a bit what it is you're looking for?

I should have been more specific. I apologize for the vagueness of the post My family (me, my husband and our 3 small boys) is moving to the CDA area in August. While we have been to the snow numerous times for vacation and such, we have never actually lived in the snow, so I just want to get some advice and/or suggestions so that we can prepare ourselves when we get up there. Our house is on almost 7 acres in the Cougar Gulch area of CDA. I hope that helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho