Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2008, 01:21 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,213,144 times

Advertisements

Idaho continues to have one of the lowest if not the lowest unemployment rate in the country.

States with lowest unemployment rates in December 2007, MLR: The Editor's Desk

Also Idaho, tied for 1st place in the country for the best place to find a job.

MSN Careers - Best States for Jobs - Career Advice Article
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 03:39 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,095,500 times
Those are interesting articles.

It surely isn't the case in my experience, or of many of those that post here. It seems extremely tough to find a job (at least in the Boise area) that isn't a low-paying service sector job (which seems to constitute most of the jobs in the area). I have relatives that spent almost 5 month out of work because they weren't able to find anything in their field (admin assistants) - many places they've applied had between 75-200 applications for those positions.

Also, many of our largest companies and industries are laying off (Micron, construction, real estate), and the wages here are still extremely low.

What about you experience (personally or with friends/family/people you know), Torrie?

I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud here, but we've all posted in threads for those looking for jobs, and with the same refrain - "you usually have to know someone to get in."

Old 02-19-2008, 03:45 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,843,476 times
I know the unemployment rate is very low around here. And if you pay under $10-12/hr you're just not going to find anyone....forget offering min wage for anyone over 18...we're going to be hiring someone soon, and it will probably cost me $12+/hr, just for a reliable clerical person...and this is fairly entry level. For employers in Bonner County, it's a point of frustration that it's a small labor pool to expand your business...

Old 02-19-2008, 04:52 PM

210 posts, read 947,360 times
In East Idaho wages are still low an d service sector jobs the norm, but wages are rising as we've have <3% unemployment and people are having to pay more to recruit and retain help. There are a small number of jobs for professionals, but those are expanding as well. I can tell you it is hard to hire anyone qualified so I'd say if you can't find a job on the low end you are being too picky. High end jobs are always a different story.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:25 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,021,882 times
Default It's the same in AZ, Sage

Everyone complains that there are no jobs in this area (Prescott) too, and yet the Sheriff's Office cannot find qualified people...for patrol or detention folks. The starting pay for Detention is $18/hr and well over $20/hr for patyrol with full benefits and you need nothing but a GED...the problem is in finding young folks who can pass the background tests. Too many drugs and too many criminal actrivities. They complain they cannot find work in the area, but for anyone with a willingness to work and no huge drug history there are some very good jobs. It's just finding qualified people. It is the same in Idaho, so I am told.

Then...our local contractors, who pay good wages, complain that they hire young men and work for a week or two and then just don't show up. It's rather a sad sign of the times, I suppose. But I think it is a nationwide problem, really.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
Those are interesting articles.

It surely isn't the case in my experience, or of many of those that post here. It seems extremely tough to find a job (at least in the Boise area) that isn't a low-paying service sector job (which seems to constitute most of the jobs in the area). I have relatives that spent almost 5 month out of work because they weren't able to find anything in their field (admin assistants) - many places they've applied had between 75-200 applications for those positions.

Also, many of our largest companies and industries are laying off (Micron, construction, real estate), and the wages here are still extremely low.

What about you experience (personally or with friends/family/people you know), Torrie?

I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud here, but we've all posted in threads for those looking for jobs, and with the same refrain - "you usually have to know someone to get in."
Currently I have no friends who are unemployed(I have no family in the area)an honestly I can think of only one person a former client I know of who has had difficulty finding a job, and that person is new to the area and is looking in a specified job field with time restrictions, so that narrows opportunities which could be why they're having difficulties. Most of the out of state clients I work with have found jobs before moving here, so I know there are jobs out there. Of course they typically are employed because job=ability to buy a house.

Recently I posted an article from the Idaho Statesman on the Boise forum about tech companies in which it stated that these companies were "desperate" for workers. This is just one example of jobs available in our area. The article stated that they had more than 300 software jobs open right now, but they were having trouble filling them because they couldn't find enough people with computer skills.

If it were me looking for a job I would check out the largest employers of the area I was considering to move to. Micron isn't the only employer in Boise and as we found out, the layoff of 1,000 people didn't seem to make a dent in our economy. Apparently not too many people have been laid off as you suggest, otherwise our unemploymnet rate would be considerably higher. Most likley those who have been laid off have all ready found jobs and have reabsorbed back into the work system. According to the links I posted on this thread, Transportation, Trade and Utilities are the top industries for our state. So when looking for a job, those might be good categories to seek out.

Here's the current work trends for Idaho for 2008. You might have your friends/family look at this for ideas or go onto the Idaho Labor Departments website and surf around- there's a ton of information on there.

http://labor.idaho.gov/lmi/pubs/StateofIdahoProfile.pdf

Unfortunately as much as you dislike growth, that's what helps bring more jobs. I think the best thing anyone can do who's just entering the job market is to be as flexible as possible. Meaning you need to be well rounded not just trained in one field. The more job experiences you have the better you can adapt if your industry changes. I don't know what your friends/family members got their degrees in, but maybe it's not an industry that is in demand in our area? Because Idaho is such a popular place to move, my guess would be that the one's getting hired are the one's with the most experience. It might be better to look outside of the area where there are more opportunities for people just starting their careers and then comeback when you have more experience, otherwise try and get into a different industry where you know there's a demand for workers in the area you want to live- like tech companies.

Just because some people on the forum are having difficulties finding jobs doesn't mean the whole state is, but I think you know that. If you read one of the articles I posted it specifically says: unemployment rate = the ratio of job seekers to the working population. Meaning the lower the percentage rate the fewer people having difficulties finding work. The article further states that you want to look in the states that have a lower unemployment rate than the national average and Idaho is currently and has been consistently below the national average.

I don't know what to tell you, but there are jobs here, otherwise people wouldn't be moving to Idaho.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:15 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,446,156 times
Post Idaho is Growing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post

I don't know what to tell you, but there are jobs here, otherwise people wouldn't be moving to Idaho.
I agree Torrie. I saw this article about Idaho's unemployment and thought of some of the questions here. I've read some threads in MT and WY too. WY seems to "import" workers for certain positions, as there aren't enough locals. It is interesting to see the patterns of emigration from various states.

Also, I've been told by professionals relocating from states like FL, that they would rather deal with cold, than with the next Tornado, Hurricane or whatever they keep getting in the southeastern U.S.

I do think certain sectors of the market got flooded early while others continue to grow.

I can relate to Sage's comments about finding competent help and the cost to the employer.

One attitude I've seen so much in the recent years (and others who have posted here have also agreed with me off of the main posts), is many employees simply don't put the effort into their jobs they once did. When they can go across the block, or pick up a newspaper and have another job within a week, instead of learning new skills or learning better interpersonal skills, many just walk.

I'm old enough to believe one honors a 2 week notification process, or whatever the terms were when the employee was hired. I certainly look at the length of employment when I review potential applicants for jobs. And I've read comments in other states threads where people would gladly work for minimum wage, given what they don't have now.

I say we make the best of how the Intermountain West was ranked in general. More than ID made the list of the best states to find a job.

I do agree, with growth will come more people, more service sector jobs, and there must be major jobs to keep major employers in the region. However, I think some of th employers are changing in ID. What we may have thought would always be Idaho companys (Albertsons etc.) aren't. Yet, others are coming in and need their own workforce.

One interesting thing I read in the original article was the population of ID compared to some other states. I was surprised to find 2-3 other states with smaller populations than ID (others than those we most commonly think of).

Interesting comments.

MSR

Old 02-23-2008, 07:06 PM

59 posts, read 232,905 times
I will be looking for work in the Rexburg, Idaho Falls area.
I've got training in clerical, Shipping & Rreceiving, Inventory, Customer Service, Forklift and security experience. What could I expect to get paid for any of the above?

Old 02-24-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanie missouri View Post
I will be looking for work in the Rexburg, Idaho Falls area.
I've got training in clerical, Shipping & Rreceiving, Inventory, Customer Service, Forklift and security experience. What could I expect to get paid for any of the above?
Jeanie, go to this link:

http://lmi.idaho.gov/Portals/13/PDFS...y%20Report.pdf

It's the Idaho Department of Labor Occupational Employment & Wage Report for the state of Idaho. Scroll through it till you find the counties you are interested in researching. You can look at the salaries for the state as a whole or they break it down by counties, which is nice because it gives you an opportunity to compare salaries for the same occupations throughout the state.

Hope this answers your questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho