Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 10:22 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times

Advertisements

Fencing your own property is always the best course of action. We have finished fencing ours as neighbor dogs were constantly coming over and harassing our chickens who never left their own location near the barn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 10:40 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Fencing your own property is always the best course of action. We have finished fencing ours as neighbor dogs were constantly coming over and harassing our chickens who never left their own location near the barn.
Yes, and if he makes it a “legal” fence he can go after the livestock owners if their livestock comes through it.
When you live rurally in an open range state you should be prepared to fence.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:28 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,475,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no fight View Post
I have no quarrel with the ranchers in my area. They have their pastures fenced in and are careful about moving their cattle along roads. My beef (no pun intended) is with the people from out of state who move into a subdivision and then claim that the open range law allows them to let their horses and cows roam freely into their neighbors yards to eat their grass, shrubbery, and flowers. Not to mention the big hoof holes and piles of poop in the yards. I don't think this is the intention of the open range law but the County Commissioners disagree. Does anyone know what constitutes a "village" in the Statutes? I can't get an answer from anyone in government and can't afford to hire a lawyer to research it. I believe the area I live in would be considered a village but it is not incorporated. Thanks for any help! I don't want to try to start a herd district because it would make it impossible for the few ranchers in the area to move their cattle from pasture to pasture.
From a quick read, all I have found so far is this from the start of 50-101 in the Idaho statutes:
" The residents of any unincorporated contiguous area (village)..."

'Unincorporated contiguous area' seems like a pretty wide open definition for what a 'village' is in Idaho. But this is probably not a complete search.

You might look in to the nuisance laws, since this seems to restrict the enjoyment of your land, but be aware that if the situation is allowed by statute, then it cannot be considered a nuisance.

A few minutes with a local attorney may also be worthwhile.... they will often speak with you on matters of common interpretation of the law for no charge.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:54 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,475,123 times
Here is an Appeals Court ruling from case law that implies in the last paragraph that a 'village' is a distinct area, not just any broad unincorporated area.
https://caselaw.findlaw.com/id-supre...t/1077866.html

And here is a case against the 'Village of Garden City', but this is from 66 years ago, and it is now called the City of Garden City (so would presumably be an incorporated city). So perhaps 'village' is an old municipal designation that has been abandoned and now they are all 'cities':
https://casetext.com/case/state-v-vi...of-garden-city

And here is a recent US Census Bureau publication on governmental forms that indicates on p 76 that village, town and city have been used interchangeably in Idaho statutes.
https://www2.census.gov/govs/cog/2012isd.pdf

Hope that helps!

Old 05-21-2019, 01:16 PM

36 posts, read 31,876 times
and apparently bigfoot too. A woman crashed in, I believe Benewah county, to avoid a deer being chased by bigfoot....that was her story and she is sticking to it!!

Old 05-22-2019, 03:05 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meleemadness View Post
and apparently bigfoot too. A woman crashed in, I believe Benewah county, to avoid a deer being chased by bigfoot....that was her story and she is sticking to it!!
When I was living in Bozeman in 2002, a woman called 911 and reported she saw Osama Bin Laden hanging out in a saloon. She stuck to her story too.

Makes me wonder if Bin Ladin was hanging out with Bigfoot when the bars closed.

The lady in Benewah probably saw a black bear. I've seen them go after deer, and they can be pretty big sometimes.

Like Angus cattle, black bears will go out on the highways at night, and they are invisible on a dark night. I came very close to hitting a sow and 2 cubs once.

Moose can also be black, and they too will get out on the roads. It pays to be cautious on our mountain roads, especially in dark nights with no moon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho