Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2017, 11:18 AM

3 posts, read 3,170 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are moving from Wichita, KS to Seattle, WA in a few weeks at the end of February and driving there (with pets). I am not concerned about the drive from Wichita to at least Fort Collins, but I am wondering how prepared or worried I should be about road conditions once I get into the West. The route I've been hearing from Fort Collins is go up to Wyoming and all the way across on I80 then into Utah near SLC on I84, through Idaho Twin Falls and Boise, through part of Oregon to i82, then I90 through Yakima until I get to Seattle. I know this is the Idaho forum but as I will be driving through a large portion of Idaho I thought some of you might know best routes to avoid bad conditions.
I will mention I have never driven through mountains, nor any part of the West before. Living in WI most of my life and now coming from KS, it's definitely a different terrain from out West, haha.
Also, are there any scenic routes that would be best to take, if possible? Another route that has more scenic views I've been hearing about is keep going on I84 all the way across Oregon to I5 through Portland and get to Seattle that way. On google maps it says it adds an extra hour or two, but also many have said it's a safer drive in the winter.

Any information or suggestions at all would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 12:48 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swolff10 View Post
My boyfriend and I are moving from Wichita, KS to Seattle, WA in a few weeks at the end of February and driving there (with pets). I am not concerned about the drive from Wichita to at least Fort Collins, but I am wondering how prepared or worried I should be about road conditions once I get into the West. The route I've been hearing from Fort Collins is go up to Wyoming and all the way across on I80 then into Utah near SLC on I84, through Idaho Twin Falls and Boise, through part of Oregon to i82, then I90 through Yakima until I get to Seattle. I know this is the Idaho forum but as I will be driving through a large portion of Idaho I thought some of you might know best routes to avoid bad conditions.
I will mention I have never driven through mountains, nor any part of the West before. Living in WI most of my life and now coming from KS, it's definitely a different terrain from out West, haha.
Also, are there any scenic routes that would be best to take, if possible? Another route that has more scenic views I've been hearing about is keep going on I84 all the way across Oregon to I5 through Portland and get to Seattle that way. On google maps it says it adds an extra hour or two, but also many have said it's a safer drive in the winter.

Any information or suggestions at all would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks.
Pay attention to the weather forecast and road conditions. The conditions could be bad, this time of year. Portland would be a major detour out of your way. I'm not sure I-5 would be much more scenic than I-90, but if the weather conditions on I-90 are really bad, the detour to Portland could be worth it. Otherwise probably not.

Old 02-08-2017, 03:26 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
I-84 along the Columbia River Gorge was closed overnight in January because of an ice storm and mudslides. I-84 is fabulously scenic along the Gorge, but not necessarily safer in winter.

Once you're settled in Seattle you have all of the Northwest at your feet for scenic excursions! So my advice is, just watch the weather reports, get to Seattle safely, and start planning spring, summer and fall trips to Eastern WA, Oregon and Idaho.

You may not be used to mountain driving, but I'm sure you're used to winter driving. Just make sure you have blankets, water and protein snacks in the car.

The Pets forum has several threads about safe traveling with dogs/cats.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:08 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Looking at extended weather forecasts for end of month for a spot in Wyoming and Idaho, I see nothing of great concern. Things could change but interstate driving in daylight should be no special problem.

Will you be towing? If so, don't overload and be sure your brakes are at their best. The "hill" near LaGrande Oregon is perhaps the steepest, toughest spot.

I-84 is pretty flat and can be fast if not slick or icy. I'd probably take over I-90.

If you have pets and perhaps valuable in car I would probably save sightseeing for another time.

I'd try to time your arrival to Seattle for between 10am and 3pm or after 7 pm. Might not want rush hour traffic on the first day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: