Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2017, 06:46 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,751 times

Advertisements

How high are the NF roads trimmed up in NID? I am looking into setting up a truck camper for boondocking and exploring, and height matters. My wife and I like taking off up every road or track we can find, and camping in places out of the way. That used to mean backpacking and using a tent- at most. As we get older, and things like sleeping on the ground tend to make one more stiff than they used to, we have decided a truck camper is the way to go. In most places the rig will not be too big, but NID being so heavily forested has me wondering. I remember Upper Pack River Rd. being pretty grown over when we have been up it, but can't remember how low the overhanging branches were. Our rig will be no more than 7.5 ft. wide, and about 9 ft. tall. Just wondering if that will pose a problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 07:44 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,277,152 times
I don't think you have a problem with height. Most of the FS roads are unlimited height. I have not seen many "tunnels" in growth. There are places that get overgrown with bushes and you might have to plow through, so make sure you don't have a pristine, waxed, show quality paint job that you need to worry about.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:08 PM

No worries. We are going to be doing a lot of boondocking with this thing, all over the west, so it will get some dings and scratches as time goes on. Probably be so dirty most of the time, nobody would notice a scratch anyway. Not going to trash the rig, I am generally pretty careful, but I won't weep over a little evidence that we actually USED our rig. The first time we went up Upper Pack River, we did it in a 2012 Impala.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:39 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,251,693 times
Up 8-mile canyon road outside of Leadore, pulling my trailer. Some overhead clearance problems at times. Side clearances were more common and some large rocks/ruts on the side set the vehicle off camber.

But well worth the slow drive...

Old 03-17-2017, 02:58 PM

Looks like a pretty low "ceiling". So, am I all wet thinking truck camper? With a height of 9 to 10 feet, how limited are we going to be? Width will be no more than7.5 feet, likely more like 7. My wife and I love northern ID and NW MT, and will likely spend quite a bit of time there in the coming years, maybe even live there. Of course, we intend to explore all of ID, MT, WY, UT, and NV and AZ are not off limits. Much of the area is more open, but not all, and we want the best setup we can get for reaching the more remote corners and staying a few days in relative comfort.

We are looking at putting a custom built camper(by me) on a heavy duty pickup(no big lift or giant tires), totally self-contained for a week, more in a pinch. I worry that a trailer is more limiting than we care for, as I do not relish the thought of backing one down a mountain because the road is washed out and there is no place to turn around. In addition, a truck camper allows a night's stay in places a trailer would not be allowed. But I don't want to lock us out of places we want to go because the rig is too big. Any suggestions on sizing the perfect backcountry camping rig? I like a hard side camper, for those times you want to park and sleep while remaining inconspicuous, as well as being more amenable to cold weather use. Ideas?

Old 03-17-2017, 04:25 PM

332 posts, read 483,270 times
CB, take a look at this...

iKamper | Expandable Hard-Shell Roof Top Tent | Skycamp

I have never used one of these, but I have several of their Room-in-Room products for my kids and my son in college. The company is small, but ethical and honest. If they made a one of these a bit bigger, I might seriously consider one for quick trips. It would also get you up higher off the ground, which is a good thing in bear country.

Just an alternative idea.

Old 03-17-2017, 04:39 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,277,152 times
CB73, you can look at the map I posted in the snowmobiling thread. All the roads that have been groomed have had an 8'H groomer on top of at least 6' of snow. This is in the CDA National Forest I am talking about. I would worry more about ground clearance, tough tires and a chainsaw to cut through downed trees that completely block the road. Now there are some grown out trails, but that is mostly reserved for ATV (50") only so you would not be on them.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:46 PM

aiden_is, that is a cool idea, but we are looking for a more...ahhh... luxurious mobile residence. Mama(and Papa) likes a shower and good bed, no excuses.

elousv, that snowmobile thread is interesting. And I plan to have a chainsaw and other tools with us at all times. Self rescue is cheapest and least embarrassing. Been a prepared-for-everything kind of guy since I was a kid. Rig will sport heavy lug 10 ply tires and 2 spares, with a plugging kit and onboard air compressor, a winch sized 20% over the heaviest expected weight, a hi-lift jack, chains, come-alongs and other items aimed at making sure we get out of where we get into. As long as it will fit in, it will come out of anywhere my increasingly less adventurous self decides to take it. We may just need to accept the limitations of a taller rig, and roll with it. As far as ground clearance, we may be limited a bit by that, too. I do plan to use a 35" tire, and lift the truck only as necessary to allow wheel travel with that tire, but I have to take into consideration the road handling characteristics and center of gravity issues. Places like Livingston, MT and most of WY will test the rig's ability to handle high winds. Don't want a dually, and don't want to be on our side, either. Gotta keep to some middle ground...

Old 03-19-2017, 07:50 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
OP and anyone else who wants to go camping in the back woods, my theory of back country camping is to not take the rig where it doesn't fit. If you follow that rule, you won't get stuck.

The height of a truck mounted camper can limit where you can go. My family has a nice camper, but for out in the woods, we use a travel trailer with an off-road suspension.

Get yourself a US Forest Service map and if they show it as a road, you can probably go there, barring road wash-outs. If it is a snow mobile trail stay off of it, unless you are on horse back or on foot. Your truck most likely will not go there.

The elk hunters around here all use "hunting trailers". That's a very old travel trailer that is one step above completely trashed. That is so when they get caught in a high mountain snow storm, they can unhitch the trailer and leave it there, getting themselves and their truck out. By spring when the snow melts, that trailer is unusable, but it hasn't cost them much and they have been able to get themselves out.

We go snow camping, but only to places where we know the road will be passable to get out, maybe with a little digging. We've seen enough of people in the same area who are stuck and need help to get out because they were too confident about their vehicle's ability.

4WD is very useful, but it will not get you out of absolutely anything. It has its limitations.

Please, if you are going off-road, make sure someone knows exactly where you are going to be and when you will be back. That is so Search and Rescue knows where to look for you and doesn't waste time if you are not back at the arranged day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho