Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 11:08 AM

4 posts, read 8,814 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to move from southern California (Inland Empire ) and relocate our family (twin boys age 10) to the Couer D Alene area. We are interested in hearing from others who have made the move and or are also doing research like us. What are the pros and cons of building vs buying an existing home?
Has anyone purchased a new home in a tract development with large lots ( 1/2 AC or more).
We have lots of questions looking for input from others who have gone through this. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 12:29 PM

294 posts, read 544,647 times
I do the designs for new houses and additions to existing ones. The thing to consider on the new home idea is being realistic about what that costs. The average person is pretty behind the times about the price of building a home. The tract home builders are as busy as I have ever seen them. This demand has driven up the cost of existing homes as well.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:19 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
There are very few (if any) new developments with lot sizes of .5-1.0 acre in the surrounding area of CDA, Hayden, Post Falls, Rathdrum. Most are higher density in the cities or much larger lots of 5+ acres in the county. More money in higher density plus the control of lot splits by Kootenai County outside city limits. You will likely have to look at existing homes for lots of that size or build on an existing parcel that is not in a tract development. There may be a few lots left in the few large lot size developments and an agent can help you find them.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:23 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,770,912 times
If you really want land close in, investigate Dalton Gardens. It is a small city nestled between CdA and Hayden. Almost all the parcels are one-acre lots and a lesser quantity are two acres. There will be the oddball here and there that are less or more, but for the most part, one acre.

You will find three types of housing on them. Fancy-dancy, fairly new McMansions that are quite pricy, tear-downs which are not so pricy, but still between $350k-$400k at the low end, a few less. And finally, vacant properties which go for between $250k-$300k. (Keep in mind, these prices were about a year ago when I was looking for a retirement home. Probably more expensive now.)

Another option is that there are some developments in Hayden with properties that haven't been fully built out yet. Might be worth a look.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 01-14-2018, 05:52 PM

231 posts, read 251,079 times
From what I saw online, it looks like building permits wouldn't be that bad. There's a couple of knowledgeable realtors on here (& Javatom) who could probably give you more financial data on building new, renovating or whether you're likely to find something already built with features/amenities you're looking for in a house. It's a good question you asked and one that the wife and I will be figuring out in about 6-7 years when we flee Northern CA for Idaho.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:35 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
1/2 acre seems to be rather hard to find. There are new developments on the outskirts of Post Falls and Rathdrum with big houses on 5 acres. Priced over half a million.

Dalton Gardens has some older homes on what they call a "Dalton acre", which is just a hair under a full acre. Not much comes up for sale in Dalton Gardens and it is not a cheap area.

I know where there is a big nice house on a double lot in east coeur d'alene, close into town. The two lots are big ones. The house has been on the market for awhile because it is overpriced for the neighborhood. I have no idea if they are ready to talk.

My suggestion is that you contact Shaner here on CD. He's an agent who posts here often and he is knowledgeable about the area and he is easy to get along with.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:33 PM

What about Rathdrum or Athol?

Old 01-14-2018, 09:37 PM

Has anyone heard of Rolling meadows Ranch?

Old 01-14-2018, 09:38 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,770,912 times
Not many larger lots in Rathdrum. It's very "suburban". Growing fast with lots of new tracts, not not much on larger lots unless you look northeast of town along State Highway 53. Athol, from what very little I know, would have more of what would interest you. But for me personally, it's just a tad too far from the circus, (i.e., CdA). Know nothing about Rolling Meadows Ranch.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 01-15-2018, 12:33 AM

820 posts, read 1,740,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
1/2 acre seems to be rather hard to find. There are new developments on the outskirts of Post Falls and Rathdrum with big houses on 5 acres. Priced over half a million.

Dalton Gardens has some older homes on what they call a "Dalton acre", which is just a hair under a full acre. Not much comes up for sale in Dalton Gardens and it is not a cheap area.

I know where there is a big nice house on a double lot in east coeur d'alene, close into town. The two lots are big ones. The house has been on the market for awhile because it is overpriced for the neighborhood. I have no idea if they are ready to talk.

My suggestion is that you contact Shaner here on CD. He's an agent who posts here often and he is knowledgeable about the area and he is easy to get along with.
Thanks =)

So my number 1 question to people in your demographic is how important is internet too you? Internet can be spotty up here, and we have options, but if you want cable speeds, you need to stay closer to town. Dalton Gardens as said above would be a great area for you. Also the fringes of post falls.

What is your price range? Buying existing construction is currently cheaper than building. Most builders are between 5-8 months out on new construction as it has been super busy.

I would say it would come down to what creature comforts you want and what you want to do with your land. For example, my buddy wanted to be able to shoot on his land so we chose county and he has ok internet. 1 of my other clients wanted land, but only to not have neighbors so close.

I am always available to help, as I do a lot of relocation work for my clients. Hope this helps your search!

Last edited by volosong; 01-15-2018 at 08:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho