Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 12:02 PM

189 posts, read 205,010 times

Advertisements

Hello All I am new to this and would need some advice. I am a African American female (NJ native) currently engaged to a Caucasian male (Wisconsin native) Our age group is 35-40 We dont have any children and currently live in Wisconsin. We both have been eye balling different states for quite a while and looking to relocate around that area next year lord willing. I always been a city girl who enjoys simple nightlife, weekend getaways, shopping, basic fun things etc. As far as my fiance, he's more of a homebody nerdy type guy who mostly stays to himself. Just looking for place to purchase a home and live out our days. Is there anyone out there who can suggest some suburban to rural areas that offers a peaceful low crime, diverse place to purchase a home. I would $100-$150k with maybe 1 to 1.5 acre decent yard. If not maybe even a decent foreclosure. A decent healthcare system. My fiance has ADHD and Aspergers and I feel that this would be a great opportunity to live in a state with affordable healthcare that can help with his autistic issues So any feedback is accepted thanks for your time. Fun fact we are both fans of potatoes in every way I also wanted to know what areas if any would be accepting to interracial couples.

Last edited by arosilus; 05-10-2020 at 01:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 12:47 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,774,574 times
For $100-$150k house with a big yard, look at outer Boise places like New Plymouth and Payette. Going to be older / smaller places. Maybe look at Mountain Home, outer Twin Falls and Idaho Falls areas too. Glenns Ferry has really cheap houses, though it is 35-40 minutes outside Twin Falls.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-10-2020 at 12:58 PM..

Old 05-10-2020, 12:48 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
The ethnicity of you and your fiancé doesn't matter anywhere in the state. You will run into bigoted people wherever you go. That's just a fact of life. But on the whole, nobody will care what color your skin is or where your ancestors came from.

However, I don't think you'll find what you are looking for as concerning real estate. Anywhere with "excellent healthcare" will be in, or near, the larger urban centers. And that means much more expensive housing compared to being out in the hinterlands where property is a lot less.

There may be someplace that will fulfill your wants and needs, but it will take a lot of searching, and an element of luck, (being in the right place at the right time).

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 05-10-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
The ethnicity of you and your fiancé doesn't matter anywhere in the state. You will run into bigoted people wherever you go. That's just a fact of life. But on the whole, nobody will care what color your skin is or where your ancestors came from.

However, I don't think you'll find what you are looking for as concerning real estate. Anywhere with "excellent healthcare" will be in, or near, the larger urban centers. And that means much more expensive housing compared to being out in the hinterlands where property is a lot less.

There may be someplace that will fulfill your wants and needs, but it will take a lot of searching, and an element of luck, (being in the right place at the right time).

Thanks for the info. Actually the poster before you gave me some ideas on what to look for. While no where has excellent healthcare per say. I dont want to live IN THE CITY. a suburb or rural about 30-45 works out fine for me no issues. As far as healthcare i would like decent affordable healthcare especially for mental healthif that makes sense.

Old 05-10-2020, 06:47 PM

To be clearer, Payette, New Plymouth and Glenns Ferry are small towns way outside the big city. But might work because of being affordable and not impossibly far from the bigger city, at least for some. New Plymouth is growing, Payette holding even, Glenn Ferry losing population steadily for 10 years. You'd almost certainly commute to work from any of them.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
To be clearer, Payette, New Plymouth and Glenns Ferry are small towns way outside the big city. But might work because of being affordable and not impossibly far from the bigger city, at least for some. New Plymouth is growing, Payette holding even, Glenn Ferry losing population steadily for 10 years. You'd almost certainly commute to work from any of them.

thanks omg it looks really good also i was just looking at craigslist and nampa seems to be a good spots as well i am looking also into othere things as well. these places look to be kinda on the borderline of oregon. Just curious why glens ferry is losing population?

Old 05-10-2020, 09:34 PM

I don't know the Glenns Ferry story other than it was always small, a farm based community where a lot of the young people move away.

Yes, New Plymouth and Payette are near the Oregon border and could be considered suburbs of Ontario OR but Ontario is, in one way of thinking, a outer satellite of Boise too. Cheaper housing goes along in many cases with less convenient, appealing (of course). But Ontario can provide state sales tax free shopping and possibly nearer-by employment while Boise can provide shopping beyond the basics, healthcare, entertainment, etc. Living in relation to small town, modest city and big city instead of just one.

Nampa and Caldwell are big, closer suburbs. Housing is cheaper than Boise but more expensive than further out. Crime can be a bigger issue depending on neighborhood and lifestyle.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-10-2020 at 10:03 PM..

Old 05-15-2020, 03:47 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arosilus View Post
Hello All I am new to this and would need some advice. I am a African American female (NJ native) currently engaged to a Caucasian male (Wisconsin native) Our age group is 35-40 We dont have any children and currently live in Wisconsin. We both have been eye balling different states for quite a while and looking to relocate around that area next year lord willing. I always been a city girl who enjoys simple nightlife, weekend getaways, shopping, basic fun things etc. As far as my fiance, he's more of a homebody nerdy type guy who mostly stays to himself. Just looking for place to purchase a home and live out our days. Is there anyone out there who can suggest some suburban to rural areas that offers a peaceful low crime, diverse place to purchase a home. I would $100-$150k with maybe 1 to 1.5 acre decent yard. If not maybe even a decent foreclosure. A decent healthcare system. My fiance has ADHD and Aspergers and I feel that this would be a great opportunity to live in a state with affordable healthcare that can help with his autistic issues So any feedback is accepted thanks for your time. Fun fact we are both fans of potatoes in every way I also wanted to know what areas if any would be accepting to interracial couples.
You sound like someone I would love to have as a neighbor.

But...There is no real night life in NID except for bars. Spokane might have more.

Housing
a decent acre at $100-$150K is not going to be easy to find here anymore without serious DIY and Landscaping.

It is getting harder to find a modernized turnkey 3/2 under $300K. Maybe in a couple of years given dark clouds in front of us. I think nicer is $350K+. That is for a suburban house on a 0.1-0.15 acre lot.

Inventory is so low and so many retirees are moving here. Not easy to find That said, in 2012, many houses were under water and prices 40% down from 2007 peak. Took until 2016 for houses to top those levels. Now is not a good time unless you are willing to pay top dollar (and hopefully score a low int rate loan).

Peaceful: to an amount that seems unlimited.

Low Crime: avoid the bars and yes, very low crime. More in Spokane.

Diverse: More than you might think but not really racially. Remove the idiots and self-righteous and people are very warm here. Slightly better in Spokane.

Healthcare: System? CDA is OK. Spokane is better. Bonner and Boundary county --less system and more personal and private care.

Needing care: Hmmmm....I would think Spokane would offer you more choices.

Potatoes: Boise area?

Finally, interracial: I am a mixed race product though I pass. I would like to say that it is not a big deal here. And with the exception of a few yahoos, I see no issue. However, the influx into SP are often "refugees" from other states. They sometimes bring their baggage with them. And once in a while you may hear of an incident. I think the incidents occur with much less frequency than elsewhere, but...because it is so peaceful and happy here, when an incident does occur I think it shocks the system down to the soul.

I think you seek the perfect place. I applaud you, but plan to spend much more for that out West.

Best,
S.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
You sound like someone I would love to have as a neighbor.

But...There is no real night life in NID except for bars. Spokane might have more.

Housing
a decent acre at $100-$150K is not going to be easy to find here anymore without serious DIY and Landscaping.

It is getting harder to find a modernized turnkey 3/2 under $300K. Maybe in a couple of years given dark clouds in front of us. I think nicer is $350K+. That is for a suburban house on a 0.1-0.15 acre lot.

Inventory is so low and so many retirees are moving here. Not easy to find That said, in 2012, many houses were under water and prices 40% down from 2007 peak. Took until 2016 for houses to top those levels. Now is not a good time unless you are willing to pay top dollar (and hopefully score a low int rate loan).

Peaceful: to an amount that seems unlimited.

Low Crime: avoid the bars and yes, very low crime. More in Spokane.

Diverse: More than you might think but not really racially. Remove the idiots and self-righteous and people are very warm here. Slightly better in Spokane.

Healthcare: System? CDA is OK. Spokane is better. Bonner and Boundary county --less system and more personal and private care.

Needing care: Hmmmm....I would think Spokane would offer you more choices.

Potatoes: Boise area?

Finally, interracial: I am a mixed race product though I pass. I would like to say that it is not a big deal here. And with the exception of a few yahoos, I see no issue. However, the influx into SP are often "refugees" from other states. They sometimes bring their baggage with them. And once in a while you may hear of an incident. I think the incidents occur with much less frequency than elsewhere, but...because it is so peaceful and happy here, when an incident does occur I think it shocks the system down to the soul.

I think you seek the perfect place. I applaud you, but plan to spend much more for that out West.

Best,
S.

hmmm ok well thanks for the info.

Old 05-19-2020, 05:26 PM

74 posts, read 132,136 times
Spokane is where you want to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho