Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2020, 08:05 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,749,912 times

Advertisements

https://www.krem.com/article/news/pl...2-e01b1dc6b692

We were on the lake when it happened. Had been right there and luckily headed south ten or fifteen minutes before the crash.
What a terrible tragedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 12:34 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
I would think a collision over the lake would be hard to do. Such a sad thing!
I wonder what happened....

Old 07-06-2020, 07:39 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,680,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
https://www.krem.com/article/news/pl...2-e01b1dc6b692

We were on the lake when it happened. Had been right there and luckily headed south ten or fifteen minutes before the crash.
What a terrible tragedy.

That's the kind of experience that makes you think hard about "luck," or "fate." Either way, so glad you're safe. It must have been a horrible sight. 3 children are among the victims.

Old 07-06-2020, 07:59 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,749,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
That's the kind of experience that makes you think hard about "luck," or "fate." Either way, so glad you're safe. It must have been a horrible sight. 3 children are among the victims.
Thanks, CFF. It’s heartbreaking.
So, so glad we’d left the area. My five year old grandson would have been so traumatized.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:38 PM

440 posts, read 240,508 times
Both pilots were very experienced pilots.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:33 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,476,447 times
Small plane pilot here.... You'd be amazed how hard it can be to spot another airplane when flying and intentionally looking for it. Searching in all directions, plus high and low, for a speck in the sky is not at all like spotting another car on the same road when you already know where is should be.

If you are sightseeing or otherwise distracted, and not expecting another aircraft, you could easily not see it. And if one plane is above the other going in approximately the same direction, and one climbs or descends, then one crew will never see the other. I do not know if there is a common radio frequency for aircraft position announcements over that area.

Super low odds, but the odds/probabilities are not zero.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:45 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
Small plane pilot here.... You'd be amazed how hard it can be to spot another airplane when flying and intentionally looking for it. Searching in all directions, plus high and low, for a speck in the sky is not at all like spotting another car on the same road when you already know where is should be.

If you are sightseeing or otherwise distracted, and not expecting another aircraft, you could easily not see it. And if one plane is above the other going in approximately the same direction, and one climbs or descends, then one crew will never see the other. I do not know if there is a common radio frequency for aircraft position announcements over that area.

Super low odds, but the odds/probabilities are not zero.
I wonder if both planes and ADS-B (In/Out) with traffic alerts and if they were talking to ATC.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:22 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,476,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I wonder if both planes and ADS-B (In/Out) with traffic alerts and if they were talking to ATC.
I would guess (100% purely guessing) they were just on local pleasure flights VFR (which, for the non-pilots, means Visual Flight Rules, not normally under the supervision of Air Traffic Control). But that will all come out in the NTSB reports. Looks like it is not controlled airspace over much/most of the lake and the CdA airport is only Class E, so no ADS-B required out over the lake or around the CdA airport as far as I can tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: