Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2020, 10:12 AM

726 posts, read 329,010 times

Advertisements

We have more than 6 acres and had a couple dead trees taken down and cut into firewood. We chose the forestland "bare land and yield" option to designate our forestland for county assessment. Do we have to do (pay) anything as a result of these trees being taken down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 04:14 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,542 times
I don't believe so. With Bare Land & Yield you pay taxes when you sell timber, or when you sell your property. I think there is a way to avoid the yield tax when the property changes hands if the buyer is willing to assume that liability, but I'm not sure how that works.

Dave

Old 09-03-2020, 12:36 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Did you receive any money for the firewood? That would be income.

Myself, i would deduct the cost of removing dead trees as "maintenance" expense.

However, to be safe consult the state forester., who should know the rules.

Or, the extension agent probably knows the forestry rules.

Old 09-03-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Did you receive any money for the firewood?

No. It cost us quite a bit to have the trees taken down and cut into firewood, which we kept. We got the value of the firewood, but that doesn't bring us near to coming out ahead.

Old 09-04-2020, 07:03 PM

32 posts, read 31,126 times
Evening,

Y'all have to forgive me as I am chiming in a bit late on this but this thread caught my eye... I've been looking at buying some land in MT, and ID is another option that I still am throwing up in the air. What is this talk about "bare land & yield" and such?

I ask because when I was living in WA, what was on your land timber or not was yours to do with. Is this something specific to ID ?

Old 09-04-2020, 08:12 PM

In Idaho some property owners can file a timber management plan with their county and get favorable property tax treatment in return. A minimum of 5 acres must be covered under the management plan. If your home is located on the property it will be assumed to sit on 1 acre, so in that case the smallest property eligible is 6 acres.

Once the plan is filed, that portion of your property will be assessed at a flat rate per acre which is set by the state. The state categorizes properties into 3 (I think) categories based on timber productivity.

When you do this their are two options you can choose from regarding how your property is taxed. The 'bare land and yield ' option gives you the lowest annual tax bill, but in return you pay taxes on the sale of any timber. If you sell the property without having recorded any timber sales you will owe a tax based on the assumed increase in timber value over the time you owned the property.

In the productivity option you pay a little more each year based on the assumed annual increase in timber value, but pay no tax if you sell timber, or when you sell the property.

Most people who own forested property will find they save on property taxes either way.

Dave

Last edited by Cnynrat; 09-04-2020 at 08:27 PM..

Old 09-04-2020, 08:21 PM

I should add that the most common way to get a forest management plan is to have a forester come out and walk your property with you. They will then write the plan based on what you tell them about your objectives and submit it to the county. Most counties have a list of foresters they recommend, but you are free to use your own, or I suppose even write your own plan.

Back in 2014 I think we paid a few hundred bucks for the plan for our 20 acres. As someone who has never owned forested land, I learned enough during that few hours to make the cost worthwhile even setting aside the future tax savings.

Your plan does not have to be focused on timber harvest. Our primary objectives where to maintain the health of our forest and mitigate wildfire risk.

Dave

Old 09-05-2020, 07:25 AM

Good explanation, Dave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Most people who own forested property will find they save on property taxes either way.
That's putting it mildly. Like TheGreatOxen, we were unaware of this forestland thing when we first bought the property, so we didn't send anything in to the county. Big mistake! The assessment of the property practically doubled from what it was the year before under the prior owners (who had obviously filed their "forest plan"), with a corresponding increase in property taxes. Believe me, once we figured all this out, we got a forester out here, walked the property with him, learned all about our trees, and he wrote up a plan and sent it in to the county. This saved thousands in property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho