Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2021, 10:28 AM

2 posts, read 3,408 times

Advertisements

Hello folks, long time lurker/first time poster.

To give a little insight, I'm currently in the outlying area of Houston, TX. Myself and my wife are in our mid 30's, we have 2 young kids (2, 4). Originally from Las Vegas, NV, I was sent out here for work. I have an opportunity to relocate to the Rathdrum/CDA area. I'll be flying out there next week for work, I'll get a sample sized idea of what the area is like. Obviously, we'd plan to come down for an extended period if we did move forward.

Our biggest issue (not counting hurricanes, possible tornadoes, flooding...shall I continue?) that we have here in the Houston area are mosquitoes. They are particularly fond of my wife and youngest child. I know they exist almost everywhere and especially in the wilderness, but I can't imagine they are remotely as bad as they are here in this swamp. Or am I wrong? When we first moved out here, I always wondered why everyone had huge homes. I finally realized its because you're locked up inside for 5-6 months out of the year because of the miserable weather, bugs/snakes, and storm events.

Mosquitoes and humidity are the killers here for us, on top of the fact that there is almost zero outdoor activities here unless you drive several hours away. Prior to moving here, we frequently hiked, rode bikes (mountain bikes), rode ATV/dirt bikes, and hung out at the lake to name a few activities. All of the lakes around here have gators and tons of snakes, there is virtually no public land designated for OHV areas, and we have some MTB trails but after every significant rain event, they're flooded out and require rebuilding by the public.

I'm aware of the large amount of snowfall in the Northern Idaho region and that would definitely require some preplanning and preparation for the cold winters, I'm not blind to the fact that we will have to load up on the Carhartt gear and learn how to shovel snow. We are no strangers to rain, so that isn't a factor. I'm also aware of the housing market.

My main questions are;
How bad are the mosquitoes?
Humidity - I know it's not near as bad as the Gulf Coast, right?
Any areas to avoid or look into based on schools/family friendly?

I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this rambling and provides any information. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2021, 11:03 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,103,672 times
There are mosquitoes, because there are lakes and rivers, and marshy areas around some of them. Plus they will find any collected water to breed in (bird feeders, old tires, buckets, planters, etc.). I doubt they will be as bad as Houston, but they are certainly around and especially around the lakes/rivers/woods at dawn and dusk (i.e. when the fishing is usually best). The mosquito season will be much shorter too. If you take care of your own yard you may not notice them much outside your home.

Humidity will not be as bad as the Gulf Coast. I've spent several weeks/months in Biloxi MS and Montgomery, AL, plus lived in Virginia and Oklahoma. It will be more humid than Las Vegas, but you'll likely find it enjoyable compared to Houston.

I don't live in the CDA area, but have been there many times. I'll let others discuss the desirable/less desirable areas to live.

Good Luck

Old 05-25-2021, 01:11 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,760,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadanights View Post
My main questions are;
How bad are the mosquitoes?
Humidity - I know it's not near as bad as the Gulf Coast, right?
Any areas to avoid or look into based on schools/family friendly?
In spite of the winter precipitation, North Idaho is somewhat semi-arid. Summer humidity is low. Not as low as the southwest desert, but way lower than the Houston area. I live west of the Rockies specifically because of the low humidity. I have a lady friend who wants to marry me, but there is no way I will move to Conroe to be with her, (and because of family, she won't come here). The humidity in your area is horrible! I rarely even notice it here, and I'm outside pretty much every day doing something.

I have not found mosquitoes to be an issue. Again, probably because of being semi-arid. I spend most of my time in the mountains, and have not found them there. There are other little flying pests, and I won't go certain places this time of year because of them. They don't bite. They are just a nuisance. When I'm near the lakes and rivers, I'm usually cycling. And because I'm always moving, if there are mosquitoes, they don't bother me. (There is an awesome road cycling network around here. Pretty good mountain biking too.)

Lakeland School District has a good reputation for academics. Lakeland covers Rathdrum, Athol, Twin Lakes, and most of the area between them and over to near Hayden. Huge school district, area wise. Cannot really say what areas to avoid because I did not come here with school-age children, so that was not a concern about where to move.

p.s. This life-long Southern Californian who came here when he retired has not found the winter snow to be an issue. Daytime high temperatures are usually around freezing, but it doesn't feel that cold. I walked the dogs every day this past winter. Most I wore was a lightweight down jacket and gloves, (sometimes the heated ones). But I'll admit that it was too cold to ride my bike. I could bundle up, but it just wasn't worth it for an hour or two ride.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 05-25-2021 at 06:35 PM..

Old 05-25-2021, 01:36 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Yes, there are mosquitoes.

It rains and snows a lot, so there is humidity.

I've only seen one little garter snake.

There are outdoor activities alone the lines of hiking, boating, camping, snowshoeing, except that everything is so crowded it is difficult to get a boat onto the lakes because the boat trailer parking is always full up.

I'm not a big fan of ATVs tearing up the trails, causing erosion, and destroying the peace and quiet. Mountain bikes (human powered) seem to have places where they are welcome, as long as they are polite about hikers and horses.

Old 05-25-2021, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,408 times
I appreciate the info, I'll ask for the waterfowl hunting spots later

Old 05-25-2021, 04:13 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12-stringer View Post
Humidity is about perfect for my guitars , which is commonly around 45%.
Now there is an observation with a good reason LOL. That is a bit higher than average for much of the interior West.

Old 05-25-2021, 04:26 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,661,333 times
We've only spent summers in North Idaho so far but we are completing construction on our retirement home in the same general area as 12-stringer. We've been coming up from SoCal every summer since 2004, except for last summer, for obvious reasons, and it seems that every summer has its own special bug problem. Some years it's mosquitos, and you'll spend a lot of time applying repellent to every exposed inch of your body. Some years the skeeters are all gone, but you'll be battling yellowjackets! Some years it's the black flies, and they draw blood. Some years it's those white-headed wasps. And so forth. There are probably really good environment/climate reasons for those cycles. Spring rains, no spring rains. But in all those years I can't say that mosquitos have been particularly annoying compared to where I spent summers growing up, along a NE lake.

We always have a screen tent where we have dinners outside, and in bug years it's nice just to have a retreat, but out front porch is not screened, and we usually don't have a problem sitting there, even after dark, as long as we've sprayed ourselves with Off.

Old 05-31-2021, 02:12 PM

43 posts, read 87,133 times
We’ve been visiting North Idaho for 5 years and are relocating for good to Sagle late this summer. I was amazed during our first visit to CDA and Bonner’s Ferry, including hiking in the Hope area, to experience no mosquitos. That, the low humidity and the ease of access to outdoor recreation sold us on the area. We have been intermittent visitors since then and I only experience mosquitos when hiking in the more boggy areas around Round Lake. However, we have had an ongoing battle with yellow jackets and/or hornets that take up residence in our bird houses, my Weber grill, and any cranny they can find. Winters are much milder than I grew up with—the low humidity really makes a difference. I think based on what you outlined your family would thrive in the area around CDA/Rathdrum or points a little north.

Old 05-31-2021, 07:36 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,861 times
Mosquitos aren't bad but the gnats can be irritating in the summer. Little buggers get in my nose and mouth out at the barn. Humidity is low compared to your location and winters are particularly drying on my sinuses. My kids went to Post Falls school district and turned out just fine but we were very involved parents. I don't think the rain is too much but we came from the west coast where we could get 100" a year. Our area gets a bit more than the rest of Idaho but still only 22" a year.

Old 06-30-2021, 05:39 AM

11 posts, read 29,221 times
Just wanted to add on - I grew up there moved to Midwest for a few years and am headed back.

People there *think* there are mosquitoes and humidity but it is no where close to what Midwest/South is. It is basically non existent for both. Every time we come back home from Idaho I’m reminded of how much I hate the humidity. This last trip we sat outside for hours by the lake with minimal issues. Do they exist? Yes. Do they exist like they do in Texas? Absolutely not.

The winters are also much more mild than here in Chicago area. There is more snow but it never gets as cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho