Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2022, 01:05 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,774,574 times

Advertisements

A little generalized or conceptual yakking might drift in from time to time and might fit, but... back to Twin Falls as a focus.

I read that Twin Falls made at least one big offer to Micron in 90s to get a piece of the employment pie. I guess it didn't happen. Is Micron employee count in Twin Falls well under 100 or around zero? What are the chances of getting a sliver or more of the announced huge expansion?

I guess it could depend if they have or ever would go into a metro below tier 5.

Their announced expansion in Manassas VA is in a smaller city but part of a tier 2 metro and only 30 miles from the center. 120 miles to Boise is probably too far, at least near term... until it isn't.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-09-2022 at 01:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2022, 03:01 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
A little generalized or conceptual yakking might drift in from time to time and might fit, but... back to Twin Falls as a focus.

I read that Twin Falls made at least one big offer to Micron in 90s to get a piece of the employment pie. I guess it didn't happen. Is Micron employee count in Twin Falls well under 100 or around zero? What are the chances of getting a sliver or more of the announced huge expansion?

I guess it could depend if they have or ever would go into a metro below tier 5.

Their announced expansion in Manassas VA is in a smaller city but part of a tier 2 metro and only 30 miles from the center. 120 miles to Boise is probably too far, at least near term... until it isn't.
Only speculating, but I doubt Twin will get next to nothing from Micron that's new.
Given the high probability of unexpected glitches and problems that will pop up in the new factory, it's close proximity to Micron's older factory really minimizes those problems.

If brand new/experimental technology is used in the chip's design, I think anything that would be farmed out of Boise would go to the Innovation Center in Idaho Falls, a facility built for that purpose.

The one big digital-world advantage Twin has is the city's dairy expertise. I don't know how much dairy farming is computerized now, but if it's like the entire industry, it's there and increasing.

With the help of Micron, Twin could become a leader in this specialized sector of the computer industry, and since dairy is a very large agricultural specialty, it would bring great promise to Twin.

I also believe that being last to the post is sometimes and advantage in digital technology, not at all an impediment.
Boom and bust vs. tried and true; one holds long-term promise for a community and the other only promises more for a very short time period.

Old 09-09-2022, 07:14 PM

I dunno how computerized dairy is already but it could be getting high or I agree soon will be. It would probably be somebody else though applying hardware and software to the sector. Maybe with an assist from the Innovation Center. I did see 1-2 ag-tech firms listed as present already in Twin Falls. I didn't pursue details on them at this time.

Old 09-09-2022, 07:26 PM

30,000 acre fire at the moment in Jerome County...

Old 09-09-2022, 08:02 PM

Perhaps CSI is / will train folks for some jobs with Micron.

Perhaps Twin Falls business could provide some materials / crews for plant construction and / or the necessary housing expansion (in Boise or partly in Mountain Home).

Old 09-09-2022, 10:27 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times
I fully expect Twin will become increasingly important to Idaho. I was just positioning them where they belong, number 4 or 5 as Idaho cities go. Boise, Idaho Falls, Coeur d’Alene, then perhaps Twin. But metro areas may change this. As in metros are more important than actual city limits.

Old 09-09-2022, 10:43 PM

It is probably locked into 4th place for knowable future. But 4th place in a state is fairly important relatively speaking and could be interesting.

Old 09-10-2022, 11:41 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I fully expect Twin will become increasingly important to Idaho. I was just positioning them where they belong, number 4 or 5 as Idaho cities go. Boise, Idaho Falls, Coeur d’Alene, then perhaps Twin. But metro areas may change this. As in metros are more important than actual city limits.
Yup.

As far as I can see this, Boise/Nampa/Meridian/Caldwell metro will be the largest for decades to come. C d'A will also continue to grow, as will I.F., Pocatello, and Twin.

Their relative size doesn't mean much to me though, as they all are such major hubs each offers the amenities of much larger cities.

What does a person want in a big-city life?

That's a question our rural metro areas seemed to have answered a long time ago. They all give country folks who live nearby a lot of the conveniences, selection, and services that are found in big cities.

...and in return, appear to now be developing some big-city hassles to go along with them.

Old 09-13-2022, 09:26 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,221 times
The Micron expansion is going to be huge both in terms of jobs, wages, new growth, but more importantly job expansion in other fields. Boise already has a healthy and vibrant tech industry spread throughout the valley and has a tech corridor downtown, so this will only add to it. Having a major university downtown adds to the pie. Meridian also has a lot of new major employers as well as tech. It may just be Idaho's 2nd or 3rd most important city now regarding economic opportunities.

Here are updated population numbers:
Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boise_metropolitan_area

As of the 2021 estimate, the Boise–Nampa, Idaho Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) had a population of 795,268,[3] while the larger Boise City–Mountain Home–Ontario, ID–OR Combined Statistical Area (CSA) had a population of 850,341.[4] The metro area is currently the third largest in the U.S. section of the Pacific Northwest after Seattle and Portland, and is the 75th-largest metropolitan area in the United States.

Old 09-13-2022, 10:05 AM

Yes. Meridian will get a big part of top new jobs that don't go to Boise proper. More than anybody else, though it is the same metro so I hadn't broken them out separately before. May not be "full up" for long time, though it may eventually lose some fans as density increases further.

Twin Falls might get some but how much is sketchy. Probably not a lot of the top jobs. Twin Falls vs. Idaho Falls and Pocatello shares in top jobs is unclear to me. Probably more continue to go to the latter 2. Talked Twin a bit because it was under-done but don't mean to over-do it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho