Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2022, 09:06 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,776,492 times

Advertisements

I need to make a run to Boise tomorrow for city business. The several times I went this year, I took 95, and had no issues, the last time a few weeks ago. Is it "safe" to get through now? I'll be heading back Thursday afternoon. Other route is through Tri-Cities, which is about the same time duration, but about fifty miles more.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2022, 05:02 PM

209 posts, read 316,836 times
Local forecast for tomorrow:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...ibextid=qC1gEa

Old 11-29-2022, 07:30 AM

Decided to take the freeways. Made it safely. Snowing heavily when I left the CdA area, but cleared up by the time I got to the other side of Spokane. Minor freak out when the lit highway sign on the other side of Umatilla said that I84 was closed at Pendleton. Decided to press on anyway.

An hour delay going over the Blue Mountains. Traffic filtered down to a single lane so that the trucks could install their chains. Walking speed for several miles before Deadman Pass Rest Area, then it opened up to decent speeds, (e.g. 45 MPH).

Once over Deadman Pass, I wondered where all the cars and trucks went. Road was really open.

Will be driving back to NID Thursday afternoon. Probably take the same route.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.

Old 11-29-2022, 08:32 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,904,034 times
The Interstate(s) will most likely be the safest route back since there are major snow storms set to begin tonight and last through Saturday. The Treasure Valley Weather HQ is predicting up to 18" in mountain valleys, 3 feet in the mountains and up to 4" here in Boise.

Old 11-29-2022, 10:58 AM

1,256 posts, read 1,113,308 times
An alternate route if they close Meacham/Deadman's Pass again. If you make it through to La Grande (Ladd Canyon can close too), you can take Hwy 82 out to Elgin, OR and then take Hwy 204 over Tollgate and down into Walla Walla. For some reason that road almost never closes, even when I-84 is closed. I've driven this pass many times, and it will likely be snow covered, but well plowed and sanded. I drove from Elgin to Great Falls, MT and picked up I-90 in Spokane, so will cover your roads to NID. I'd take Hwy 12 out of Walla Walla, then several other roads until you get to Colfax, WA. Then generally north on Hwy 195 to Spokane. It's not a bad drive even in the winter. I never got stuck, and only put cable chains on my Subaru Forester once. That was mainly for the 13 miles of unplowed roads from the in-laws into Elgin, but kept them on over the pass that one time. Good luck and enjoy the drive.

Old 11-29-2022, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
An alternate route if they close Meacham/Deadman's Pass again. If you make it through to La Grande...
I wondered about a route other than I84 or 95. Sounds beautiful. I'll be pulling out the maps tomorrow. Thanks.

Old 12-02-2022, 10:09 AM

Came back to NID yesterday through Tri-Cities. Roads were clear and (mostly) dry. Easy drive, traffic very light.

Thanks all for the help.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho