Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Idaho to be a part of the Pacific Northwest?
Yes. 18 45.00%
No. 22 55.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 12:15 PM

1,066 posts, read 782,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The way I've always thought of the PNW is everything west of the Cascades, or the Coastal Mountain in BC.
I think what you're describing is more commonly referred to as the Northwest Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2023, 12:21 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
I think what you're describing is more commonly referred to as the Northwest Coast.
IDK.

It's getting to the point that on my next drive, I'll be afraid to ask for directions!!

Old 01-10-2023, 12:51 PM

817 posts, read 626,327 times
The Pacific Northwest is Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Idaho, and Western Montana. This NFL map of the US also shows the Seattle Seahawks territory which is basically all of the PNW, including the majority of Idaho

Old 01-10-2023, 01:31 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The question was specifically do you consider Idaho to be a part of the Pacific Northwest? I guess you looked and couldn't find anything in Idaho with "Pacific Northwest" in the name? Yeah if you leave "Pacific" out of Pacific Northwest, then it fits Idaho.

There seems to be quite a few things in Idaho with Mountain West in the name.

Boise State University is in the Mountain West Conference.
There is a Mountain West Bank based in Boise.
Mountain West Group is a real estate company based in Boise.
There used to be a Mountain West Airlines based in Boise.
Mountain West Rentals & Sales is in Chubbuck, ID.
Mountain West Products is in Rexburg, ID.
Mountain West Dairy Services is in Idaho Falls.
Mountain West Medical Services in Meridian, ID.
Mountain West Farm Equipment in Idaho Falls.
Bavarian Mountain West Motorcycle Club of Idaho.

I could go on the list is endless. There is a lot of Mountain West stuff in Idaho, but I can't find anything named Pacific Northwest in Idaho. Why would that be?

This is what is silly about the discussion. I and possibly a few others have pointed out the difference between Pacific Northwest and Northwest and even Inland Northwest.

A quick Google search for Boise (and I already know this as I live in Boise) brings up several businesses with "Pacific Northwest" in their names, and many more include "Northwest" in their names.

Searching Coeur d'Alene brings up even more businesses with Pacific Northwest in their names.

I guess this all makes Idaho more awesome. We are Pacific Northwest, Northwest, Mountain West, and Rocky Mountain all in one.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 01-10-2023 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: added a sentence

Old 01-10-2023, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
The Pacific Northwest is Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Idaho, and Western Montana. This NFL map of the US also shows the Seattle Seahawks territory which is basically all of the PNW, including the majority of Idaho
That is a definition of the PNW of the continental USA.

There seems to be other definitions that include areas in the northwest of the Pacific Ocean that include BC and Alaska.

Old 01-10-2023, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
This is what is silly about the discussion. I and possibly a few others have pointed out the difference between Pacific Northwest and Northwest and even Inland Northwest.

A quick Google search for Boise (and I already know this as I live in Boise) brings up several businesses with "Pacific Northwest" in their names, and many more include "Northwest" in their names.

I guess this all makes Idaho more awesome. We are Pacific Northwest, Northwest, Mountain West, and Rocky Mountain all in one.
It is possible.

I live in the Southwest. The Southwest of Canada.

Old 01-10-2023, 01:56 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
I teach geography at the college level. Most people would disagree with you when it comes to the Idaho Panhandle region. It has "Pacific Northwest" engrained into its very DNA.

Lewiston on north to the Canadian border is very much the Pacific Northwest. The Idaho panhandle has commercial ties to the Columbia River and Lewiston is the state's only water port connecting to the Pacific Ocean.

Historically, Spokane was the major financial and commercial hub for this region, not Boise. The Idaho panhandle was actually designated as part of Washington Territory long before it was adjoined to the rest of Idaho. Another difference is that the panhandle region was explored primarily by French Canadian fur trappers and Jesuit Catholic priests. The old Cataldo Mission near Coeur d'Alene is evidence of this. Contrast this with the fact that the rest of Idaho was settled by Mormons.

Additionally, the Idaho Panhandle is geographically and ecologically linked to the Pacific Northwest and contains the state's only rainforest (https://sandpointreader.com/conserva...alth-of-idaho/) which it shares with Washington and British Columbia.
As far as I know, the Idaho Panhandle was originally designed to include a good chunk of NW Montana! Look at the map--why make that break to the west, instead of continuing the Idaho eastern border straight north from the eastern slope of the Bitterroots? That's only logical! The anecdote I heard was that the surveyors got confused about which mountain range they were at. They were meant to strike north at the location of Missoula, but wandered too far west...But I remember another explanation about local interests being at play...

Aside from this (mainly pointless, IMO) issue of labeling, I love Idaho regardless of how it is labeled. I suggest Great Northwest: GNW.

Old 01-10-2023, 06:57 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Those are TV markets.

Old 01-10-2023, 08:06 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
As far as I know, the Idaho Panhandle was originally designed to include a good chunk of NW Montana! Look at the map--why make that break to the west, instead of continuing the Idaho eastern border straight north from the eastern slope of the Bitterroots? That's only logical! The anecdote I heard was that the surveyors got confused about which mountain range they were at. They were meant to strike north at the location of Missoula, but wandered too far west...But I remember another explanation about local interests being at play...

Aside from this (mainly pointless, IMO) issue of labeling, I love Idaho regardless of how it is labeled. I suggest Great Northwest: GNW.
Sidney Edgerton, the first Territorial Governor of Montana lobbied congress for the land, and he got what he wanted. And I don't think there was enough people in the rest of the Idaho Territory to do anything about it. When Boise became the Capital, the population was only a few hundred people, and without doing more research I would guess it was the largest city in the Idaho Territory at that time.

Sidney Edgerton - Wikipedia

Old 01-10-2023, 08:43 PM

314 posts, read 486,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
I teach geography at the college level. Most people would disagree with you when it comes to the Idaho Panhandle region. It has "Pacific Northwest" engrained into its very DNA.

Lewiston on north to the Canadian border is very much the Pacific Northwest. The Idaho panhandle has commercial ties to the Columbia River and Lewiston is the state's only water port connecting to the Pacific Ocean.

Historically, Spokane was the major financial and commercial hub for this region, not Boise. The Idaho panhandle was actually designated as part of Washington Territory long before it was adjoined to the rest of Idaho. Another difference is that the panhandle region was explored primarily by French Canadian fur trappers and Jesuit Catholic priests. The old Cataldo Mission near Coeur d'Alene is evidence of this. Contrast this with the fact that the rest of Idaho was settled by Mormons.

Additionally, the Idaho Panhandle is geographically and ecologically linked to the Pacific Northwest and contains the state's only rainforest (https://sandpointreader.com/conserva...alth-of-idaho/) which it shares with Washington and British Columbia.
I agree with you. The panhandle of ID - the part in the Pacific Time Zone is in the PNW. Grangeville and Camas Prairie are connected with Lewiston. Lewiston of course is locally connected to Clarkston. Lewiston is also tied to Moscow which is twinned with Pullman. All four of the latter cities are tied to Spokane, which dubs itself as the capital of the Inland Northwest - a sub region of the PNW. CDA is becoming more and more integrated within the Spokane region as an ID focus city. The northern parts such as Sandpoint and Bonner's Ferry are also in the Spokane tv market like every Idaho county in Pacific Time. I live in WA but very very close to Idaho. In Lewiston, the Seahawks and Mariners are the team of interest. I don't see all that many BSU fans in Lewiston or Moscow but in addition to UI or LC State, I see a lot of Cougars, Gonzaga, and Eastern WA gear. Granted some of that might be Washingtonians but it proves my point that the area is linked to Spokane. If someone is flying out of the area, most Idaho panhandle residents fly out of Spokane. Very few will drive to Boise when Spokane is basically within 2 hours for all but maybe Grangeville or Kamiah/Kooskia where it is 3 hours. It is a minimum of 3 hours from Riggins where the time changes to Boise airport and the panhandle really starts at Grangeville.

As I said, I live in WA but I see a bunch of Vandals stuff even in my tiny town and I do all of my business in Idaho each week going back to when I lived in Lewiston. We are all connected.

Boise is arguable if you want to call it PNW or Intermountain. There's no way that Eastern ID is part of the PNW. They are linked to SLC, Utah, and it seems like many cheer for Utah or Colorado teams. But I don't profess to speak for them since they might as well be another planet. Rexburg, home of BYUI is of course going to draw ties to Utah. ISU has no real rivalry with UI but they haven't shared a conference or subdivision very long. The panhandle is probably more connected with Missoula and far western MT more than Eastern ID. Boise is the glue that holds the state together, but Spokane (or Kootenai County if you want to stay in ID is where people gravitate). My company is based in Spokane and a huge number of employees live in CDA/Post Falls.

Also: they key word is "Inland" or "Inland Northwest" because if you search using those words you will get a lot of results in North Idaho.

Last edited by Glenview94602; 01-10-2023 at 08:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho