Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2023, 07:33 PM

7,380 posts, read 12,673,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Pictures of the bathroom seem to show a regular toilet. Although not in great detail. What does a water delivery cost, and how long did it usually last you?

You guys are making some interesting observations, please keep them coming.
There is a water delivery service in Hayden, PrairieH2O:
https://www.prairieh2o.com/potable-water-hauling.

Phone: 208-687-1315
Email: prairieh2o@gmail.com
Address: 11889 N Tracey Rd, Hayden, ID 83835
They deliver to all of North Idaho, but I don't know if they deliver all the way to Lewiston. Same thing as Parnassia says, they charge for the delivery, so the more water you can store, the better the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2023, 01:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
I suggest you bop on over to ID and do a couple loops from Moscow to Lewiston. My favorite small town is Kendrick and Juliaetta. There is a lot of varied terrain and vegetation, services, recreation that might help you determine an area you prefer. Tough that so many people from OR and WA have recently fled to ID. That fuels prices and unrest among local people. BTDT when the Texans chased us from Colorado in the 1970s, and CA invaded WA and OR in 1990s. Unfortunately, the influx of people and $ has a very negative impact and displaced local long-term residents. CA is the only state with prop13 tax relief, so the other western states have become unaffordable at local wages and income. Some from PNW have had to flee to SD (income tax free and cheaper COL, but brutal winters.)

Old 06-08-2023, 01:15 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
For water storage options, you could develop rain / snow and gray water reclamation. If soils permit digging, you can excavate a 20,000 gal tank in a backyard and use aqua blocks (or plastic milk crates) to construct a reservoir.

Old 06-08-2023, 10:28 AM

7,380 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
There is a water delivery service in Hayden, PrairieH2O:
https://www.prairieh2o.com/potable-water-hauling.

Phone: 208-687-1315
Email: prairieh2o@gmail.com
Address: 11889 N Tracey Rd, Hayden, ID 83835
They deliver to all of North Idaho, but I don't know if they deliver all the way to Lewiston. Same thing as Parnassia says, they charge for the delivery, so the more water you can store, the better the price.

I just imagined a water truck hauling thousands of gallons of water headed down the Lewiston Grade... So, probably not!

Old 06-09-2023, 08:13 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,017,434 times
Hi,

Political conditions here in WA have me at least thinking about heading over the border to the Lewiston area - I have lived in Idaho Falls before and would prefer not going back to that winter. Currently live near Prosser in eastern WA. The Lewiston area appeals to me mostly for not having a much more severe winter than around Prosser (Yakima to Tri-City area)

I have 13 acres of pasture, an old farm house just under 1000 FT3, a couple of garages. I am on a state highway, in any case I don't want to move to a house on a dirt road. Here on rural land you can shoot so long as your projectiles don't leave your property..

I don't care about schools, except that the taxes for them need to not be too high.

No new builds, certainly no HOA infested subdivisions.

Do you think this would be difficult to find?

Thanks,

-Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
OK
I will take that under advisement. What I do not want is the meddlesome, busybody type of HOA.
On a slightly different tack, what about cell service and internet in this part of Idaho? I want a certain amount of "wilderness experience" but don't want to over-do it.

I get it and feel exactly the same as you do on all of above.

Last edited by nowhereman427; 06-09-2023 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: more information

Old 06-10-2023, 12:11 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
One thought I had regarding the second cabin's lack of a well or septic system was the possibility the property might have a spring with a strong flow on it.
My family had 2 different cabins that both had no indoor plumbing, but with a continual supply of fresh spring water a single step outside the door.

The water was piped in both locations from springs that were uphill that delivered a lot of water. The pipes could have been set up inside both houses, but that would required the water to flow in the sink continually, as gravity fed the flow.
It was easier to just put a stand pipe next to the door and fetch the water as needed from it. The water was always headache-cold, around 35º out of the pipe, and it ran continually into a concrete catch basin connected to some concrete drain piping that carried the water off to a boggy spot where it eventually drained into a nearby creek.

The sites were different from each other, but were similar in their setup and usage. Nowadays, both those old cabins are long gone, but their standpipes are still there, still running water, now into troughs for the animals to drink.
But at the mouth of the pipe, the water is still plenty pure enough for humans to drink, and it's very fresh and tasty.
The flow runs year-round and never freezes over in the winters.

Both places used outhouses, well downhill from the water supply, for sanitary purposes.
The outhouse can be a secure, clean, and comfortable place to relieve oneself when it's placed in the right spot, equipped with the needed stuff to keep it sanitary, and built with some care and precision.

One thing most folks don't know anymore is how good quicklime is to break down human waste. A 50 lb. bag of lime with a soup-can cup to hold it can keep an outhouse odor and insect free when the stuff is sprinkled in and around the hole after every use. A bag will last for over a month for a family with 4-5 members using the outhouse daily- everyone soon learns how much needs to be sprinkled pretty quickly.

There's only one cabin we use now, a much newer one we built in the 1990s. We built it with an indoor bathroom and used the same system that was in the old cabin, but added some connections in case we decided to dig a well for water.

We didn't need the well for the next 20 years, but around 2008, after several years of extreme drought, that trusty old spring that had been reliable for 100 years began to falter. So we dug a well and hit the same source. The spring runs nearly dry now, but never goes completely dry.
My Dad's Dad grew up as a hillbilly in western NC mountains, and described this continuously running spring fed sink in several houses up there.

I'm starting to see some houses with 10+ acres on paved roads with well and septic though. I guess in my old age I'm not as eager to "rough it" as when I was a kid.

Old 06-11-2023, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I just imagined a water truck hauling thousands of gallons of water headed down the Lewiston Grade... So, probably not!
Like Alhambra Water?

Old 06-12-2023, 10:50 AM

1,255 posts, read 1,109,717 times
Internet-wise: Since you want to be outside of town, you might be able to get some sort of DSL internet, but speeds will need to be checked for each property, i.e. how far away they are from the switch box and how many properties are tied to that box. I would think gig speeds are out of the question. Your fastest service will likely be Star-link. I've heard from others that if the property itself isn't currently allowed on the Star-link network, then you can purchase/rent a Star-link mobile/RV model and just use it on your property. Supposedly the RV model costs around $10 per month more for the service. Not likely to get any form of 5g home internet. Maybe a 4g LTE using a hotspot, but that is unlikely too. You'd just have to do property by property comparisons.

Old 06-12-2023, 07:19 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,794,511 times
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...36235938_zpid/

May not be on paved road.

Others

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...rch/Orofino_ID

2 mobiles if you'd consider them.

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-12-2023 at 07:29 PM..

Old 06-12-2023, 08:08 PM

yOU might just be better off with a CB radio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho