Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 02:29 PM

777 posts, read 3,199,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
The cold weather isn't a real bother for those of us who love outdoor winter sports. If someone hates snow and cold, they'd be crazy to pick ID over AZ. For us, it was one of the reasons we CHOSE to relocate to the panhandle. And quite frankly, when it's 15 day and 5 at night, your body doesn't feel as cold. If you love somewhere with 30 degree temp differentials, THAT feels cold to me. We run racetrack events around the southwestern US (CA/NV) and early spring or late fall, it'll be 38 deg when we get to the track, and 75 at 1PM. The nearly 40 deg temp swing is a real killer.

I'll take cold any day over hot and sweltering...one more plus of north Idaho....
I'm with you 100% on that. I hate heat. It was 90 degrees here for a couple of days last week....yuck. It's overcast and cloudy today....I love it.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:07 PM

30 posts, read 212,562 times
Seriously, what are hobo spiders? Are there a lot of bug problems in Idaho? Lots of mosquitoes in the summer? I live in Florida now, where insects are a way of life, and the heat helps them grow really big down here. Until I saw that spider comment it hadn't even occured to me to ask what kind of bug issues you guys have up there. So now I am - what kind of bug issues do you have up there? I'm also wondering - are the winters really that much different in eastern Idaho compared to Boise? I hear it's a lot windier in SE Idaho, is this true, and what are the other differences?

Old 02-08-2007, 09:31 PM

171 posts, read 1,053,012 times
Yes, the winters are quite different in the Bose area vs the SE. Boise gets less snow and is certainly warmer in the winter. No real winter wind issues at all.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:55 AM

126 posts, read 483,491 times
But Boise is a lot hotter in the summer too, isn't it?

Re: bugs. I didn't know about the spiders either, but I was out there last summer and shocked to see horses out during the day w/o their fly sheets (I'm a rider). Then, I noticed that none were swishing their tails. Compared to VA, there are NO bugs! And I think VA is slightly better than FL for bugs.

There just isn't a down side to summers in S/E Idaho.

I hope you get a reply to the spider question b/c I just don't know about that.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:16 AM

3 posts, read 8,079 times
I Know There Are Spiders Everywhere But Someone Posted That Idaho Had The Largest Population Of These "hobo" Spiders In The [b]]world!!!!!!!!!!! My Husband And I Currently Live In New York On Long Island And We Plan On Driving Out West This Summer To Check Out Places To Live. Idaho Is On Our List But I Have To Know About These Spiders! We Currently Live In The Suburbs And We Are 1 Hour From The City. When We Come Out West We Do Not Want To Live In A City But We Do Not Want To Be To Far Away From One And An Airport. We Live In A Small Town Now And Thats How We Want To Keep It.
Anyone Have Any Suggestions On Where We Should Go On Our Trip Out That Way?

Old 02-09-2007, 10:17 AM

171 posts, read 1,053,012 times
If you "google" hobo spiders you should be able to get a wealth of accurate information. I haven't heard much about them in the Boise area, but I have heard about them in other aprts of the state. I just would hate to give you any misinformation.

Boise is hot in the summers! Too hot in my opinion. We have a place in Stanley that we live at all summer. Stanley is a perfect summer place.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:54 PM

30 posts, read 212,562 times
Ok, first about the hot summers - how hot is "too hot"? I'm used to Florida summers, where it is sweltering 24 hrs a day for 6 + months a year. As long as it is better than that, I'll be ok.

As for the spiders, I googled them and now I may never recover! I learned way more about huge spiders than I had any business knowing. Some of the things I found are that (and this was just my interpretation, so anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about anything), first of all they are poisonous and I saw some really unpleasant pictures of the bites. Also, you have to keep your bed at least 2 feet from any walls and make sure your covers don't touch the floor so the spiders don't get into your bed while you're sleeping! You can't keep shoes on the floor or they will get in them and bite your feet when you put on your shoe. Pesticides are not recommended because they can kill off competing species of spiders as well, and those help to control the hobo population (I guess killing other spiders is bad, but it just sounds like more kinds of spiders running around to me). It goes on like this, so now I'm fairly traumatized. Hopefully it will pass. So, for any of you Idaho residents looking to scare off people thinking of moving there, definately mention the spiders!

Old 02-09-2007, 04:54 PM

777 posts, read 3,199,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney1128 View Post
Ok, first about the hot summers - how hot is "too hot"? I'm used to Florida summers, where it is sweltering 24 hrs a day for 6 + months a year. As long as it is better than that, I'll be ok.

As for the spiders, I googled them and now I may never recover! I learned way more about huge spiders than I had any business knowing. Some of the things I found are that (and this was just my interpretation, so anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about anything), first of all they are poisonous and I saw some really unpleasant pictures of the bites. Also, you have to keep your bed at least 2 feet from any walls and make sure your covers don't touch the floor so the spiders don't get into your bed while you're sleeping! You can't keep shoes on the floor or they will get in them and bite your feet when you put on your shoe. Pesticides are not recommended because they can kill off competing species of spiders as well, and those help to control the hobo population (I guess killing other spiders is bad, but it just sounds like more kinds of spiders running around to me). It goes on like this, so now I'm fairly traumatized. Hopefully it will pass. So, for any of you Idaho residents looking to scare off people thinking of moving there, definately mention the spiders!

Dear aracnophobia: Just meesin with you

We have Black Widow spiders here in Southern California, and their bites are gnarly too. It is basically the same thing as far as shoes etc goes, but they tend to stay outside, and they run and hide when they see people. I doubt you would have much to worry about.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:34 PM

241 posts, read 998,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney1128 View Post

I had to laugh about the bed off the floor part cuz my son's bed is on the floor up against two walls and we have never had any prob with hobos. We have seen them but never on or in his bed. The worst one that I have seen was in Shelley ID on the east side of the state and it was big but easy to squish. The best part of spider season is when the babies hatch and float off in the wind. We always had fun watching them and my kids would name them like in Charlote's web.

You can spray your foundation for spiders and not really worry about them for many weeks but we never have. My daughter and I are alergic to certain spiders that are here but have never had a problem with them. Yes we have been bitten by a tiny lil black spider but a skeeter is worse.

As for the heat, it can get pretty hot but if you have central air it is no big deal and it always cools off at night and I am in South Central ID.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:47 PM

121 posts, read 738,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JALPP View Post
What On Earth Are "hobo Spiders"?
They're the ugliest nastiest freaking things on eight legs I've ever seen. I'd prefer tarantulas to these things. They infest this entire area and make themselves at home in your house every fall. They prefer basements but will take the main floor if you don't have a basement. If bitten you'll find yourself with a huge infected crater in your skin that takes months to heal. Do a Google search and see for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho